Is Microsoft’s Aggressive Windows 10 Push Reason Enough to Switch to Linux?

Batu69

17 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

So tell me how do you share your Internet connection in a Linux (VM) to a Windows (Host) ?

when they're both Windows this task is done in 1 minute. do you know how to do it that way?

Ive not used Linux  in a VM in so long I forgot , I tested it in a vm along time ago  Linux  Lite the 1st distro i tested , I didn't  really start understanding Linux tell I started using it in real time I 1st  installed Linux  in real time on a dual  boot with windows 10  with Linux Mint on a portable hard drive  . Now I dot have Windows 10 , I have Linux Mint 17.3 on my main HHD  and Xubuntu 15.10, Wily Werewolf one of my portable HHD .

• Replies 79
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, steven36 said:

Ive not used Linux  in a VM in so long I forgot , I tested it in a vm along time ago  Linux  Lite the 1st distro i tested , I didn't  really start understanding Linux tell I started using it in real time I 1st  installed Linux  in real time on a dual  boot with windows 10  with Linux Mint on a portable hard drive  . Now I dot have Windows 10 , I have Linux Mint 17.3 on my main HHD  and Xubuntu 15.10, Wily Werewolf one of my portable HHD .

I knew that, nobody has an answer to my question...seriously

That's good and how much have you learned about its terminal in this little time?

2 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

I knew that, nobody has an answer to my question...seriously

That's good and how much have you learned about its terminal in this little time?

I dont have time to write a book on what i  all i learned. I can tell you some stuff  i learned  the hard way  about  somethings like drivers  and stuff  lesson learned , I do all my testing over on my portable harddrive . I can setup a fresh install very easy now with  everything i like .  If you want to learn about Linux I suggest you visit Linux sites and forums.. Are you having network issues hooking up Linux in you're VM   are what ? Go ask  the place you got you're VM from .  

I dont have time to write a book on what i  all i learned. I can tell you some stuff  i learned  the hard way  about  somethings like drivers  and stuff  lesson learned , I do all my testing over on my portable harddrive . I can setup a fresh install very easy now with  everything i like .  If you want to learn about Linux I suggest you visit Linux sites and forums.. Are you having network issues hooking up Linux in you're VM   are what ? Go ask  the place you got you're VM from .  

Yes I had that problem but I let it go, nobody could answer my question, not even in VMware community.

btw  I wanted to do it in Kali Linux

6 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Yes I had that problem but I let it go, nobody could answer my question, not even in VMware community.

btw  I wanted to do it in Kali Linux

I  never had no problem putting Windows XP  Pro in a  Virtual Box on Linux before i tested it  on Netrunner  and Linux Mint both had internet  and I didn't have to do anything . But now I don't even bother I have a few  Windows programs I just play with in Wine  is  all  now . :D 

I  never had no problem putting Windows XP  Pro in a  Virtual Box on Linux before i tested it  on Netrunner  and Linux Mint both had internet  and I didn't have to do anything . But now I don't even bother I have a few  Windows programs I just play with in Wine  is  all  now . :D 

Lol I knew that

No It's not a simple internet sharing, normally you use a NAT virtual adapter to share Internet from your host to guest but I wanna do the opposite, it's very useful if you think it through, specially in Kali

On 13/1/2016 at 10:56 AM, SURbit said:

Then graphics is eye candy for advertising which is right up there in the money chain - Yes.

A modest person to a poor person is always behind in the ownership of the latest newly fandangle

products out.

Big business needs to change this and I think Linux be headed in this or a similar direction. Leveling the field,

so to speak, do you not think a modest income also has bright and creative ideals to offer mankind?

MS is good at trying to help mankind but, for its own bottom line.

I think a revolution has started blowing in the wind and all big business, big profits, big advertising will suffer

when people say enough is enough. Personally I have no ill's for MS except it's not open source, something I

see as a country or private club that wants everybody's interest, money but tells you in restrictions I can or

can't do something even though I have paid, to walk the walk and dance the dance.

Transparency is the next world order venue this revolution will bring, hence we instead blow this

frigging world up from greedy corporations. There is war because of profits of weapons sales, war is

business that these profits drive. War is making old men richer and young men dead....

