Next Decade Will Bring 'New Wave of Innovation'

D0GG

With the third decade of Microsoft Windows quickly approaching, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates on Monday predicted that 64-bit computing, together with the newest versions of the company's operating system, will ignite an era of industry-wide innovation.

During his keynote speech at the Microsoft Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC), Gates announced the general availability of Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions.

Gates also talked about how the next version of the Windows operating system, Longhorn, will put more of the power of 64-bit computing to work for people.

"The next decade will bring about a new wave of innovation in the technology industry through the increased security, greater reliability and faster performance enabled by 64-bit computing and continued advances in Windows," Gates said.

"Longhorn and the new x64-bit versions of Windows are the best foundation for a new generation of faster, more powerful hardware and software that expands the possibilities for computing and transforms the way we work and play."

Third Decade of Windows

An audience of 2,800 developers, engineers and technology enthusiasts heard Gates trace the evolution of the Windows-based PC from a stand-alone "box" in the den to a range of connected devices.

Since the debut of Windows 1.0 in the fall of 1985, Gates explained, the PC has been transformed from a single-purpose machine for technology enthusiasts into an entertainment and productivity hub for people of all ages and interests.

Gates cited the growth of the Windows XP Media Center Edition, which has sold more than 2 million units, as a sign that the PC is rapidly gaining momentum as the hub fordigital entertainment.

"Technology that was once locked away on centralized servers, like ultrafast connectivity and high-performance computing power, is now right where people want it -- on their desktops, in their living rooms and in their hands," Gates said.

Windows x64 and Computing Power

The ongoing evolution of the microprocessor -- from 16 bit to 32 bit and now to 64 bit, which analysts have said will be mainstream for both client and server systems by the end of 2006 -- will enable the industry to provide more advanced computing experiences and address many of the challenges remaining for computing, Gates said.

Gates also emphasized the opportunities created for hardware manufacturers by the enhancements that Windows Longhorn will make to the fundamentals of computing.

Planned fundamental changes include security, deployment and manageability, said Gates. Longhorn will come with integrated antimalware to help shield PCs and their users from adware, spyware, phishing scams and other threats.

Protected user accounts will be designed to help reduce the threat to users' systems, while the more-secure startup process will help protect data and ensure that a PC running Longhorn hasn't been tampered with.

Longhorn Engineering

A single code base and hardware abstraction layer for all versions and languages of Longhorn will make desktop engineering easier, according to Gates.

Image-based setup will replace manual installation of programs, while new tools and services will help large organizations simplify operating system deployment to desktops -- even those with different configurations and different languages.

Integrated hot-patching technology will enable system administrators to update systems without rebooting the PC. These features, along with better automation and remote administration tools, will let administrators better handle daily desktop management tasks, said Gates.

Those attending WinHEC also received a developer preview of Longhorn designed to accelerate development of hardware device drivers for the new operating system. The first beta release of Longhorn is planned for summer 2005.

Source

• Replies 10
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

64 bit only means you will not see the spyware, adware and virus hyjacking crap install on your pc because it will be so fast.

you cant see that happening? that stuff is just going to load that much faster and be made for 64 to take advantage of. you can already have ip blockers and ad ware protection and visit a web site and get a warning of a program trying to install. you click block/deny but it still installs. why? because its faster then the protection. 64 bit system is going to make that worst. i see that happening. just more ms patches to come. no thanks.

-Dont think I'm supporting it...

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates on Monday predicted that 64-bit computing, together with the newest versions of the company's operating system, will ignite an era of industry-wide innovation.
God he's so full of himself, such a concieted bitch.

i don't think M$ is ganna do anything innovative to advance 64-bit PCs further than anyone else will. but, 64-bit processing is going to be a HUGE leap in computer technology. i mean, we've advanced how fast CPUs etc. can process data to good enough level for a current PC needs (3GHz+ is PLENTLY of proccessing power). it's time to focus on HOW MUCH data they process at that speed :blink:

anyone know what the fastest 64-bit CPU is now (GHz wise)? <_<

What about the quantum computer? Now thats fast...

Lol, im reading TimeLine right now so yeah... <_<

this is starting to remind me of a thread me and DDJ were in at verifieds.com :food:

but, yeah, quantam computers are another good thing that's around the corner. they're basicly magneticly charging the ions/photons/whatver-CPUs-use, instead of electicly. this also allows them to set each whatever with more than one value, where as now they're every 1 is either on or off (1 or 0) <_<

i think they can also set more than just on or off too, i think it was 6 different values available for use in quantum PCs (been awhile since i read the article) :blink:

Guest Gir489

Will Longhorn support 32-bit processors? Or will Microsoft leave us in the digital-dust?

Zeus_Hunt

I dont think M$ has the guts to leave us any kinda dust......

and i also think that on 64 bit processor spywares and adwares would not run amock.... things will not be that fast.... and by the way we would still have anti spyware and adwares and they would also run at the speed of the spywares & adwares

I dont think M$ has the guts to leave us any kinda dust......

and i also think that on 64 bit processor spywares and adwares would not run amock.... things will not be that fast.... and by the way we would still have anti spyware and adwares and they would also run at the speed of the spywares & adwares

nothing like right now when you get a popup warning of spyware/adware trying to install and it says it was block but afterwards you find out it was installed. even with all winxp patches. it gets abit pointless. especially when the only way to unistall the crap is to use restore point. virus and aaware protection sees the problem but doesnt actually fix it. (i even fired microsoft beta spyware crap already) winxp 64 runs fast. snap of a finger and the programs are already up and open. base on all i have seen i see 64 bit nasty viruses and bad wares a coming. and if all you nati IE ppl think linuz and firefox going to protect you from the bugs you are sadly mistaken. we got a billion freaken chinese that are going to be running those 2 programs online.

in a side note 64 bit would be nice and great. just like in a prefect world winxp would be super and good. but too many sobs running around now days. win xp became pointless when every patch disable another option. dang win95 looks so much prettier and peaceful back then. what 10 years can do to the web.

Archived