Win10 Anniversary Update woes: One step forward, two steps back

Karlston

With the leaked release of a Self-Healing tool, Microsoft shows it’s trying. But big problems still persist

Microsoft has had no end of problems with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, version 1607. I'm happy to report that some progress has been made on fixing these issues; unfortunately, others have appeared in the interim.

This is the fourth in a series of articles about problems users have encountered with this latest version of Windows, which arrived on Aug. 2. The first article was about the major, overriding problems people were having (and continue to have) with the update. Some of the installation glitches have been solved -- or at least the level of complaints has subsided -- but they aren't gone. Many users have problems with the installer, settings still get broken, crapware app tiles get installed. Remarkably, the bug that broke Cortana has been re-cast as a method to intentionally turn off Cortana -- except, it doesn't exactly work that way. (More about the mysterious Cortana disappearance as tests unfold.)

Foremost among the Anniversary Update bugs is the freezing problem, which was the primary subject of my second article. It's been 17 days since Anniversary Update was released, and weeks since it finished beta testing, but I'm still seeing many reports of PCs that simply freeze after installing the Anniversary Update. The original Reddit thread on the topic now has over 900 comments. The primary Microsoft Answers thread has 475 entries and Microsoft has closed the thread, blocking any new posts.

There are lots of possible solutions that work in some cases and not in others. I counted several dozen approaches suggested in those two message threads alone. Microsoft has done very little, except consolidate some links to user-created partial solutions and stifle discussion.

Yesterday a new tool appeared on the Microsoft download site that's supposed to address the freeze. Mark Mazzetti, a Windows Insider with a history of Surface Book problems, posted:

Immediately after the W 10 Anniversary update, as many of you have experienced, things started to 'freeze' that had never frozen before… The only way to get things unfrozen was to reboot each time.  I called Surface Tech Support and was fortunate to get a fellow in the Redmond, WA support center.  He said this was a "known issue" and that MS had created a Tool to fix the issues but that it was testing this Tool so it has not yet been released as part of the new System Update.  It worked for me but with a few issues…

HOWEVER... There is a new issue that I believe is a result of this Selfhealing patch.  There is now random FLASHING of the screen - the same kind of flash you see when you reload the entire OS either via Recover from the cloud or using a USB stick recovery image.  The flash I describe shows the rectangle box that you see in an instant when you reload the OS.  MS is aware of this. 

The process for downloading and installing the beta test tool is not straightforward. If you want to sacrifice your PC to the Anniversary Update beta testing gods, follow Mazzetti's instructions in the post.

My third article discussed the way HP was giving up on its HP Drive Encryption product. That has now been confirmed by HP: If you are using HPDE, you're out of luck if you want to install the Anniversary Update. Instead, HP recommends you use Microsoft's BitLocker.

Speaking of which, there's a new problem reported in the TechNet forums about locked-up BitLocker drives in the Anniversary Update. Microsoft engineer Matthias Wiora reports:

I've installed Windows 10 1607 as an inplace upgrade to my three Windows 10 Enterprise installations. I had Bitlocker enabled with TPM on all devices. Running the update on the first device (DELL E7440) the update process completed successfully - everything seemed fine. On the next reboot my machine showed me that Bitlocker is missing a file (error code 0xc0210000). All automatic repairs failed. So I've run the command line tool, used manage-bde to turn encryption off on the disk, disabled the key protectors (delete doesn't work btw) and got my windows 10 coming up again.

Following up I've tried to reset the TPM chip (clear TPM) which resulted in the mandatory UEFI Prompt to acknowledge that, but the operating system opened up tpm.msc, but did not show up the wizard completion (as I've got that under previous Windows 10 installations). Finally I've tried to perform a bitlocker system test, which performed the reboot but showed up that the test did not succeeded.

The thread includes a temporary workaround that appears to be successful in some -- but not all -- situations.

Microsoft was supposed to roll the Anniversary Update out to corporate update servers on Aug. 16. I'm seeing plenty of problems with the update not appearing, and/or the rollout failing. It's not yet clear whether there are congenital defects, or if the enterprise update mechanism is being intentionally throttled.

I'm still encountering problems with Edge not responding to an "X" click, and not closing when exiting the last tab. Most of the other problems documented in the previous three articles are still alive and kicking. The massive updates released last week that upgraded PCs to version 1607, build 14393.51 and version 1511, build 10586.545 may have fixed some problems -- particularly with the upgrade installation -- but many still remain, and they can be debilitating.

I still think it's smartest to hold off on the Anniversary Update. Use the blocking mechanisms I've described to keep Microsoft from forcing it onto your Win10 PC. And for heaven's sake, don't go looking for trouble by manually installing the Anniversary Update, build 1607. Clearly Microsoft isn't pushing the update out as quickly as it could. There are good reasons why.

