Updated-2 - Do You Really Miss Shoutbox Feature? - Read first post

vissha

Do You Really Miss Shoutbox Feature?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Really Miss Shoutbox Feature?

Hi Nsaners,

I really miss the Shoutbox feature occasionally after IPS 4.0 upgrade. Do you?

The reasons for my vote are:

• The Shoutbox helped as an alternate to Messenger. If someone, @dcs18, who'd turn off PM can be contacted.
  • Since there is no storage criteria like Messenger, we don't need to worry about it. Shoutbox also saves our Messenger storage.
  • Those who'd like to spam with chit-chat/other funny things in nsane can make use of it. It'll save the forum from spamming with new threads/posts.
  • Wishes/Greetings. After IPS 4 upgrade, the reply to status updates have become hard. So, shoutbox can help if the both the sender and receiver are online.
  • And many other reasons.

Please vote this poll to tell Admin about the necessity & requirement to get the feature added back to Nsane.

Update-1:

Since the voting seems controversial, I'm enabling comment on this poll thread. Nsaners, please share the reason for your vote and suggestions[like alternatives-esp for negative voters, etc].

Update-2:

I'd support adding embedded IRC chat channel. However, it has to be accepted by admins; it has to be secure; it has to be nsane's own creation and must not have any 3rd-party integration since nsaners concerned about privacy.

@shought @Lite: Will you do this in near future? If so, will it be secure and no 3rd-party?

• Replies 14
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO this community has A LOT of users and even if 10% of them decide to use shoutbox at the same time then it will all go haywire :coolwink:

On 2016-04-18 at 7:02 AM, vissha said:

I really miss the Shoutbox feature occasionally after IPS 4.0 upgrade. Do you?

I may be wrong here, but the removal of the shoutbox is not because of the board upgrade.

On 2016-04-18 at 7:02 AM, vissha said:

Those who'd like to spam with chit-chat/other funny things in nsane can make use of it. It'll save the forum from spamming with new threads/posts.

This is probably the reason, or one of the main reasons, why they removed it.  Every time they brought it back a select few just had to spam it or simply hijack it.

imo, there's no reason to have an "in house" chat when you can just as easily embed an external irc channel at no cost.

people who are only interested in the chat can join directly to it and those interested in the forum only see the little chat button. if you're interested in both, just click the button to expand the iframe

• 5 months later...

I'm with Viletouch with this idea.

The recent site downtown made everyone worried.

With no communication to the admin and staff, no explanation was given to the members, given rise to lots of speculation.

Though these speculations were clearly posted as funny and entertaining as possible to ease boredom of the readers, some may believe that its true.

The admin and staff can't use their personal facebook account due to some privacy reason.

Facebook should be the last resort for information.

I believe we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket, so if we ever get DDOS attack site communication will all be inaccessible, an IRC chatroom is an enticing option for communication.

But if the admin and staff won't have time to operate it, members may run it.

There were issues with the site's chatroom, but we should not be held by it.

They were some who abused it, eherm, I'm one of them, but I think one of the main issues was bandwidth consumption.

So, if you haven't voted yet please vote in favor of having an external chatroom.

On 10/1/2016 at 4:27 AM, nIGHT said:

I believe we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket, so if we ever get DDOS attack site communication will all be inaccessible

maybe it's better to find a way to fight DDoS instead of being afraid of it and finding other solutions ?

there are a dozen other websites, bigger ones, without even using share coding and all this...stuff, with MORE sensitive contents than this forum, but, they operate very better in comparison and mitigate DDoSes.

On 10/7/2016 at 11:42 PM, saeed_dc said:

maybe it's better to find a way to fight DDoS instead of being afraid of it and finding other solutions ?

there are a dozen other websites, bigger ones, without even using share coding and all this...stuff, with MORE sensitive contents than this forum, but, they operate very better in comparison and mitigate DDoSes.

I don't think you understand how VileTouch's idea becomes the OTHER SOLUTIONS.

To clear the matter with you, DDOS is not the cause we had the recent site downtime, it was some messed up server/site configuration.

And the terrorist attack near DKT27 area made it worst, he could no longer help shought fix the server.

Of course they have a way to communicate with each other as they are staff and admin, but what about between members of this site and the staff?

We go back to finding other solutions and this is where Viletouch's idea came in.

He is trying to find OTHER SOLUTION which is this external chat idea.

But, again,  if you have a "better effective way" then please share it with us rather than telling us in a vague manner.

If your idea sounds good then I will support it, as long as we collaborate with the solution and all of our members support it. ;)

not at all, using shoutbox somehow distract members to make topics :D

On 10/10/2016 at 7:10 AM, nIGHT said:

I don't think you understand how VileTouch's idea becomes the OTHER SOLUTIONS.

To clear the matter with you, DDOS is not the cause we had the recent site downtime, it was some messed up server/site configuration.

And the terrorist attack near DKT27 area made it worst, he could no longer help shought fix the server.

Of course they have a way to communicate with each other as they are staff and admin, but what about between members of this site and the staff?

We go back to finding other solutions and this is where Viletouch's idea came in.

He is trying to find OTHER SOLUTION which is this external chat idea.

But, again,  if you have a "better effective way" then please share it with us rather than telling us in a vague manner.

If your idea sounds good then I will support it, as long as we collaborate with the solution and all of our members support it. ;)

first of all, you yourself said it was a DDoS attack, not me. so if you knew it was a server misconfiguration you could've told it sooner.

second, the shoutbox which was once used by members was hosted on the same server and domain, so what's the point of having it back again when it will go down with the rest of the website in such "misconfiguration" situations? 

other communication ways? use an online messenger to keep in touch with those you want.

• 2 years later...

since one can not miss what one never had this is how I voted. I bet the shoutbox, as you call it, was an enormous pita for the staff

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I would like a "chatbox" here on the forums. I think it would be so attractive that the spammers and trolls could not resist. After the spammers have been identified then they could be eliminated. Normal chat and having fun is cool, but stupid is stupid, and should be dealt with swiftly ....because you cant fix stupid! Stupid is forever!

38 minutes ago, frankl1n said:

I would like a "chatbox" here on the forums. I think it would be so attractive that the spammers and trolls could not resist. After the spammers have been identified then they could be eliminated. Normal chat and having fun is cool, but stupid is stupid, and should be dealt with swiftly ....because you cant fix stupid! Stupid is forever!

:o Hell Yes :rockon: :lock:

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2019 at 1:54 PM, frankl1n said:

I fully agree with this! It's the perfect spammer bait, and it would be fun to be able to talk directly to people via chat. Since I'm new here, I wasn't able to see this feature, but I would love to test it out if it ever comes back.

Archived