Is Microsoft’s Aggressive Windows 10 Push Reason Enough to Switch to Linux?

Batu69

Some users claim they have already switched sides

Windows 10 was released with much fanfare in the summer of 2015, and since then, Microsoft has been continuously pushing everyone to adopt it.

And since it’s being offered as a free upgrade for those running Windows 7 or 8.1, the company has also turned to a very aggressive campaign to bring Windows 10 on these computers, including “accidental” installs that started all of a sudden for a number of users.

Additionally, Microsoft is also displaying upgrade notifications on computers running a previous Windows version to let them know about Windows 10, saying that this approach is supposed to make the transition to the new OS a little bit easier.

So it’s no surprise that many are very angry with Microsoft’s strategy, especially if they want to stick to their current OS install and avoid the update to Windows 10.

What users say

Anti-Microsoft and anti-Windows 10 posts are all over the web these days, but the best place to look for them is the Microsoft Community forums, where users publish their criticism because they’re sure the company would read it.

And there are a lot of messages saying that, after being upgraded to Windows 10 all of a sudden, they decided to switch sides and go to Apple or Linux.

“I'm so fed up with Microsoft and their lack of concern and decided to get a MacBook Pro. Loved it! Since purchasing the MacBook Pro, I've gotten an iPad Pro, too. Love it! I also have an iPhone. This issue with Microsoft is simply the icing on the cake of growing discontentment with all things Microsoft/PC!” one user explained.

What Microsoft says

On the other hand, Microsoft says that it’s well aware that its campaign could anger some users, but bringing people to Windows 10 is a priority and a responsibility, given the fact that it offers increased security and better performance.

Chris Capossela, Microsoft’s Chief Marketing Officer, has explained that the company wants to fight fragmentation, and it’s hard to move the world to Windows 10 without angering some people.

“We just know there's a lot of people out there who constantly kick the can down the street without a little bit more of a, frankly, a push and there's no doubt with a basis big as ours it's hard to move anyone to a new model without angering some people. We don't want to anger anybody, but do we feel a responsibility to get people to a much better place and we think Windows 10 is a much better place than Windows 7,” Capossela says.

In the end, everyone believes that users should be allowed to choose what to do next, and Microsoft goes along with that, adding that Windows 10 is a 100 percent optional download for everyone. We’re pretty sure not everyone agrees, though.

Article source

• Replies 79
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not going to be forced to use linux Im volunteering choosing to dual-boot windows with linux nobody tells me what to do with the exception of my parents and my girlfriend lawls.

I run the version of windows I want to run, setup the way I want to run it, and the same goes for linux, mac osx, and my hackintoshes.  I still have my Dell Mini 9 running Snow Leopard which I upgraded the memory, storage, and battery on years ago when I first bought it.  I called it a Mini Mac (Apple stole my name for their little desktop) (has White Mac Apple hiding the Dell logo) and everyone always wants to know where I got it.  I tell them it is an experimental Mac that I helped develop when I worked at Apple.  So you could say, in that respect, that idiots drive me to running certain things because it is so much fun to mess with what little brains they have.

Airstream_Bill

I love to sit back and Grimace every Second Tuesday of the Month.  I never know what is going to happen or expect at 12 Noon to my Windows 10 System, New York time.  Oh! Darn THAT IS TODAY!!!! :unsure:

They propose Linux as if it's another version of Windows, everybody will have problems, (80% compatibility issues), doesn't make difference whether you're a pro or newbie , Linux is made for specific purposes that's why there are many distros of it, there is a reason why after 20 years free Linux hasn't taken Windows' place in our computers.. ;)

2 hours ago, Airstream_Bill said:

I love to sit back and Grimace every Second Tuesday of the Month.  I never know what is going to happen or expect at 12 Noon to my Windows 10 System, New York time.  Oh! Darn THAT IS TODAY!!!! :unsure:

Never mind Bill,switch on Spotify and chill out !!,CrazyCanuck's been well busy today modding!,think he'll be chillin out on Spotify as well.............lol.

4 hours ago, Batu69 said:

In the end, everyone believes that users should be allowed to choose what to do next, and Microsoft goes along with that, adding that Windows 10 is a 100 percent optional download for everyone.

Oh Sure... that's why Microsoft only gives users the "choice" of "Upgrade now" or "Upgrade tonight", with no obvious "No thanks" option.

That's choice... Microsoft style.

