[insane] Computer build around 10 lacs INR

rudrax

One of my friends got great returns from one of his investments and went crazy after that. He wants to build a computer system around 10 lacs INR (around 15000 USD). I guess he will get best specs out there. I wasn't believing him but he called me after his crazy message. He is serious. Now I have got a headache.

So friends, help me out and start suggesting the best components out there.

• Replies 58
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Taker said:

Those are capital gains, I suppose.

Tell him to pay the tax on this and then adjust his budget ;)

His budget is 15 lacs though where peripheral components of 5 lacs will be of his own choice. 

Intel Core i7-5960X - $1000

Asus X99 WS Workstation grade MoBo - $480

G. Skill Ripjaws 4 32GB 3666 Mhz DDR4 kit - $1600

Samsung XP941 M.2 512GB SSD - $500

Samsung 850 Pro 4x1TB - $2000

EVGA Classified GTX 980 Quad SLI - $3200

Corsair AX1500i PSU 1500 watt - $480

CaseLabs MAGNUM SXA8 super tower - $520

Corsair Hydro 100i water cooler - $100

Asus Xonar DX sound card - $100

Asus 4k gaming monitor - $600

Total = $10580

Mission accomplished :thumbsup: 

Wow. Hardware sure is expensive in India. Things are so much cheaper outside.

With that budget I was thinking of a custom OIL-COOLED rig.

I hope he's happy! ;)

1 hour ago, rudrax said:

Intel Core i7-5960X - $1000

Asus X99 WS Workstation grade MoBo - $480

G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR4 kit - $1600

Samsung XP941 M.2 512GB SSD - $500

Samsung 850 Pro 4x1TB - $2000

EVGA Classified GTX 980 Quad SLI - $3200

Corsair AX1500i PSU 1500 watt - $480

CaseLabs MAGNUM SXA8 super tower - $520

Corsair Hydro 100i water cooler - $100

Asus Xonar DX sound card - $100

Asus 4k gaming monitor - $600

Total = $10580

some specs:o.but 4k gaming is a mistake,pretty expensive mistake imo.

44 minutes ago, gipsy said:

some specs:o.but 4k gaming is a mistake,pretty expensive mistake imo.

What kind of mistake. It will be great if you can explain a bit.

It is his dream machine that he wants to build. His primary purpose is to build an ultimate hack-machine. Another around $7000 he will spend on other hacking related kits. Yet, he will show off among his friends gaming on 4K. Rich lad, can do anything.

LoL, I am struggling to buy a $450 laptop for myself but building a $15000 dream machine for my friend. :rofl:

14 minutes ago, rudrax said:

What kind of mistake. It will be great if you can explain a bit.

It is his dream machine that he wants to build. His primary purpose is to build an ultimate hack-machine. Another around $7000 he will spend on other hacking related kits. Yet, he will show off among his friends gaming on 4K. Rich lad, can do anything.

LoL, I am struggling to buy a $450 laptop for myself but building a $15000 dream machine for my friend. :rofl:

i'll try to explain mine opinion.some friend of mine is a PC builder & time to time invitin' me to check his "creations",my own eyes didn't see difference between Ultra settings FHD & 4k which can cost about a half price of all set. once again-it's not a true,just personal opinion is.

in case with your friend ...i think he don't care about 4k or FHD much indeed,it's just a variant to show others how successful he is...human nature:D

almost forget .do not usin' eyeglasses/lenses & my profession requirin' very good vision  .

5 hours ago, rudrax said:

Total = $10580

that's a ripoff :grunt:

For one, an i7-5930K is much more cost-effective than i7-5960X, i7-5820K is even better if you can settle with 3-Way SLI

And why 4x1TB SATA3 SSD? why not just a PCIE Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD?

SATA3 vs PCIE3_x4 M.2

Max Interface Speed (MBps): 600 vs 4000

Typical Max Sequential Read Speed: 550 vs 2500

so even 4 SATA3 in RAID0/1 can't beat M.2 in term of Read Speed (Write Speed maybe yes)

If you were looking for large SSD storage, Samsung 850 Pro 2TB would be better.

