Is Microsoft’s Aggressive Windows 10 Push Reason Enough to Switch to Linux?

Batu69

Isn't the real issue that MS has a one sided Vision for all users and we are all different - that's where

all the Linux distros come in to play. Variety is the spice of life. 

When MS leave little room and the masses (IT - Techy) move away, then Linux is there to reap the

innovation that's no longer to be found possible with MS. So will 4 years be the end of MS or in our

lifetime at least. I personally like a desktop compared to other devices and a OS geared to desktops.

It might mean I'll have to pay for it when the masses jump ship and come over to Linux but, I don't want

to be stuck on a starship MS with only a view from one port window.

• Replies 79
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, steven36 said:

LOL , Most people  who upgraded  to windows 10 they  are still stuck on DX 11 . The most used O/S  is Windows 7 there all stuck on old DX  . Only gamers  seems to care about windows continuing to improve on directx . While  the majority  of the end users dont give a shit . Ether there hardware will not update to DX 12 or they dont care because there fighting tooth and nail to stay on windows 7 :)

wrong. directx moves everything! not just pretty graphics. and some of the best features are backwards compatible. (did you see the first link?)

Just now, VileTouch said:

wrong. directx moves everything! not just pretty graphics. and some of the best features are backwards compatible. (did you see the first link?)

How am i wrong?  I dont see the masses going out and buying new hardware or computers  just so they can use newer DX12 . I'm just fine with DX 11  for windows and QT  on Linux for now .  Im not  a Linux evangelist  or nothing like that I'm just a Linux  user but I also use Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 . I dont use windows 10 though . But i get tired of Microsoft  fanboys putting down Linux because they never used it or they make there living  making apps  for M$  windows  , or there being paid  to spew out  M$ PR.

Question to ask yourself is what OS do the Super computers run?

Then the next question is what version of windows do business still run?

If I'm not mistaken the first is Linux and the second is two versions back from (or 3)

dang MS can't even count - it's 77777777777777777777777777

Always a new version of Direct  X spells  money something most people it always hates to spend . It only works in windows .  Its a proprietary set of libraries  .  it causes you to have to buy new hardware or pcs years before you're pc hardware gives out  if you want to utilize it.  This the very reason Microsoft  has had such a hard time selling windows .  People didn't even want to  upgrade  from XP  even now Windows 7 is like the new XP  .  If you're on  Windows 10  and they dont make Windows 11  . If and when the they make Direct X 13 you will need to buy a new pc or hardware  to utilize it. Its a viscous cycle that never  stops . And its all about money. 

On Windows, it's a fact that the DirectX graphics drivers are better maintained than the OpenGL graphics drivers. This is caused by the vicious cycle of vendor support. As game developers are driven from OpenGL to DirectX by other factors, the graphics card manufacturers (vendors) get less bug reports for their OpenGL drivers, extensions and documentation. This results in shakier OpenGL drivers, leading even more game developers to switch from OpenGL to DirectX. The cycle repeats.

Similarly, it's a fact that more gaming graphics programmers know how to use DirectX than OpenGL, so it's cheaper (less training required) to make a game using DirectX than OpenGL. This is the result of another vicious cycle: as more game projects use DirectX, more programmers have to learn how to use it. As more programmers learn to use it, it becomes cheaper for game projects to use DirectX than to use OpenGL.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

AMD  is working to change this Linux will keep getting better and better . Even Microsoft loves Linux . But hatters are going to hate.and Windows users are going to pay , pay , pay  , just to be on the www.  . :P

Linux = Free Operating Systems upgrades for Life
All Linux-based operating systems (for the most part) are completely free. You won’t find yourself

driving to a Best Buy to buy your copy of Fedora Linux.
All that is required is a USB flash drive, an Internet connection and the know-how to get it installed.

There are hardly any operating systems based on the Linux kernel out there that cost money.
Sure, some do cost a fee to get them going, but those are enterprise Linux distributions.
When it comes to desktop Linux, the price is a modest $0.
This is perfect for those who can’t spare the $199 cost to get a full-featured copy of Windows.

Linux = Open Source
Most, if not all, Linux distributions are made in part by open source technologies.
A vanilla installation of your favorite Linux-based operating system likely won’t contain any

closed-code programs.

This makes it easier to give away the operating system for free, but it also means that modification of

the operating system is legally allowed. This means that if you want, you can freely modify your operating

system until your heart is content.

If you’re really good at programming, you can even join up with your favorite Linux distribution and

contribute to it. All of the code used is open and publicly available for everyone to see, and anything

is possible.

Linux = Free Programs
More free stuff. Sounds good, right? If you were to install Ubuntu Linux on your laptop, you’d have

access to tons of software totally free of charge.