My choice... install GWX Control Panel, and let ME, the owner of my PC, choose if and when to upgrade. At this stage, my answer is a resounding NO, I will NOT bow to MIcrosoft's forcing and their inability to treat users as adults capable of making their own decisions.

I wonder if these Microsoft idiots actually believe the utter shit that escapes from their mouths.

A friend of mine gots this get windows ten app and the upgrade now or upgrade later there might not be a no thanks option there is a x button at the top right of the window to close the window and that is reminiscent of a no thanks option its when they take that x button away that the get windows ten app truly turns to malware.  I did the same sh*t when I got that app clicked on the x button its works like a charm.

10 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

They propose Linux as if it's another version of Windows, everybody will have problems, (80% compatibility issues), doesn't make difference whether you're a pro or newbie , Linux is made for specific purposes that's why there are many distros of it, there is a reason why after 20 years free Linux hasn't taken Windows' place in our computers.. ;)

Linux had already taken Windows' place and the reason is free and secure[with better privacy than in Windows 10]. Since MS can show their stats, don't think Linux users are less.

The numbers are wrong. You can calculate number of users running Windows/Mac/ChromeOS. However, there is no perfect stats on number of users with Ubuntu or other linux distros.

You can also read this article from Canonical on number of Ubuntu users.

If you dual boot with windows or have a pc with windows in your house then that proves Linux (as much as I respect it) just doesn't cut it yet as an alternative.

Windows for most; no matter how annoying Microsoft has gotten,is the only OS that just works with everything for now.

1 hour ago, vissha said:

Linux had already taken Windows' place and the reason is free and secure[with better privacy than in Windows 10]. Since MS can show their stats, don't think Linux users are less.

The numbers are wrong. You can calculate number of users running Windows/Mac/ChromeOS. However, there is no perfect stats on number of users with Ubuntu or other linux distros.

You can also read this article from Canonical on number of Ubuntu users.

wrong. linux can't take over as a multipurpose desktop os...not until there's a replacement for x.org. without that, it's stuck...stuck in QT. stuck without a meaningful directX equivalent. nothing to do but hope and wait.

15 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

Look at who the source was .. They dont speak for the Linux community.. softpedia is known to post a lot none factual news about Windows and Linux.. Leaks   not posted to public true and not true . Microsoft is headed into the clouds  . Windows 10 is a Hybrid cloud PC  . by 2020  Linux   will be the only Traditional PC O/S left that's not in the clouds . But  Microsoft is surely to get most of you in the  cloud  when updates expire for Windows 7 .  You give up you're privacy , control of updates and everything  else and  the smaller Linux community will  be happy on a Traditional PC O/S as the masses are being pimped  out by Microsoft with windows 10.   

5 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Look at who the source was .. They dont speak for the Linux community.. softpedia is known to post a lot none factual news about Windows and Linux.. Leaks   not posted to public true and not true . Microsoft is headed into the clouds  . Windows 10 is a Hybrid cloud PC  . by 2020  Linux   will be the only Traditional PC O/S left that's not in the clouds . But  Microsoft is surely to get most of you in the  cloud  when updates expire for Windows 7 .  You give up you're privacy , control of updates and everything  else and  the smaller Linux community will  be happy on a Traditional PC O/S as the masses are being pimped  out by Microsoft with windows 10.   

I've learned not to care about the article writers because they can't be trusted and it has many reasons.

I don't really think that's their road map, not everyday has access to high bandwidth Internet, take a look at the stats of the countries sorted by their Internet speed. M$ leaders are not that stupid to let their users go, it'd be the stupidest idea ever IMO. 2020 is too early for such decisions due to the current state of the Internet/computer users in the world. don't you think so?

5 hours ago, vissha said:

Linux had already taken Windows' place 

Oh when? :mellow:

thanx for the article

3 hours ago, VileTouch said:

wrong. linux can't take over as a multipurpose desktop os...not until there's a replacement for x.org. without that, it's stuck...stuck in QT. stuck without a meaningful directX equivalent. nothing to do but hope and wait.

This only matters to few  of you who plays  some games on PC  ,QT works fine  to play  Videos  and everything else  . One of the  cracking  groups  said the other day in a few more years  Games will become  uncrackble  . I would  not invest  a lot of money in a gamer PC  right now  . Its much cheaper to invest in too a console . Many pirates  promote windows to play games  and stuff  but the future  looks grim for game pirates .