UPDATE: Brad Sams, posting on Thurrott.com, has details of yet another major problem with the Anniversary Update. It seems that "millions of webcams," including the Logitech C 920 that I use, crash when working with Skype. Technical details are in the article, but the bottom line is that the Anniversary Update breaks two specific camera protocols, and Skype (among others) can't take it. 

Source: Win10 Anniversary Update woes: One step forward, two steps back (InfoWorld - Woody Leonhard)

InfoWorld - Woody on Windows

AskWoody.com - Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows and Office

• Replies 56
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 10 - the O/S fanboys don't want to admit is broken and fucking shit/garbage. Yeah (y)

I installed this shit on a laptop second partition (3rd gen Core i3 processor) and yup, the webcam bug is surely there. What a piece of shit O/S. Lol. I love all the bugs. Utterly useless. How about W7 SP2 with DX12 and W10 could go fuck itself.

You dont give any mention to the windows ten haters like you I have read all over the internet about users using windows ten and having no problems using it I have been using it no problems does a user having no problems with windows ten make them a fan boy??  If you answer is yes stop posting your wasting forum space and everybody's time.

24 minutes ago, Holmes said:

You dont give any mention to the windows ten haters like you I have read all over the internet about users using windows ten and having no problems using it I have been using it no problems does a user having no problems with windows ten make them a fan boy?

No it doesn't make them a "fanboy" any more than all those not using Windows 10 being "haters". :)

I'm sure there are plenty of Windows 10 users who are running the AU without any problems. Those without webcams, and not running Avast or Kaspersky, and not booting from an SSD and with data stored on other drives and not using Bitlocker and not using Cortana and (insert other bugs here) are fine. :P

There are more bugs in the AU than the average ants' nest (how did this mess slip by Microsoft's much vaunted Insiders?), and Woody's advice above to steer clear of it until Microsoft fix them is (IMO) sage advice. And BTW that doesn't make me a hater, just someone who's risk averse and considers a functioning un-updated system infinitely preferable to an up-to-date (potentially) broken one.

Win10 Anniversary Update woes: ‘freeze’ issue thawing, but BitLocker problems emerge

20 minutes ago, Karlston said:

And BTW that doesn't make me a hater, just someone who's risk averse and considers a functioning un-updated system infinitely preferable to an up-to-date (potentially) broken one.

Well well well well well said!!!

I was talking about hey not you karl and as for what you said you dont think there users using all what you mentioned without problems its not impossible for some users to be unlucky.  Im running hard drives with data on them and cortana no issues it is possible to run windows ten with all those and not experience any of those bugs not all the bugs are all specific to that particular feature of windows ten someone could have a webcam that doesnt work properly with windows ten and so on and so forth.  Im not saying there are no bugs I am saying those users that think windows ten the stable one is beta is wrong.  Im not a fanboy and Im not a hater Im open minded optimistic.

When a Windows 10 user says "its all good with my OS,everything runs great" it can mean two things.

He might be a fanboy or he is just a newb user who doesn't care about how things actually work as long as the job is done.

The truth is that Windows 10 is the worst OS ever made and that's because after all that advertising,forcing and begging to install it,

its still beta and FULL of bugs

Conley Powell

And the fact that it works for this, that, or the other user, butters no parsnips. By this time, it should work for almost every user. (Not necessarily every user; with sufficient ingenuity, one can trip up the very best operating system.) Clearly incompetence is now the order of the day at Micro$oft, from the top to the bottom.

Well surprise Im not a fanboy and Im not a newb and windows ten works fine on my computer (actually my virtual machine).  If there is a user of windows ten and its not working on there machine its a user that doesnt know what there doing or its a bug or there unlucky.

10 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Well surprise Im not a fanboy and Im not a newb and windows ten works fine on my computer (actually my virtual machine).  If there is a user of windows ten and its not working on there machine its a user that doesnt know what there doing or its a bug or there unlucky.

VM - not a primary OS - checked.

>>>> If there is a user of windows ten and its not working on there machine its a user that doesnt know what there doing or its a bug or there unlucky.

Means - roughly estimated based on the outcry in the MS Support forums, other IT sites/forums etc etc - at least half of the userbase doesn't know what they are doing, or it's a bug or they are very unlucky.... 

Yeah, this is about right..... Right? ;-)

57 minutes ago, Paft said:

Windows 10 running rock solid on 3 machines here, fam.

Same here running good on 2 PC,s but that don't help people who has these problems, unless you want ship them you're compute.r And I'm going keeps mine lol . 