You see, Ubuntu operates on the notion that software should be free. Sure, if you look hard enough,

you can probably find some programs that cost money, but paid software is largely a minority on the

Linux platform.

Yes, there are free programs on Windows too, but most of them are not first-class programs.

Some people like to drink milk, some wine, some beer,

M$ concept is everybody drink H2O at Bourbon's price.   :chug:

Then M$ recycles that H2O put's a new wrapper on it (UI) and pushes it back out to us.

Look at all the 2006 drivers and other dated under the hood things that was in Vista in 10.

My Gush would you buy a new model auto with a dated drivetrain from 06 -07 ?

Linux = Your Privacy taken Seriously
In Windows 10 your privacy is mostly disregarded. A lot of aspects to Windows 10 are less than

privacy-friendly.
When you use Microsoft’s new operating system, you are telling them that it is okay for them to collect

data on you.
They harvest information on your device’s location, your calendar data, emails and texts, contact info,

and the list goes on.
If you’re interested in reading the full write-up on how Microsoft handles your privacy, Christopher Harper

has written an article about it here. https://www.maketecheasier.com/windows-10-privacy/

If you value your privacy, avoiding Windows 10 is a must. Most, if not all, Linux distributions take your

privacy very seriously.
You won’t find a bubbly talking assistant on your Linux desktop collecting data and information on you

for financial gain.
What’s even more important is that if a Linux distribution is found to disregard your privacy, it will be quickly

called out by the large community of Linux developers and fixed quickly.

Linux = Better Security
One of Linux’s huge strengths is how seriously security is taken.
When you install software it is impossible for you to do so without knowingly entering your password.
What’s even better is that when you install a Linux distribution, all the software you will ever need is inside

servers that are maintained by the developers of the operating system itself.
They go through each and every package and verify that it isn’t malicious and even sign them.
This removes the ability for malicious software to install itself (like on Windows).

49 minutes ago, SURbit said:

Question to ask yourself is what OS do the Super computers run?

Then the next question is what version of windows do business still run?

If I'm not mistaken the first is Linux and the second is two versions back from (or 3)

dang MS can't even count - it's 77777777777777777777777777

yes, super computers use linux because that is best for their intended purpose, where scalability and modularity are required.

but for a workstation with many different devices that need to work together, different purposes and production software that simply doesn't exist in linux, the choice is either osx or windows

preferably windows, for being more flexible hardware wise.

but then you ask yourself.if osx is linux at it's core, how come it can run things that linux cannot?

well for starters it doesn't rely on X11 or udev for everything (whoop dee doo!)

not all companies run 7. most are stuck with xp thanks to some ancient software they rely on.

but if your organization's workflow requires you to be on the bleeding edge (creative production mostly) then w10 is where it's at because your "last generation" hardware will work faster (or at least consume less resources) than it did with w7 (mostly graphics though)

Then graphics is eye candy for advertising which is right up there in the money chain - Yes.

A modest person to a poor person is always behind in the ownership of the latest newly fandangle

products out.

Big business needs to change this and I think Linux be headed in this or a similar direction. Leveling the field,

so to speak, do you not think a modest income also has bright and creative ideals to offer mankind?

MS is good at trying to help mankind but, for its own bottom line.

I think a revolution has started blowing in the wind and all big business, big profits, big advertising will suffer

when people say enough is enough. Personally I have no ill's for MS except it's not open source, something I

see as a country or private club that wants everybody's interest, money but tells you in restrictions I can or

can't do something even though I have paid, to walk the walk and dance the dance.

Transparency is the next world order venue this revolution will bring, hence we instead blow this

frigging world up from greedy corporations. There is war because of profits of weapons sales, war is

business that these profits drive. War is making old men richer and young men dead....

Trade follows the flag and war gives that flag motion. To me one life is not worth the corporation greed.

Remix OS (Android-based) is a dark horse in the PC OS race!

I'm positive Microsoft executives are watching this development closely after they just about skidded out of the mobile racetrack.

20 minutes ago, SURbit said:

Then graphics is eye candy for advertising which is right up there in the money chain

Linux  has all kinds of eye candy though  you can simply download  about any theme  you want or make you're  own . Its open source  meaning  you dont need to use patchers , 3rd party software or only use M$ approved  themes . :)

18 hours ago, steven36 said:

This is a good question to ask NASA  who uses Debian Linux  to power the space station up there.  And Linux is already in many cars . :P

Because ISS can't afford a forced system restart after updates are installed on Windows 10. lol

58 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Because ISS can't afford a forced system restart after updates are installed on Windows 10. lol

That  didn't even make any sense dude and is totally  off topic .The IS is not in space  and i hope they all use windows 10 and M$ is turning them into nsa  and the kgb right now.

