elohelomg

2 hours ago, k2a said:

I'm looking for another firewall, I would like bloking the telemetry of windows and other programs , and also blocking Internet access of some programs and games.

Using comodo FW when under win. Would recommend a FW that blocks all except what is specifically allowed.

• Replies 959
  • Views 331.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mp68terr said:

Would recommend a FW that blocks all except what is specifically allowed.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/beta-testing-tinywall.309739/

This thread is over 8 yrs old, so may want to skip up to page 50 or more. This soft is still relevant and effective (v3 is in development and also a new beta 2.xx released). Very easy to use with none of the BS other FWs toss at you constantly.

To be honest I completely forgot the name of the FW that I was using before (XP era), it was simple to use, simple to set, and secure from what I heard.

As far as todayss FWs, heard about tinywall but never tried it myself. Only recommended the one that I'm using and feeling comfortable with. I like the learning mode, the FW might appear too intrusive at that time, but rather invisible once set.

Both threads are over 8 years old, security is always something to speak about ;)

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2009 at 3:05 AM, Chocobito said:

ESS, only that and 0 malware in several years ;)

how would you know if it was infected at all? viruses and malware

are actually made first. after that security companies need to find

it. with windows it opens doors to scripts and malware.

• 2 weeks later...
JohnnyBravo41

Hardwire Firewall and for Software Firewall, I've been using ESET's NOD32 with ZoneAlarm firewall back when they both first cameout that was like 20 yrs ago??? ....then went with just ESET's Smart Security ver1.0 and have pretty much stayed with them through out the different versions/name changes, etc...

have tryed Vipre, Comodo and one I can't remember the name of??? "Post something or other"...

I will not allow any Norton software anywhere near my computers.... Norton will totally destroy a Windows OS over time (it usually starts with the registry) and you can not uninstall it completely no matter what you do

The best defense though is yourself and knowing what to look for, click on or not and allow or not (and knowing how to setup your web browser(s) securely).... even with the best Anti virus/malware protection software and firewall, still will not work if the User "Allows" aconnection or something toopen in their email, etc...

YMMV

• 2 months later...
AZwaffelForAWaff
On 1/2/2019 at 1:15 AM, Mutton said:

It's good to see W10FC being mentioned here. I've used that for several years and eventually bought the network edition to put it on all my PCs. Even the free version is good though, for basic use.

I spent a few weeks testing out all the available personal firewalls on Windows 7, before buying W10FC. I think it was still called Vista Firewall Control at the time. A surprising number of them failed quite easily (i.e. they leaked or actually crashed and shut down if hit hard) and others were just too bulky or resource hungry. W10FC performed flawlessly and did most of what I wanted. In it's latest edition it now does everything I need from a personal firewall. Sphinx's support is top notch too.

I've no connection with Sphinx other than as a very satisfied customer. I just wanted to plug a great firewall since I don't see it mentioned as much as it deserves.

Other than the above, since this is a 'what-you-got' thread...

• Common Sense and Brains (as noted by many other posters before me)
  • Mikrotik router for extensive edge firewalling, VPN, IPv6 tunnel termination and VLANs (used to use an openBSD VM on a server, but the Mikrotik does it all a lot cheaper, quieter and cooler)
  • TorGuard VPN plus another for occasional chaining
  • Firefox with all the usual privacy plugins, containers, etc. as already mentioned by others, and only a RAM cache
  • Windows' and others' Temp folders are only in RAM
  • Tor and occasionally Tails if I'm feeling particularly cautious
  • VMWare Workstation - anything risky is done in a VM
  • VeraCrypt
  • KeyPass
  • VirusTotal
  • Only MSE as installed AV, and that's often turned off. I scan the whole system once a month with a couple of online scanners.
  • System and data backups kept offline when not actually doing the backup.
  • Wireshark monitoring when needed (have a permanent mirror port and isolated PC with a quiet interface set up for this)
  • ...and finally, the realisation that all of the above is useless if I get careless or attract serious attention.

What do you use to keep your Temp files in RAM?

• 2 weeks later...

eset endpoint antivirus v7

hitmanpro.alert

on demand sandboxie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Malwarebytes - on demand
  • Hitman pro - on demand
  • Sandboxie - on demand
  • WFC
  • VeraCrypt
  • Keyscrambler