English is losing its status as the universal language of the Internet

Sylence

rtr2cacz.jpg

More than half of the internet is in English.

But that percentage may decline in the future, according to research by Álvaro Blanco from Funredes, a nonprofit that studies technology usage in the developing world.

In 1996, Blanco's research estimated that 80% of online content was in English. Less than a decade later, he said it fell to 45%. These estimations don't even take into account activity on social networks like Facebook and Twitter, since search engines only index about 30% of the web, Blanco told Quartz.

But even though English's presence online is declining, the current lack of language diversity is a huge problem on the web.

Even people who speak the most popular languages have a hard time reading online. Chinese, the most widely spoken language, makes up just 2.1% of the internet. The world's second most widely spoken language, Spanish, encompasses 4.8% of the web.Hindi, spoken by 260 million people, makes up less than 0.1% of the internet.

Organizations like UNESCO are worried that English's overbearing presence may drown out less popular languages. Activists argue that English's domination on the web could even contribute to the extinction of indigenous tongues.

Translation tools can help, however, and some experts believe machine learning will make online translation services incredibly accurate in the coming years. Within the next decade or two, all computers may have "language calculators" that interpret text with an accuracy level close to that of human translator, according to predictions by futurist Ray Kurzweil.

This technology, along with English's online decline, could create a more democratic web in the future.

source

• Replies 75
  • Views 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Bullukka said:

Graças a Deus! não aguento mais ficar tentando falar e escrever em inglês.

Eu também :D

7 hours ago, Bullukka said:

Graças a Deus! não aguento mais ficar tentando falar e escrever em inglês.

so what a hell  r u doin' here? English do not loosin' any position in nsane & language here still is English only

knowledge-Spammer

i not see y admins not let people talk in more then just English on this site  i can talk more then just little English but admins say cant talk in russian

54 minutes ago, gipsy said:

so what a hell  r u doin' here? English do not loosin' any poition in nsane & language here still English only

U mad bro?

trying to talk like tough Americans! :hehe:

Spoiler

Ви з глузду, брат?

knowledge-Spammer
1 minute ago, saeed_dc said:

U mad bro? :hehe:

Hide contents

Ви з глузду, брат?

not so much mad just not get y  99.9 of the sites i use we can talk  what language  we like  if admins not understand are language  we not in the wrong if they not so smart as people who can talk more then just English its all

5 minutes ago, knowledge said:

not so much mad just not get y  99.9 of the sites i use we can talk  what language  we like  if admins not understand are language  we not in the wrong if they not so smart as people who can talk more then just English its all

Yeah exactly, but big websites like stackexchange have different sites for each language so you can freely talk in your native language

by the way I know your not mad, I was telling it to the Ukranian guy :) 

Actually I understand in part, why only english. This is because they have great laziness to try understand other languages. And I agree to some degree. It´s not easy to grasp other culture and so on. So with english, the things comes more easy.

3 minutes ago, Bullukka said:

Actually I understand in part, why only english. This is because they have great laziness to try understand other languages. And I agree to some degree. It´s not easy to grasp other culture and so on. So with english, the things comes more easy.

11392809_10153359507433713_7046123195312705383_n.jpg

knowledge-Spammer
3 minutes ago, Bullukka said:

i think its not so much laziness  but it takes more time  if admins have to use tools like google translate to understand whats is been said

but i no of lots of people on this site that not like to post as they not understand english so much but let they are very smart  people its to bad admins not rethink about the languages more

i'm not deprecating any language here. every language is important

admins choosed a "common ground language" for us all. this way we can understand each other

i speak English, French, Arabic & a little bit German (i wish i could speak Spanish too)

in a open discussion like this one, if i replied to you in Arabic or in German, how many users can understand what i said?

but this is different in a private discussion like in inbox. you can use your own language if you wish

i myself i use english with english people, french with french members in my pms and so on...