Using Windows 10 on 5 devices here, no problems with the OS at all, only with Microsoft Edge (it freezes sometimes on my PC). I got these versions. Even if I have the same version on my laptop, it doesn't freeze there... strange...

PC: Windows 10 Redstone 2 (Build 14905) - MS Edge problem here

Laptop: Windows 10 Redstone 2 (Build 14905)

Tablet: Windows 10 (November 2015 Update)

Phone 1: Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Lumia 535)

Phone 2: Windows 10 Redstone 2 (Build 14905) (Lumia 650)

I still don't understand all the hate... I installed Windows 10 on dozens of PC's this year alone... for friends and their friends... only 2 - 3 complained about not knowing where certain Settings were... otherwise they didn't report any problems... I think having problems with the OS depends on how you use it, or how much you know about it and also depends on the hardware specs (probably) even though my tablet has only 1 GB RAM and runs Win10 pretty much smoothly... (I rarely use it anyway)

Conley Powell

I have considerably more confidence in Woody Leonhard than in Holmes or Misaki2010. And if Holmes isn't a "fanboy", then the term has no meaning.

/conspiracy

Windows 10 offers a lot of opportunities. M$ can track everything including pirates, feds don't need to crack into devices and M$ can sneak around almost everything (even present backdoors) by simply shipping smaller updates. That's why W10 is marketed as a service and supported for the lifetime of the device where it's installed on. Imagine what you can do with 300+ million PC's being connected to the internet at the same time and all the bandwidth can be redirected. A huge botnet for large-scale DDoS operations, only a update would be required to enable or disable this functionality.

/theory

Man this is insane. ?

One tip NEVER do the update or upgrade if their is a new ISO, do a fresh install back up your stuff save yourself the frustration and hope Microsoft really needs to think hard on how to fix their upgrade procedures it ALWAYS breaks something but fresh installs DO NOT there is a reason they are ISO'ed and tested on fresh VM every time so that is equal to fresh install to me it seems they have just patched in the upgrade process and limped it along for a decade now.

17 minutes ago, D1v1n3D said:

One tip NEVER do the update or upgrade if their is a new ISO, do a fresh install back up your stuff save yourself the frustration and hope Microsoft really needs to think hard on how to fix their upgrade procedures it ALWAYS breaks something but fresh installs DO NOT there is a reason they are ISO'ed and tested on fresh VM every time so that is equal to fresh install to me it seems they have just patched in the upgrade process and limped it along for a decade now.

I installed mine about a week before it came out , clean installs  i tired to do a upgrade on one pc  and  when it rebooted it error  out and booted back into th2 . So I cleaned installed My Gateway that came with Windows 8  and it works great.

.I was kind of worried  about clean installing  my Dell because I read on older versions of Windows 10 many had trouble at Dell Forum  . But I took the risk and it paid off it worked without a glitch and after I clean installed Redstone 1 and then i downloaded Linux Mint  18  and made another partition and it installed it clean on my dell  without a glitch  ether .

So im happy because the BSOD  i had in Windows 8.1 on my Dell is gone maybe it came from some of the OEM crap that came  on it. 

More then likely Dell software they are not my favorite, they have had issues from bios virus's from the factory along with parts shorting out right after warranty. My uncle again, huge pc sales guy in his own business, that is what he pushed after Packard Bell and IBM weren't keeping up in the desktop/laptop pc market anymore. Now it is currently HP, if I were to go any root instead of self built, I would go Asus all the way, they make a major amount of oem boards that are rebranded and/or slightly modified by the oem's for varies reason we all know. However Asus is a major player in Japan and they are very particular and proud on how they put their tech together. So long as you don't buy it from Walmart or Target for some reason I swear those are refurbished ones that they try to pull off as new.

48 minutes ago, D1v1n3D said:

they have had issues from bios virus's from the factory 

Also i updated the bios  back when i 1st installed TH2  on my  Dell  but any such "system" would require physical access to the machine to reflash the bios.  This is FUD. There is no such thing as BIOS Virus on Dell machines. I been using them since 2001 without any problems   A extra extended warranty dont set you back but  another 100 bucks anyways when you buy a new PC lol. BIOS virus are very rare and the way most of time is spread if someone plugs in a infected USB drive on a clean install.of and O/S

If im a fanboy based on those "terms" then paft steve and no risk are also fanboys and there not having a conversation with haters is like a christian trying to convince a atheist god exists I wont try to get those of you who think Im a fanboy to understand where Im coming from you need a birds eye view on the situation Ill simply agree to disagree with you guys and calling me a fanboy is understandable if Im calling you a hater you could very well be users that simply disagree with windows ten in your own way and your entitled to it who am I to say you guys are not entitled to your opinions.  With that said I agree if your going to install windows ten make sure you have a image backup and then your not sol.  Using windows ten in a virtual machine is not a primary operating system your right Im using the virtual machine in my primary operating system windows seven professional sixty four bit and I havent upgraded to windows eight or windows ten because Im comfortable with what Im using and dont feel like upgrading right now it doesnt mean windows seven is better.

