Hello from Prince Edward Island Canada

Guest Kama51

Guest Kama51

Hi from PEI, Canada's smallest province. I am a recent retiree who found this site from a friend. As a novice to the use of computers and the internet, i was advised that this place would be a great place to read and learn. i am looking forward to both.

• Replies 17
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi from PEI, Canada's smallest province. I am a recent retiree who found this site from a friend. As a novice to the use of computers and the internet, i was advised that this place would be a great place to read and learn. i am looking forward to both.

:welcome:

Welcome to nsane forums. Your received advice was correct, you can read and learn many things here. You can also kick back and relax in the jokes section :D. Enjoy your stay and tell your friends about nsane forums. ;)

Just remember to take a look at the forum rules and if you have any questions about the rules you can PM any staff member.

Guest Kama51

Thanks for the welcome. First thing I did was read the rules, :-). Can someone tell me which forum is best to post questions in? For example as a new internet user I am not familiar with some of the terms I see here. Such as what is file-sharing? What is a demonoid? What is a tracker? These are all new to me and I just quickly scanned one or two of the forums.

File-sharing is what it says it is: the sharing of files. If ou use your Internet connection to upload or download files, you're sharing.

Demonoid is a torrent indexing site which also provides a tracker. A torrent is a small file that contains hashes for a certain file, this file is located at many different computers all over the world(or in some cases just one computer). When you download the .torrent file and open it in your torrent client(try uTorrent(Google it)) the file will act like a 'link', you open the file and then your client will start downloading from either just one computer or various computers all over the Internet, seeders are people who have the whole file(100%) and leechers are people who have a part of the file(0-99.9%). Now Demonoid as a site will provide you with these torrent files(you'll have to search for them) and you can download them. The Demonoid tracker will be contacted every time someone opens a .torrent file that includes the Demonoid tracker and will act as a 'search machine' for seeders and leechers, then when it finds them it will contact you directly to those seeders/leechers and you will begin to download.

Almost forgot: :welcome:

• Administrator

:welcome: to the forums.

Let me make it short what shought said about torrents, torrents are just small links to the normal sized or huge downloads. Demonoid is a site that provides that links. There are many sites that do that. The sites cannot guarantee you that the after links download, the files you download from the torrent will have a virus or is a legal download but many people including me take that risk. In real everyone.

Welcome to the boards (forums) Kama51 :hi:

If you ever have any questions or are in need of any assistance I'm only a click (well two or three :P) away.

Feel free to PM me any time, no question is too big or too small :)

► Rock Lee

Welcome. There are many different ways of "getting things!" and one is from Torrents! I actually don't bother with Torrents as I prefer Megaupload/similar sites (which is a website where people can upload their files for others to benefit from). Whichever you prefer... :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
Guest Kama51

Well this just shows my stupidity. I forgot to bookmark this site and could not find it again after I registered here earlier. Then I forgot my user name and password. Fortunately, I keep such a messy desk I had written it down on a piece of paper and never housecleaned the desk and threw it out, although I had no idea what the username and password was for.

Once i found the site again (I recognized the web page) I tried the username and password and it works so I am in business again. I think I might write these things down in a book so I can find them again, lol.

Could anyone here explain to me what Megaupload is and why it is superior to torrents? Is this the same as what they call usenet?

Thanks to all the posters.

Learning slowly but learning...

Nope, MegaUpload is one of many uploading/downloading sites, a filehost. It allows users to upload files to their service and others to download these uploaded files. For many of these filehosts you'll have to pay a premium fee to get full speed or access without any waiting time or ads.

Usenet is something completely different and I would not recommend it for a computer novice, start with regular(HTTP links) downloads, then get to know torrents and maybe then have a look at Usenet.

Do make sure to bookmark us now :P

• Administrator

:hi: and :welcome: back.

Most of the file hosting services suck as they make you wait if you are free user. Mediafire is one of an exception.

Torrents are great. You can pause them anytime, share big files and more things. :)

Welcome to the Forums :welcome:

And Welcome back to  Rock Lee :welcome:

HellO again!

on a serious note regarding downloading- DKT explained most of the things almost correctly, I would summarise: If you downloading films in big files- torrents- just find it, set everything and leave (wait);

Filehosting Servers- get all the links and keep downloading one by one. You have to be most of the time overlooking on what's up (there are ways to automatise the process, but most turn ou to be unreliable). On Overall, it's most likely to be quicker and less bandwith usage way to download, but effort will be required greater...

Archived