6 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

admins choosed a "common ground language" for us all. this way we can understand each other

i speak English, French, Arabic & a little bit German (i wish i could speak Spanish too)

in a open discussion like this one, if i replied to you in Arabic or in German, how many users can understand what i said?

but this is different in a private discussion like in inbox. you can use your own language if you wish

i myself i use english with english people, french with french members in my pms and so on...

This is Nsaneforum, not like any other normal forums out here which put common restrictions on users like they're not supposed to publish copyrighted contents blah blah blah...

people's level in here is more than average computer users so I bet they know how to handle foreign languages

knowledge-Spammer
1 minute ago, jordan4x said:

i understand what u mean but yet u can talk English, French, Arabic & a little bit German so u are a smart guy but yet mad to just talk English seem mad to me as u have some good knowledge but cant use it in the right way

i give u a demo of what i mean i have 3 friends on this site removed for they are russian and made just one comment  and they was removed as they not understand English very well its mad to me i think all as they not English they never spamed or fighted with people just one comment  and all 3 of they removed  because they  russian  we see it but let it go now as admins  may not like what i may say so ill let it go now

been nice talkin to u guys

1 hour ago, gipsy said:

so what a hell  r u doin' here? English do not loosin' any poition in nsane & language here still is English only

I agree  when i go to other forums  that are not English i don't  ask them to speak English  . I get out the translator . Most these guys  type better English then me  and i'm a English speaker so what they complaining about?  if you don't want to speak in a boards language  go to one  that's that language.  Another post were people are looking for something to complain about. 

knowledge-Spammer
1 minute ago, steven36 said:

I agree  when i go to other forums  that are not English i don't  ask them to speak English  . I get out the translator . Most these guys  type better English then me  and i'm a English speaker so what they complaining about?  if don't want speak in a boards language  go to one  that's that language.  Another post were people are looking for something to complain about. 

if every one that not talk English  so well all go to a other forums we place will not be so good i have better things to complain  about then just languages

1 minute ago, knowledge said:

if every one that not talk English  so well all go to a other forums we place will not be so good i have better things to complain  about then just languages

I belong  too 3 sites that are Asian  sites I don't speak  there language . I don't understand nothing they say without a translator  but they have really good  sites . I don't  complain and ask them to speak English they would most likely ban me if i did.

knowledge-Spammer
1 minute ago, steven36 said:

I belong  too 3 sites that are Asian  sites I don't speak  there language . I don't understand nothing they say without a translator  but they have really good  sites . I don't  complain and ask them to speak English they would most likely ban me if i did.

ok ill make it easy for u to understand  English  is easy to understand  for law enforcement  think about it more u get what i mean

this my last comment on this topic 

but as the name of the topic say English is losing its status as the universal language of the Internet y is this u think ?

5 minutes ago, knowledge said:

ok ill make it easy for u to understand  English  is easy to understand  for law enforcement  think about it more u get what i mean

this my last comment on this topic 

but as the name of the topic say English is losing its status as the universal language of the Internet y is this u think ?

I understand what you mean but  it don't matter  what you speak  there are law enforcement that can translate it  or speaks it. law enforcement watches those  sites too . maybe even more  .

33 minutes ago, steven36 said:

I understand your native language is English but I bet no translator can translate the way you write English in this forum. loL

14 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

I understand your native language is English but I bet no translator can translate the way you write English in this forum. loL

Lets not get into this  as the rules don't allow me too really . They say we have to focus on how were alike not different  and this topic focus on how we are different. I can tell you one thing though the translator don't work very  well for non English sites translated back to English and i read very well.

If you  ever tired  to use machine translated subtitles  you would understand  what i mean if you read English good.

1 hour ago, jordan4x said:

@jordan4x. Whats your mother tongue and whether can you read and write in Arabic and German

Just now, Ghazi said:

Jordan. Whats your mother tongue and whether can you read and write in Arabic and German

i was born in a multicultural family & environment. i have 2 native languages: English & French

i learned Arabic too & can read & write it perfectly

i learned some German myself by taking courses & reading some books but i still have to study more ,-)

• DKT27 locked this topic

Archived