elohelomg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 959
  • Views 331.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
write2vivek86

Norton here latest...

KIS 2016 (don't know why but sometimes when installed, keeping it turned on uses less resources!! than when it's paused or turned off)

Airstream_Bill

Bitdefender Total Security 2016 along with Shadow Defender sometimes.

Just the Windows Firewall and HitmanPro.Alert. I have VirusTotal Uploader installed in case I'm unsure of a file and even then I mostly open such files in Sandboxie.

I've never liked the free antivirus offerings. WinRAR extraction of large files would be noticeably slower when Defender's real-time protection was enabled. Also tired of lazy antivirus solutions that flag safe, but packed files as viruses just to delude the user into thinking that paying for the AV was a good investment. And with Tavis Ormandy exposing so many vulnerabilities in AV offerings, I've become disillusioned from the idea of running AVs permanently. Seriously, just look at this crap: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=773   

khanyash
11 minutes ago, dpg12 said:

Just the Windows Firewall and HitmanPro.Alert. I have VirusTotal Uploader installed in case I'm unsure of a file and even then I mostly open such files in Sandboxie.

I've never liked the free antivirus offerings. WinRAR extraction of large files would be noticeably slower when Defender's real-time protection was enabled. Also tired of lazy antivirus solutions that flag safe, but packed files as viruses just to delude the user into thinking that paying for the AV was a good investment. And with Tavis Ormandy exposing so many vulnerabilities in AV offerings, I've become disillusioned from the idea of running AVs permanently. Seriously, just look at this crap: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=773   

You use VT uploader.

Give a try to Voodoo Shield. Its an anti-executable. It has couple modes, I find Scan & Allow Mode the easiest. In Scan & Allow Mode, VT results are there i.e  0 detections on VT are auto-allowed, detections on VT give alerts & unknown gives alerts.

14 minutes ago, YashKhan said:

You use VT uploader.

Fair enough. I wouldn't consider it a fully-fledged AV, but I can see what you mean.

14 minutes ago, YashKhan said:

Give a try to Voodoo Shield. Its an anti-executable. It has couple modes, I find Scan & Allow Mode the easiest. In Scan & Allow Mode, VT results are there i.e  0 detections on VT are auto-allowed, detections on VT give alerts & unknown gives alerts.

The VT detection sounds like it would save me time. Thanks, I'll give it a whirl when time allows.

- Avast Free Anti-Virus (always)

- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (occasionally)

- Enigma Spyhunter (occasionally)

- Privatefirewall (recently tried to do without it - no problem)

- Whatever is needed when a particular problem occurs

- Good temp cleaners are more important to me than anti-shit-stuff

On 3/4/2016 at 9:19 AM, Fallon said:

Good temp cleaners

are more important to me

than

anti-shit-stuff

I second that!

:cheers:

On 4/3/2016 at 5:40 AM, Edgar.Elooo said:

ESS v9 + Common sense.

if that's the case i use common sense and then ESET v8 + WFC

• 3 weeks later...
Vatos Locos
On 3-4-2016 at 8:19 AM, Fallon said:

- Avast Free Anti-Virus (always)

- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (occasionally)

- Enigma Spyhunter (occasionally)

- Privatefirewall (recently tried to do without it - no problem)

- Whatever is needed when a particular problem occurs

- Good temp cleaners are more important to me than anti-shit-stuff

enigima spyhunter? unstall asap! its a rogue anti malware scanner!!!!!

current setup :

realtime : Norton Security 2016 - NVT exe radar pro ( latest beta build )

on demand : mbam - eek - zemana anti malware free 

chrome : lastpass - https everyhwre - norton safe search - norton toolbar - zenmate free vpn - zenmate web firewall ( beta )

• 4 weeks later...

Which is best firewall to use in Windows 10, Using EAV NOD32 - Cause ESS messed up network and configuring it is a headache...

Pls suggest good firewall

On 14/5/2016 at 5:08 PM, Ashwadeep said:

Which is best firewall to use in Windows 10, Using EAV NOD32 - Cause ESS messed up network and configuring it is a headache...

Pls suggest good firewall

Try Binisoft Windows Firewall control.

The easiest way to configure windows firewall.