GTX 980... 4K with AA may use over 4GB VRam, try 2/3-Way GTX 980 Ti 6GB

4-Way not recommended, FPS scaling decrements with SLI, See GTX 980 Ti 3-Way SLI: Overkilling It

11 hours ago, gipsy said:

i'll try to explain mine opinion.some friend of mine is a PC builder & time to time invitin' me to check his "creations",my own eyes didn't see difference between Ultra settings FHD & 4k which can cost about a half price of all set. once again-it's not a true,just personal opinion is.

in case with your friend ...i think he don't care about 4k or FHD much indeed,it's just a variant to show others how successful he is...human nature:D

almost forget .do not usin' eyeglasses/lenses & my profession requirin' very good vision  .

I think, In case of bigger displays the 4K will look better than the FHD. Anyway, he got the money and doesn't want to compromise at any aspect.

I am also thinking of suggesting a 3D vision kit to him. Let's see. 

10 hours ago, player said:

that's a ripoff :grunt:

For one, an i7-5930K is much more cost-effective than i7-5960X, i7-5820K is even better if you can settle with 3-Way SLI

And why 4x1TB SATA3 SSD? why not just a PCIE Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD?

SATA3 vs PCIE3_x4 M.2

Max Interface Speed (MBps): 600 vs 4000

Typical Max Sequential Read Speed: 550 vs 2500

so even 4 SATA3 in RAID0/1 can't beat M.2 in term of Read Speed (Write Speed maybe yes)

If you were looking for large SSD storage, Samsung 850 Pro 2TB would be better.

GTX 980... 4K with AA may use over 4GB VRam, try 2/3-Way GTX 980 Ti 6GB

4-Way not recommended, FPS scaling decrements with SLI, See GTX 980 Ti 3-Way SLI: Overkilling It

I know, there are very cost effective suggestions yet won't please the eye as the best. I will look into your GPU suggestion though. 

8 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Show him this.

Even he won't be able to afford those Golden and Platinum PCs. :spank:

What? You want liquid nitrogen cooler???

Oh dear, you could try Peltier cooler, or try refrigerant cooler (like a fridge on the cpu).  Definitely don't try liquid N2 because you have to keep topping it up!

3 hours ago, vibranium said:

What? You want liquid nitrogen cooler???

Oh dear, you could try Peltier cooler, or try refrigerant cooler (like a fridge on the cpu).  Definitely don't try liquid N2 because you have to keep topping it up!

So link me to the best practical CPU cooler in the plannet. 

Finally, one small suggestion.

Some of your friend's money could be donated to charity. Don't throw it all away spending on hardware.

you might or might not like charities, but either way it's smart thing to reinvest large amounts of money instead of "throwing it away" in a super computer, a sports car, a mansion, a yatch, a jet, etc. unless you REALLY need it. In other words, don't confuse "need" and "want". two different things.

that said, i7 are not really the very top of the line. Xeon are. 16 cores per, up to 64 cores per node.

forget about liquid cooling. you won't get your money's worth from it individually. on big clusters they use liquid cooling because 1) you can stack racks tighter so you need to air cool/dehumidify a smaller area and 2) they have a single, massive cooling tower to recycle all the coolant., which is both cheaper and more convenient than individual cooling....cool huh?

if you're thinking about BTC, there are far cheaper options, both in infrastructure costs and energy efficiency.

if you're thinking about a server farm, bear in mind that there are far larger costs involved. and you won't see returns for a LONG time, if ever, unless you mount a massive (worldwide) operation.

if you're thinking about scientific research...well, that's basically a money blackhole and you're not expected to see ANY returns or benefit out of it. but if your research budget allows such luxuries and will keep coming either way, you might as well use it, right?

if you're thinking about gaming....just gtfo. this is not for you. games nowadays can't even fully benefit from a single i7 yet.

2 hours ago, vibranium said:

Finally, one small suggestion.

Some of your friend's money could be donated to charity. Don't throw it all away spending on hardware.

I can just suggest him to do charity a bit but can't force him as he owns his own money, I have no hand in that. I would be really thankful to you if you can modify my build to make it even better. Leave the CPU, RAM, MoBo alone and add your choices for the next components and post here your build with your choice of hardwares. Please note that the performance should not be compromised. Also, do post the links to buy them from online stores (international sites like amazon, ebay, newegg etc.)

