Upgrade: IPS Community Suite 4.1

shought

Many of you probably don't know about or care for this, but we run our community on software created by IPS. They released their next major version (IPS Community Suite 4 | Demo) on the 9th of April this year. It is a complete rewrite of their system and includes many improvements and probably quite some bugs as well. Hence we waited for version 4.1 to be released last October.

The upgrade process from version 3.x to 4.x was improved and yesterday I managed to successfully carry out an upgrade on our test board. However there are still a lot of background processes running which are intended to convert the old data structures into the new. In short the upgrade process for our live board will entail the following:

• upgrading the software itself, whilst maintaining avatars, uploaded content, etc. (
  • upgrading the database structures to make sure the new software can work with the old database (
  • running the background tasks to convert the data in the database to the new format (
These times are all estimates. The first two tasks will cause some downtime, but during the third task the forums should be online (albeit a little slower than usual). These background tasks are however a necessary part of the process and before they are finished some things will look weird: posts, signatures, reports, status updates, etc. I haven't planned a date and time to start the conversion yet, but it will happen in the near future and this topic is intended to let you know about it beforehand.

• Replies 25
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note: the forums will probably be considerably slower until this upgrade has been carried out, because I have to test a lot of things on the test forum and our database server now has to handle two huge-ass databases instead of one.

great job NSANE TEAM.glad to hear 

I personally would not recommend a further upgrade, because there is still a lot of problems. Including those where the entire database becomes unusable.

And one more little thing - it requires PHP version 5.6 (min is 5.4.0) and MySQL version 5.6 is recommended, but works if MySQL is at least 5.1.8x

I've been following this development beginning from time, when the first public test version was released. Also now I have two test versions somewhere.

IPS Relese Notes: https://community.invisionpower.com/release-notes/

keep up guyz ..always waited to see improvements and enhancements!!

b/w when ru planning to upgrade and whats the downtime

regards

freeforever03

Thank you for donating your time and skill to update this board. It is much appreciated. Happy holidays to all.

Thanks guys :)

I personally would not recommend a further upgrade, because there is still a lot of problems. Including those where the entire database becomes unusable.

And one more little thing - it requires PHP version 5.6 (min is 5.4.0) and MySQL version 5.6 is recommended, but works if MySQL is at least 5.1.8x

I've been following this development beginning from time, when the first public test version was released. Also now I have two test versions somewhere.

IPS Relese Notes: https://community.invisionpower.com/release-notes/

We make use of PHP 5.6 and MySQL 5.6, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm fairly sure we will be able to tackle any database related issues as we've already made much of the changes required for version 4 earlier in time. Do you have any specific links which outline cases where the entire database becomes unstable? I'd be happy to look at them and see if they apply to us.

At the moment not have links, I have not been collected them, but i recommend to make a backup before upgrading, and do not store the backup on the same server. .
Personally I have met a situation where a completely unknown reasons, the upgrade process is interrupted, and the database is corrupted.

True, this happened when there was the version 4.0.10 and 4.0.11 (4.0.13.1 was in  this row the last, it generally worked).

With version 4.1.x  has not so far nothing significant happened.

At the moment not have links, I have not been collected them, but i recommend to make a backup before upgrading, and do not store the backup on the same server. .

Personally I have met a situation where a completely unknown reasons, the upgrade process is interrupted, and the database is corrupted.

True, this happened when there was the version 4.0.10 and 4.0.11 (4.0.13.1 was in  this row the last, it generally worked).

With version 4.1.x  has not so far nothing significant happened.

I've ran the upgrade on our text board to which I copied the entire database of our live board and it completed with some minors errors that I fixed :)

Let's hope 4.1 has fixed all issues.

Anyone that doesnt care about this doesnt have a true love for this website and these forums.  I think this is very nice keep up the good work.  I agree thank you very much for putting your time and energy into this.

Please I'm begging don't make the site look like the one i got in my email :( :notworthy: :please: :please:

I've just learned that the search functionality will not be working as long as the background tasks are running.

Also I'm increasing my earlier estimate for this stage from 48 hours to 72 hours.

in my opinion do not rush to upgrade, because in this version there are still many incomplete 4xx like app and plugin support. and I was waiting for some file was created and can work smoothly in version...

I would recommend to make a change in the sidebar blocks and allow the "Last Posts" and "Last Topics", because otherwise it is impossible at all to understand, what is happening. 
These should be visible on all pages, not just on the first page.

And one more thing - would be nice if the posts can be sorted by default so that newer are before. Seems that now they are on the contrary.

good work  you get back nsaneforums and nsanedown very fast

migration on new version of any  forum software  It is very demanding both physically and mentally

my comments
I'd gotten used to the skin, but it would add a couple of skins that users can choose
where the user's signature, my signature is completely erased and I can not rewrite it and I can no longer remember exactly what I had there

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, kasper said:

where the user's signature, my signature is completely erased and I can not rewrite it and I can no longer remember exactly what I had there

Alot of "background" tasks are still on-ongoing, this may take a couple of days to complete. One of the tasks is converting signatures.

Archived