Trade follows the flag and war gives that flag motion. To me one life is not worth the corporation greed.

gbtHcml.jpg

when i say "graphics" i don't mean "eyecandy" or "customization" ...or "expensive"

i mean processing speed of graphical elements. (that's 80% of the useful output of a computer for most people {yeah, go ahead and turn off the monitor and see if you can use the computer})

it means you spend 2 or 4 hours instead of 14 or 18 hours for a render or a video encode to finish. it means decoding a BTC block in 2 days instead of a week, means less twiddling your thumbs waiting for a program to load so you get more productivity out your time... and most of the time you don't need to buy a new computer for that.

1 hour ago, VileTouch said:

it means you spend 2 or 4 hours instead of 14 or 18 hours for a render or a video encode to finish.

I been aiming  to test this  with x264 on Linux . The new x265  format is slow encoring on windows 10  with DX 12 and 8 cores even :P

I completely agree directx is very good and very important thats why video cards have the information on them that says what directx the video card your going to buy works with and is compatible with and a whole bunch of system requirements geared towards windows and the only information about linux if there is any information is if its linux compatible maybe.  When I finally decide to use linux alot it is never going to be my main operating system its not compatible with alot of software and never is going to be based on linux track record there mostly all about security and customization not compatibility I know some about linux my friend aaron from my vocational school is a linux guru and I learned some from him.

I have more than one pc  for such things  i can turn on windows 7 and encode videos  and never leave my Linux machine  that i use mostly just for entertainment . That's why i never bothered testing encoding on Linux they are some distros made for encoding and such  like Ubuntu Studio. I dont like tying down  the machine  I use for entertainment for high process activities . :P

And the olny thing I agree with that VileTouch dont like Linux :D

Thats why you get a faster computer then you wouldnt be bogging it down with my computer I can do what you cant without stressing my system thats why sixteen gigs of ddrthree memory (Im going to be getting thirtytwo gigs of ddrfour in the future) and a intel iseven quad core three point five GHz processor with eight threads is alot better (im starting to sound narcissistic sorry my bad).  The only part about dualbooting I dont like is switching between the operating systems with my ocd its ugly.  My video card supports direct twelve Im going to be getting a different one mine has two gigs of video memory Im going to be getting four gigs of video memory puts all the stress on the video card allowing the cpu to do additional processing.

9 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Thats why you get a faster computer then you wouldnt be bogging it down with my computer I can do what you cant without stressing my system thats why sixteen gigs of ddrthree memory (Im going to be getting thirtytwo gigs of ddrfour in the future) and a intel iseven quad core three point five GHz processor with eight threads is alot better (im starting to sound narcissistic sorry my bad).  The only part about dualbooting I dont like is switching between the operating systems with my ocd its ugly.

It dont matter how fast your pc is some video encoding like the new hevc  encoding needs  to be done thorough a server  to do it fast that's why pcs are dieing and the cloud is taking over . It can do it much faster and use no resources at all . The net is ran by bots to encode , upload etc .

It does matter they both matter I dont think pc's are dying there just changing I wont mind the cloud as long as its secure depends who sets it up if its microsoft uh no i doubt it unless they change there act.  Cloud is not really going to take over windows ten is a hybrid on the desktop and in the cloud I have heard of a operating system in the cloud only thats not going to work and if they some how get it to work it wont be secure I wont use it like I said Ill never use linux as my main operating system Ill always most likely dualboot with windows and linux I favor security customization and compatibility as a whole and if you use both at the same time your going to get all three guaranteed.

33 minutes ago, Holmes said:

It does matter they both matter I dont think pc's are dying there just changing I wont mind the cloud as long as its secure depends who sets it up if its microsoft uh no i doubt it unless they change there act.  Cloud is not really going to take over windows ten is a hybrid on the desktop and in the cloud I have heard of a operating system in the cloud only thats not going to work and if they some how get it to work it wont be secure I wont use it like I said Ill never use linux as my main operating system Ill always most likely dualboot with windows and linux I favor security customization and compatibility as a whole and if you use both at the same time your going to get all three guaranteed.

Why you're going spend that much money on a  computer?   that a someone  with  server runs the same tasks though the cloud and can runs circles around you with a bot . Were they can spit out a encode every few minutes  and upload and post  a link too you . You cant compete with that  you would  better of buying you a server  and a bot  :P

Why do I spend so much money on a computer because Im a over achiever lawls.  I could spend the same money to buy a server and gain two times the speed I dont want to Im content with what I have I thought about buying a server (I know a server would be faster then my computer it can hold four times the ram and computer specs (I have close to the max a gaming computer can possess and Im going to get the max it can hold in the future) and doing that I dont have the time to maintain a server really thats going to change in the future and Ill be able to do all of that.