53 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

you might or might not like charities, but either way it's smart thing to reinvest large amounts of money instead of "throwing it away" in a super computer, a sports car, a mansion, a yatch, a jet, etc. unless you REALLY need it. In other words, don't confuse "need" and "want". two different things.

that said, i7 are not really the very top of the line. Xeon are. 16 cores per, up to 64 cores per node.

forget about liquid cooling. you won't get your money's worth from it individually. on big clusters they use liquid cooling because 1) you can stack racks tighter so you need to air cool/dehumidify a smaller area and 2) they have a single, massive cooling tower to recycle all the coolant., which is both cheaper and more convenient than individual cooling....cool huh?

if you're thinking about BTC, there are far cheaper options, both in infrastructure costs and energy efficiency.

if you're thinking about a server farm, bear in mind that there are far larger costs involved. and you won't see returns for a LONG time, if ever, unless you mount a massive (worldwide) operation.

if you're thinking about scientific research...well, that's basically a money blackhole and you're not expected to see ANY returns or benefit out of it. but if your research budget allows such luxuries and will keep coming either way, you might as well use it, right?

if you're thinking about gaming....just gtfo. this is not for you. games nowadays can't even fully benefit from a single i7 yet.

As of charity, I hava explained it to @vibranium. It will be really great help if you can propose your own build. He will also have a budget of $7000 for server and networking components. Ultimately he wants to build an ultimate hack machine and gaming power house with a client desktop, server and networking components. He works as a security expert for HP so he has very less time to do all these search by himself. Also he has very less real-time hardware knowledge. So in his circle he found me who can help him the best in this regard. And I only will be the best if you guys help me. 

• Administrator

I too think Xeon would be better than i7.

Give him gaming grade, 7.1 surround sound headphones with mic and or speakers. WiFi router based on AC. A full HD webcam or something. Also put some cold cathodes into this case with LED fans. A blu-ray drive too. A gaming controller like Xbox One Controller for PC. Sound card can be better than that, more expensive ones are available. Does he need a printer then give him a 3D printer or something, if not then a color lazer printer. You are forgetting gaming keyboards that are mechanical keyboards with RGB LED lights. Gaming mice with high comfort and DPI. Do not forget small things like spike guard and such.

Make sure to look for quality over the price. You can buy the most expensive components but they should not only look good but work well I think.

23 minutes ago, rudrax said:

I would be really thankful to you if you can modify my build to make it even better. Leave the CPU, RAM, MoBo alone and add your choices for the next components and post here your build with your choice of hardwares. Please note that the performance should not be compromised. Also, do post the links to buy them from online stores (international sites like amazon, ebay, newegg etc.)

Your proposed rig is powerful enough. I can't think of any major improvement.

Given what I have experienced in India, I would suggest the acquisition of a good UPS, so that there won't be any sudden power cuts, killing the SSD. Any local model would be fine because your AX1500i power supply already has excellent voltage stabilization.

1 hour ago, rudrax said:

He works as a security expert for HP so he has very less time to do all these search by himself. Also he has very less real-time hardware knowledge. So in his circle he found me who can help him the best in this regard.

Is he an independent contractor? Otherwise it is ridiculous for an HP personnel seeking PC assembling support outside of the firm.

31 minutes ago, vibranium said:

Given what I have experienced in India, I would suggest the acquisition of a good UPS

This.

16 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

I too think Xeon would be better than i7.

CMIIW, but gaming performance does not yet scale well with multithreads let alone multiprocessors.

An overclocked i7-5XXX gives better single thread performance.

As with previous hardware related threads, I'd suggest you to ask in tomshardware.com, as nsane specializes in software but not hardware. I'm not saying you can't ask here but i'd expect better help there. I'm telling you this as I'm running out of patient to help any further, yet there is certainly room for improvement in your build.

eg. Samsung 950 Pro M.2 has double the speed as Samsung XP941 M.2

Also I wonder did your client explicitly demand a 4K-ready build, as 4K at 60FPS is still difficult for some games, while 1440p is well handled by 2-Way 980 Ti. There are tradeoffs in SLI as it brings input-lag & micro-stuttering. If you opt for 3/4-Way there's not only increase cost but also higher power consumption (need for better cooling, PSU, & possibly UPS), and most glaringly diminishing gain in FPS with worsened input lag & stuttering.

With the availability of 1440p 144Hz GSync monitor, I would hardly call it a compromise.

Signing off.

Alright guys I will go through your suggestions and will see what could be modified. 

LOL* I think there are quite a few experts coming here too. Feel free to keep asking, and keep us posted about your slick rig.

46 minutes ago, vibranium said:

LOL* I think there are quite a few experts coming here too. Feel free to keep asking, and keep us posted about your slick rig.

Yep, he will start importing things that are not available in India from January. Till then he asked me to see the scope for any possible betterment in the specs sheet. 

Archived