11 hours ago, steven36 said:

That  didn't even make any sense dude and is totally  off topic .The IS is not in space  and i hope they all use windows 10 and M$ is turning them into nsa  and the kgb right now.

Dude! ISS means International space station... :D 

7 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Dude! ISS means International space station...

Now i get what you're saying and its more like they cant afford a BSOD  from windows  10  . They use to use windows XP :P

Now i get what you're saying and its more like cant they afford a BSOD  from windows  10  . They use to use windows XP :P

XP didn't have BSOD?

it doesn't receive any updates from M$ :/

plus installation takes about 45Mins but Windows 10 installs in 5Mins max.

Just now, saeed_dc said:

XP didn't have BSOD?

it doesn't receive any updates from M$ :/

it was more stable only time it bsod on me was if i  installed  something that caused it to bsod . Windows 8.1 and 10 known to bsod just from a botched updates, Non of the military in the USA  uses anything other than XP  Linux or older stuff that should tell you something .. and the Navy still gets updates for XP they paid millions for them.

it was more stable only time it bsod on me was if i  installed  something that caused it to bsod . Windows 8.1 and 10 known to bsod just from a botched updates, Non of the military in the USA  uses anything other than XP  Linux or older stuff that should tell you something .. and the Navy still gets updates for XP they paid millions for them.

is there anyway we can get our hands on those XP updates?

11 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

is there anyway we can get our hands on those XP updates?

Only way M$ will give updates for XP  is to  pay  millions of dollars ,  The UK paid for awhile but they upgrade to windows 7 now , the IRS and the Navy  still  pay I know . Its a waste of taxpayers money they should  have to switch to Linux too . :P

Only way M$ will give updates for XP  is to  pay  millions of dollars ,  The UK paid for awhile but they upgrade to windows 7 now , the IRS and the Navy  still  pay I know . Its a waste of taxpayers money they should  have to switch to Linux too . :P

I know I mean maybe those updates get leaked so others can install it as well.

Linux sux in terms of compatibility :frusty:

Just now, saeed_dc said:

I know I mean maybe those updates get leaked so others can install it as well.

Linux sux in terms of compatibility

With what? windows programs . I'm on Linux right now I don't have no compatibility issues with  Linux programs .   When I feel the need to use windows programs I use windows .  :)

12 hours ago, steven36 said:

With what? windows programs . I'm on Linux right now I don't have no compatibility issues with  Linux programs .   When I feel the need to use windows programs I use windows .  :)

That's because you just sometimes feel the need to use Windows, I constantly feel the need to use Windows and sometimes feel the need to use Linux :D

12 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

That's because you just sometimes feel the need to use Windows, I constantly feel the need to use Windows and sometimes feel the need to use Linux :D

Not really,  i had been on windows for a few  weeks  , I was to lazy to switch  back I just got around to it today, I'm the same way when on Linux I don't like fooling with changing pcs. I'm very versatile like  that. i adapt  to to things very easy.  :D

Not really,  i had been on windows for a few  weeks  , I was to lazy to switch  back I just got around to it today, I'm the same way when on Linux I dont fooling with changing pcs. Im very versatile like  that i adapt  to to things very easy.  :D

Adaption doesn't even cover it on Linux, specially distros like Ubuntu with fancy UI but when you need to do the real stuff as you do in Windows then you'll just find out that you know nothing about how it actually works, what are the commands in terminal and how dependent you are to text-based DOS-era window, that's why it sucks. -_-

Take group policy or active directory for example

Nothing really beats Windows' UI, even programmers making UI for Windows can't beat the original Microsoft UI

8 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Adaption doesn't even cover it on Linux, specially distros like Ubuntu with fancy UI but when you need to do the real stuff as you do in Windows then you'll just find out that you know nothing about how it actually works, what are the commands in terminal and how dependent you are to text-based DOS-era windows, that's why it sucks. -_-

Take group policy or active directory for example

What stuff?  I can do everything on Linux  that i use windows for  .  Only I need the terminal if I need to   install something not in my software manger . Most Linux distros comes packed full of software  out the box  and there's much more  you can get from the software manger or you can install other stuff via terminal if you like.

What stuff?  I can do everything on Linux  that i use windows for  .  Only I need the terminal if i need to do  install something not in my software manger . Most Linux distros comes packed full of software  out the box  and there's much more  you can get from the software manger or you can install other stuff via terminal if you like.

So tell me how do you share your Internet connection in a Linux (VM) to a Windows (Host) ?

when they're both Windows this task is done in 1 minute. do you know how to do it that way?

Archived