1 hour ago, genwolf said:

Try Binisoft Windows Firewall control.

The easiest way to configure windows firewall.

yep WFC best but have some issues with Windows 10, WFC Services don't start after system reboot... Windows 7/8.1 it works flawlessly

• 1 month later...
arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal's MediaBox Configuration

PC Environment: Home in shared environment

Security Awareness: Basic

Exposure to Malware: High

Infection Rate: Rarely

Anti-Malware Testing: No

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Architecture: 32-bit (x86)

Account Privileges: Standard

Real-time Protection : Look 'n' Stop Firewall With Enhanced Ruleset

Sandbox and Hips : Sandboxie Lifetime License

System Freeze : DeepFreeze Standard Lifetime With Data Igloo

Anti-Executable : Appguard 3.5.6

Anti-Exploit : Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium

Anti-Keylogger : KeyScrambler Premium

Ad-Blocker : Adguard Premium Lifetime

On-Demand Tools: Hitman Pro, Process Lasso Pro Lifetime, Anvir Task Manager Pro

Web Browsers: Opera 12.18 x86, Firefox ESR Latest, IE11

Extensions and Plugins: Lastpass

System configuration and hardening:

• Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

• Standard User account is used at all times except when installing programs.

• User Account Control: I have set UAC control on 'Always notify'. All changes to my computer need administrator approval.

• Autorun / Autoplay: This feature is disabled. Everything that needs to be run is run manually.

• Services: All unnecessary services are disabled. Some services have startup type changed from "Automatic" to "Manual" and are run on-demand.

• User Accounts: Built-in Guest account is disabled.

Network security:

• Firewall: Look 'n' Stop Firewall is enabled and blocks unsolicited inbound connections also calling home programs are blocked by outbound filter.

System and applications security:

• Sandboxie Lifetime : All browsers are forced to run Sandboxed

This is how Sandboxie is Set

- Sandboxie container folder is set in a Ramdisk

- Drop rights from Admin Users Enabled.

- Sandboxie to delete content on application close.

• Appguard 3.5 : Set to lockdown mode and all media players and pdf utilities run as guarded apps.

• Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium :All browsers,media players and PDF utilities are sheilded from exploits.

• KeyScrambler Premium : KeyScrambler encrypts every key you type to protect against key logging.

• DeepFreeze : C drive is perpetually in a freeze state except for monthly updates. Data Igloo Standard is used to redirect certain folders to a different drive to persist after a shutdown/restart.

Data security:

• Terabyte IFL : System image is created once a month before windows update to another HDD.

• Online back-up : adrive and skydirve are used to back-up important but not sensitive documents online.

• Lastpass: Lastpass is used for all logins except banking.

• CCleaner: MRUs, temporary files and other junk files are deleted automatically at start-up.

Internet security and privacy:

• Adguard Premium Lifetime : automatically blocks cookies and scripts and prevents tracking on all webpages.

• No other addons are used on any of the browsers except lastpass on opera and firefox.

• Banking environment: All banking is conducted in sandboxed Opera after previous browsing session is closed, all sandboxed processes are ended and all data in sandbox is deleted.

On-demand scanning:

• Hitman Pro : Monthly Scan

• VirusTotal Uploader: Uploader is used for upload and scan of individual files on online service's site.

Updating:

• Windows Update: Windows update is used to update system manually and other software from Microsoft.

Other security related tools:

• Process Lasso Pro : It is used as replacement for Windows Task Manager and also for memory and CPU management.

• Anvir Tank Manager Pro : It is used to check reputation of certain programs.

Note : All my security apps are password protected against uninstallation or settings change.

*This desktop is exclusively used for Media activities ,watching videos on youtube,hulu,netflix and other similar websites also playing videos from USB stick or DVD's.