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

It dont matter how fast your pc is some video encoding like the new hevc  encoding needs  to be done thorough a server  to do it fast that's why pcs are dieing and the cloud is taking over . It can do it much faster and use no resources at all . The net is ran by bots to encode , upload etc .

45fps on w10 vs 12fps on w7 with the same gtx760 using f265cli

face it. you just want a reason to be plugged to the cellphone.

btw, can you even upload a 24gb video from a cellphone without it melting?

8 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

You know what, i never been on a cellphone on the internet in my life ,so that shows what you know,  i hate phones , I love towers  i'm old school ill be using them when everyone has moveed on  to the cloud.  but i bet you some person can  remote upload  24 gb from a  server to a encode server  and encode and  it and upload  10 times faster than you can on any pc with a cellphone  .  :D

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

I have more than one pc  for such things  i can turn on windows 7 and encode videos  and never leave my Linux machine  that i use mostly just for entertainment . That's why i never bothered testing encoding on Linux they are some distros made for encoding and such  like Ubuntu Studio. I dont like tying down  the machine  I use for entertainment for high process activities . :P

And the olny thing I agree with that VileTouch dont like Linux :D

nope... not for general use at least. it;s great for specific tasks...and goofing around. ("entertainment",some call it), but when there's serious work:windows. after work, for serious gaming: windows.

eh.. sure, you can try to run big games in wine, but most likely it won't end well.

11 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

nope... not for general use at least. it;s great for specific tasks...and goofing around. ("entertainment",some call it), but when there's serious work:windows. after work, for serious gaming: windows.

eh.. sure, you can try to run big games in wine, but most likely it won't end well.

Thats what I bought a ps4 for there you go back to games again witch dont matter to me in the end . There's whole lot of  places use it for not goofing around. Government Agencies are looking into open source it would save tax payers  billions  if they would switch over like  the Army did. 

http://data-informed.com/bringing-open-source-to-government-agencies/

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

Thats what I bought a ps4 for there you go back to games again witch dont matter to me in the end . There's whole lot of  places use it for not goofing around. Government Agencies are looking into open source it would save tax payers  billions  if they would switch over like  the Army did. 

http://data-informed.com/bringing-open-source-to-government-agencies/

1 hour ago, VileTouch said:

@ steven36 I'm old school too and just not a gamer as in my youth (probably been 10+ years since)

so no need for such biz on my system, or a self contained one for that matter.

Yes I'm all for savings to Tax payers (the next President should be so inclined to seek such moves) in

operations - inter-structure  - policies to reduce any and all related costs, hopefully open source as much

as possible. Then wind and solar driving as much of the inter-structure power needs but, as a lesson learnt

a savings here or there means more government down the line - so it's @ catch 22.     

The cloud is not the securest place I'd be caught, if secure today - what says tomorrow will be as secure.

The more of your self's related there - the vulnerable you leave yourself open to. Have we not seen big

business suffer this point in Hacks - having more money than the average John Doe to spend on security.

@ Vile Touch (first interesting forum name - and I'll leave it there), second yes a good cup of coffee is a

highlight of one's day (morning) and can be had at home just as well as a business chain. Cheaply so to

enjoy more of it - (I drink about 4-5 pots a day, in a mix of 3 BEAN GRIND I have preferred over bought).

You surly need to stay with windows as most of your comments of use rely on it, that's all good as to your

needs - I'm happy that your happy with it, but some can and will be open for other OS's to give a wide venue

of choice for if nothing "be it" experimenting with and exploring - trail blazing to new highs or lows it's a game

in itself.

I can't see the need to go on-line from a small screen device (phone - tablet, netbook) in less one is out

and about (mobile) and yes the smartphone have more computing power per inch than desktops of my world.

I'm only using my phone to tether my PC internet and it does a fantastic job of it. 

But it's (internet ) is not as enjoyable from such small screens nor would I like to watch a vid from one with a

60" screen on the wall. That's just me and my preferences.

Of course if I lived in another part of the world that a smartphone or small screen is only available, I'm sure

my views would  differ in regards to what's in my availably.

