[android] Device "Hard Brick" Scenarios

rudrax

I am looking to unlock the bootloader of my Asus Zenfone 5 device in order to instal a custom ROM. I am also aware of the fact that unlocking bootloader may also lead the device to hard bricked condition.

So, I wanna know from experienced android users that at what condition(s) after unlocking the bootloader, the device will be at hard bricked state? If I fail to instal the custom ROM after unlocking the bootloader, will my device get hard bricked?

Edited by rudrax

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dodel

• rudrax

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking to unlock the bootloader of my Asus Zenfone 5 device in order to instal a custom ROM. I am also aware of the fact that unlocking bootloader may also lead the device to hard bricked condition.

So, I wanna know from experienced android users that at what condition(s) after unlocking the bootloader, the device will be at hard bricked state? If I fail to instal the custom ROM after unlocking the bootloader, will my device get hard bricked?

As long as you follow the instructions, you won't brick it, also ensure you install a custom recovery like TWRP, if you don't you WILL end up with a bricked device. Having a custom recovery on will always allow you to get to your phone either by adb / sideload, which will in turn allow you to copy a rom over in case of a hard brick.

I've done this several times. granted not on an Asus Zenfone 5, but android is android on any device.

Not tested, but this is the how to for your phone :-

Kitkat : http://forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone-5/general/root-asus-zenfone-5-kitkat-4-4-2-100-t2947092?nocache=1

Lollipop : http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-root-zenfone-5-android-5-0-lollipop-v3-23-40-52-one-click-tool-1505424