@Holmes then I don't even know why you started arguing with me when I said:

Windows 10 - the O/S fanboys don't want to admit is broken and fucking shit/garbage. Yeah (y)

I installed this shit on a laptop second partition (3rd gen Core i3 processor) and yup, the webcam bug is surely there. What a piece of shit O/S. Lol. I love all the bugs. Utterly useless. How about W7 SP2 with DX12 and W10 could go fuck itself.

When did I say anything about you? There are other fanboys on here (like saeed) that won't admit there is anything wrong with W10. You on the other hand just said you are using W10 in a VM and W7 x64 as the main O/S .... so basically you have the same operating system as me?

I'm using the W10 as a "TEST" and not a Main O/S because I'm not stupid. I'm not using in a V/M because I want to test out all the B/S features, see what's broken and such, the spying software and the telemetry programs out there, do they contain malware? Do they really stop the W10 spying? And so forth? Do you get my drift. Saeed goes off like W10 is the holy grail when it's broken and still in BETA stages. Hell the ANNIVERSARY update even broke more computers out there.

So if you are using it in a V/M then why are you talking shit about me? Makes no sense. All these posts like this one: One step forward, two steps back, go to TENFORUMS.COM and you can see that as soon as they were dared to be posted in NEWS section or GENERAL the FAGGOT FANBOY ADMINS delete the articles ASAP, because W10 is their PRECIOUS and nothing is wrong with them.

Hell I even got blamed for pointing out the truth by sourcing articles from here giving full credit to source and users, and the reason for my ban: SPAMMING ... LMAO and it was PERM too.

The ADMINS @ TENFORUMS.COM (2 faggots only BTW) are a bunch of CUCKS, FANBOY, MS DRONES, THAT TAKE IT UP THE REAR. If you say anything "bad" which is TRUTH (LIKE THIS ARTICLE) about W10 then it will get AUTO-DELETED and you risk getting banned.

Try finding this [OP] article on that site. You won't why? Because it's run by a bunch of bias CUCKS that think W10 is god. So they can suck it, and screw that fanboy website. I never said smack about you, so don't start with me.

And don't say I waste peoples time on here when I have posted numerous facts and accounts myself, and I've had members like Karl, Steven, Haxion, and countless others agree with me that W10 is still broken, 1 year after the release. So no I don't have a problem with you, I have a bone to pick with FANBOYS.

That fine with you?

bonus rep/points from ME for anyone who gets this reference: have a wonderful day everyone :D

t5g6x2.jpg

Thats a indiana jones reference Love that movie he has to pick which cup is the correct one the villian in the movie picks a cup and its the wrong cup and turns into that skeleton and then indiana jones picks the ugliest cup on the table and chooses it and the wizard says you chose wisely hahahaha.  I admit I use windows ten in a vm and I havent checked as much features as I could I have checked a couple and havent had any problems yet.  I was simply saying like the users in this post saying they have this many computers running windows ten and its running fine on there computers there are windows ten computers running fine and windows ten computers that are not.  There are also a thousand different system configurations and some dont work properly with windows ten and some work fine with no problems it depends on if you have a system configuration that includes hardware that is going to not get along with windows ten the bugs you mention. 

I dont have a problem with you and Im sorry your having problems with windows ten if you are having problems.  I respectfully agree to disagree with one step forward and two steps back then again I havent tested all features yet we are going to see.  I have to say one bug (webcam bug or any one bug) doesnt make windows ten a pos operating system.  I remember back in the day me and my brother trevor were excited to get windows me and we thought it was going to be windows two thousand for gamers and my brother brought it home one night and he installed it and said nevermind windows me is a joke and I agree with him.  The worst operating system ever to be released is windows me the second the original windows eight (point one and update one made it better I dont know how much better) windows ninety five is third and windows ninety eight first edition is fourth.

you forgot windows Vista I'm pretty sure that one is right behind ME as a Tech in the field I have had to reinstall Vista within a couple months on most of my clients computers that used it. one way or another it would crash glitch or get infected far to easy.

I will test my fresh installed windows 10 AE and see if Skype with my Logitech webcam works then I will try it on my other machine that has the upgrade version of AE.

Archived