We all can't live on the same side of the river but, we can gaze across it and see our neighbors and wonder

is their world there any different or better than mine? It's all in one's perspective of needs and wants - isn't it ?

• Administrator
On 13/1/2016 at 8:39 PM, vibranium said:

Remix OS (Android-based) is a dark horse in the PC OS race!

I'm positive Microsoft executives are watching this development closely after they just about skidded out of the mobile racetrack.

I'm sold on this one. Funny that though, cause it's free. :P

Either way, while I'm a full Windows on PC and Android on mobile person myself. However, I'm interested to see how big an impact SteamOS and Vulkan can make when compared to gaming on Windows and newer DirectX.

It's high time a good alternative comes. Just like Firefox came after IE. There has to be some meaningful and useful option available for the users.

4 hours ago, DKT27 said:

I'm sold on this one. Funny that though, cause it's free.

It may do good as a O/S  ?   but  Jide's Remix  Laptop tablets   is said to be a  Microsoft Surface rip-off.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/02/jide-remix-review/

There's  all kinds of free o/s  Linux , Windows 10  tell July and others now you add Remix to the list  it fails  to sell people  in pre built computers. So  its not going to be a savoir  for the PC industry  ether . From what I read Remix O/S  for now is bare bones , not really stable and its best to test it in VM  . I will be keeping a eye on it though . But one thing it dont have going for it cant run windows  apps like windows and it cant run open source Linux  desktop  apps on it ether . It will only be able to run Android apps from like Google  making it a glorified smart phone you can run on a PC.

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, steven36 said:

It may do good as a O/S  ?   but  Jide's Remix  Laptop tablets   is said to be a  Microsoft Surface rip-off.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/02/jide-remix-review/

There's  all kinds of free o/s  Linux , Windows 10  tell July and others now you add Remix to the list  it fails  to sell people  in pre built computers. So  its not going to be a savoir  for the PC industry  ether . From what I read Remix O/S  for now is bare bones , not really stable and its best to test it in VM  . I will be keeping a eye on it though . But one thing it dont have going for it cant run windows  apps like windows and it cant run open source Linux  desktop  apps on it ether . It will only be able to run Android apps from like Google  making it a glorified smart phone you can run on a PC.

While I did not know it's based of China, which seems more like HK than China, but does not matter as they are all former Google employees, I stopped reading that article in middle as the author just seems to be in the bashing mood. This is signified when he gives bad point just because it's not Windows.

As for the OS itself, Android is far more established in market than desktop Linux. While ChromeOS failed to make a mark, Android can ride on the PCs well considering that one, unlike ChromeOS it's not cloud based, two, lots of apps with lots of potential with lots of users already and three, Microsoft is trying to do to Windows what Android is already an expert in - apps and such things.

11 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

While I did not know it's based of China, which seems more like HK than China, but does not matter as they are all former Google employees, I stopped reading that article in middle as the author just seems to be in the bashing mood. This is signified when he gives bad point just because it's not Windows.

As for the OS itself, Android is far more established in market than desktop Linux. While ChromeOS failed to make a mark, Android can ride on the PCs well considering that one, unlike ChromeOS it's not cloud based, two, lots of apps with lots of potential with lots of users already and three, Microsoft is trying to do to Windows what Android is already an expert in - apps and such things.

Maybe it will do better than chrome  o/s  if some major vendors  like dell are willing to take it on . The point im making while Android is more established in phone market its not in the desktop market  its not a big hit with old school people like me who love legacy apps .  We will see if the developer of Remix ever makes it stable  but dont count you're chickens before they hatch and a O/S from china/hk  is going be a big turn off  for most of the west  . :) 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, steven36 said:

Maybe it will do better than chrome  o/s  if some major vendors  like dell are willing to take it on . The point im making while Android is more established in phone market its not in the desktop market  its not a big hit with old school people like me who love legacy apps .  We will see if the developer of Remix ever makes stable  but dont count you're chickens before they hatch and a O/S from china/hk  is going be a big turn off  for most of the west  . :) 

True about ChromeOS and legacy apps. While I like normal softwares myself, let give you a surprise, I'm far more likely to use Android apps than so called new Windows apps on my PC. That itself speaks a lot and I'm sure many users might think so. People may feel more connected to Android when it comes to apps. As for China / HK, well, all three of them seem to be not from China / HK, atleast their education and work wise, so would not mind it.

Archived