2 hours ago, arsenaloyal said:

arsenaloyal's MediaBox Configuration

PC Environment: Home in shared environment

Security Awareness: Basic

Exposure to Malware: High

Infection Rate: Rarely

Anti-Malware Testing: No

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Architecture: 32-bit (x86)

Account Privileges: Standard

Real-time Protection : Look 'n' Stop Firewall With Enhanced Ruleset

Sandbox and Hips : Sandboxie Lifetime License

System Freeze : DeepFreeze Standard Lifetime With Data Igloo

Anti-Executable : Appguard 3.5.6

Anti-Exploit : Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium

Anti-Keylogger : KeyScrambler Premium

Ad-Blocker : Adguard Premium Lifetime

On-Demand Tools: Hitman Pro, Process Lasso Pro Lifetime, Anvir Task Manager Pro

Web Browsers: Opera 12.18 x86, Firefox ESR Latest, IE11

Extensions and Plugins: Lastpass

System configuration and hardening:

• Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

• Standard User account is used at all times except when installing programs.

• User Account Control: I have set UAC control on 'Always notify'. All changes to my computer need administrator approval.

• Autorun / Autoplay: This feature is disabled. Everything that needs to be run is run manually.

• Services: All unnecessary services are disabled. Some services have startup type changed from "Automatic" to "Manual" and are run on-demand.

• User Accounts: Built-in Guest account is disabled.

Network security:

• Firewall: Look 'n' Stop Firewall is enabled and blocks unsolicited inbound connections also calling home programs are blocked by outbound filter.

System and applications security:

• Sandboxie Lifetime : All browsers are forced to run Sandboxed

This is how Sandboxie is Set

- Sandboxie container folder is set in a Ramdisk

- Drop rights from Admin Users Enabled.

- Sandboxie to delete content on application close.

• Appguard 3.5 : Set to lockdown mode and all media players and pdf utilities run as guarded apps.

• Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium :All browsers,media players and PDF utilities are sheilded from exploits.

• KeyScrambler Premium : KeyScrambler encrypts every key you type to protect against key logging.

• DeepFreeze : C drive is perpetually in a freeze state except for monthly updates. Data Igloo Standard is used to redirect certain folders to a different drive to persist after a shutdown/restart.

Data security:

• Terabyte IFL : System image is created once a month before windows update to another HDD.

• Online back-up : adrive and skydirve are used to back-up important but not sensitive documents online.

• Lastpass: Lastpass is used for all logins except banking.

• CCleaner: MRUs, temporary files and other junk files are deleted automatically at start-up.

Internet security and privacy:

• Adguard Premium Lifetime : automatically blocks cookies and scripts and prevents tracking on all webpages.

• No other addons are used on any of the browsers except lastpass on opera and firefox.

• Banking environment: All banking is conducted in sandboxed Opera after previous browsing session is closed, all sandboxed processes are ended and all data in sandbox is deleted.

On-demand scanning:

• Hitman Pro : Monthly Scan

• VirusTotal Uploader: Uploader is used for upload and scan of individual files on online service's site.

Updating:

• Windows Update: Windows update is used to update system manually and other software from Microsoft.

Other security related tools:

• Process Lasso Pro : It is used as replacement for Windows Task Manager and also for memory and CPU management.

• Anvir Tank Manager Pro : It is used to check reputation of certain programs.

Note : All my security apps are password protected against uninstallation or settings change.

*This desktop is exclusively used for Media activities ,watching videos on youtube,hulu,netflix and other similar websites also playing videos from USB stick or DVD's.

How is deepfreeze compared to shadow defender?

arsenaloyal
2 hours ago, LonePirate said:

How is deepfreeze compared to shadow defender?

DeepFreeze is much more simpler to use than Shadow Defender..and I found it much more stable as well.

Just now, arsenaloyal said:

DeepFreeze is muchmore simpler to use than Shadow Defender..and I found it much more stable as well.

Interesting, SD is pretty darn simple to me :)

arsenaloyal
16 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Interesting, SD is pretty darn simple to me :)

SD has more features in comparison to DeepFreeze but DeepFreeze is much more stable when it boots directly to Freeze Mode compared to SD which had some problems for me with boot to shadow mode.

7 hours ago, arsenaloyal said:

SD has more features in comparison to DeepFreeze but DeepFreeze is much more stable when it boots directly to Freeze Mode compared to SD which had some problems for me with boot to shadow mode.

Have you updated to the latest version? 1.4.0.636 which is here

knowledge-Spammer
7 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Have you updated to the latest version? 1.4.0.636 which is here

SD  the best  i think

Archived