6 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

2020 is too early for such decisions due to the current state of the Internet/computer users in the world. don't you think so?

No  its going  to happen  its only 4 years  away . Its already happening now  the more users that  switch to  windows 10 the more people are headed into the cloud  .

4 minutes ago, steven36 said:

No  its going  to happen  its only 4 years  away . Its already happening now  the more users that  switch to  windows 10 the more people are headed into the cloud  .

you mean they would host one virtual Windows for every users in the world? is that what you mean by "cloud" ?

10 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

you mean they would host one virtual Windows for every users in the world? is that what you mean by "cloud" ?

Already  standalone software  is out the door  there doing everything  in  the cloud  . No one is buying legacy apps much  anymore  . PCs continue on their way out the door. By 2020  few people  will even buy pcs if some kind  of miracle dont happen  soon.

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

Already  standalone software  is out the door  there doing everything  in  the cloud  . No one is buying legacy apps much  anymore  . PCs continue on their way out the door. By 2020  few people  will even buy pcs if some kind  of miracle dont happen  soon.

Standalone software like Windows Azure ? 

you seem to know something.. :ph34r:

Just now, saeed_dc said:

Standalone software like Windows Azure ? 

you seem to know something.. :ph34r:

Microsoft Azure: Cloud  and Microsoft Server  is were Microsoft  earns most of its  money now . Microsoft  not made any money off Windows much since  Windows 7 . Microsoft Server makes money even though it has very strong competition from Linux  Server  because Servers are needed  to run the internet .    

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

This only matters to few  of you who plays  some games on PC  ,QT works fine  to play  Videos  and everything else  . One of the  cracking  groups  said the other day in a few more years  Games will become  uncrackble  . I would  not invest  a lot of money in a gamer PC  right now  . Its much cheaper to invest in too a console . Many pirates  promote windows to play games  and stuff  but the future  looks grim for game pirates .

yeah...sure, visual studio is a thing of the past. soon software will be created on "modern" widgets in a cellphone. multimedia industry will go down the drain and everything will turn into simple web games.

who would use a "legacy" PC to design a car...or a rocket!...that's right! the future of humanity is in the hands of tablet manufacturers! ....are you feeling alright?

22 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

yeah...sure, visual studio is a thing of the past. soon software will be created on "modern" widgets in a cellphone. multimedia industry will go down the drain and everything will turn into simple web games.

who would use a "legacy" PC to design a car...or a rocket!...that's right! the future of humanity is in the hands of tablet manufacturers! ....are you feeling alright?

This is a good question to ask NASA  who uses Debian Linux  to power the space station up there.  And Linux is already in many cars . :P

Most rockets  and cars  were designed with some type  of legacy PC anyways.   Windows 7 is even considered legacy because it will never get any new features  . With Linux all things are possible . While Microsoft  keeps pimping everyone out  moving  them off in the cloud with the same boring O/S for the next 20 years .Linux will keep getting new distros and features . While most of the world is still stuck on windows 10. :)

3 minutes ago, steven36 said:

This is a good question to ask NASA  who uses Debian Linux  to power the space station up there.  And Linux is already in many cars . :P

here you go

took me all of 10 seconds to find.

1 minute ago, VileTouch said:

here you go

took me all of 10 seconds to find.

If Microsoft  stops making new versions  of windows what you going using in 20 years, windows 10  still  .  dont you find it boring  and strange  after updateing to a new o/s every so many years . I get bored  easy . :P

18 minutes ago, steven36 said:

If Microsoft  stops making new versions  of windows what you going using in 20 years, windows 10  still  .  dont you find it boring  and strange  after updateing to a new o/s every so many years . I get bored  easy . :P

it's not about being boring or exciting. if you need your fix go ride a roller coaster. it's about windows continuing to improve on directx while linux is still figuring out what to do.

11 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

it's not about being boring or exciting. if you need your fix go ride a roller coaster. it's about windows continuing to improve on directx while linux is still figuring out what to do.

LOL , Most people  who upgraded  to windows 10 they  are still stuck on DX 11 . The most used O/S  is Windows 7 there all stuck on old DX  . Only gamers  seems to care about windows continuing to improve on directx . While  the majority  of the end users dont give a shit . Ether there hardware will not update to DX 12 or they dont care because there fighting tooth and nail to stay on windows 7 :)

Archived