Spectre: Five star reviews greet new Bond movie

MegaMind

Critics have given the new James Bond film an enthusiastic welcome, with one saluting it as "pure action mayhem".

Spectre, The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw continued in his five-star review, is "terrifically exciting, spectacular [and] uproariously entertaining".

The Times said Sam Mendes' film was "achingly cool", while The Independent said it was "every bit the equal of its predecessor", 2012 release Skyfall.

Critics were shown Spectre on Wednesday ahead of its release next week.

The film sees Daniel Craig return as British spy James Bond, aka 007, in a globe-trotting blockbuster named after a sinister criminal syndicate.

Two-time Oscar winner Christoph Waltz, French actress Lea Seydoux and Italy's Monica Bellucci also appear in the 24th official entry in the long-running series.

'Jaw-dropping'

According to the Daily Mirror, Spectre is "an adventure right up there with the superspy's best" featuring "moments of jaw-dropping stuntwork".

The Sun's reviewer concurred, saying the film contains "all the classic elements fans expect", including a "jaw-dropping opening sequence".

Variety also singled out this "expensively ludicrous opening sequence, set in Mexico City on the Day of the Dead," saying it "ranks among the great 007 intros".

Other industry papers were less effusive, though, with the Hollywood Reportersaying it "ultimately feels like a lesser film than Skyfall, falling back on cliche and convention."

Screen International, meanwhile, said the film "falls back on the formula to deliver a slightly flat, old-fashioned 007 by the numbers".

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait to see it!! Daniel Craig is a great James Bond..the closest to the character that Ian Fleming wrote in the novels. His Bond was a killer, licensed to kill..he was a "good guy" but was ruthless and could be a b*stard, just like Daniel Craig portrays him.

As for the "critics"..always when a great movie comes along and is receiving great reviews, there's always a couple of these "knowledgeable" media reviewers who like to go against the flow and say "actually it´s not that good..". They just like to make themselves appear important.

This is a movie to ENTERTAIN...something that many critics don't get. :)

Can't wait to see it!! Daniel Craig is a great James Bond..the closest to the character that Ian Fleming wrote in the novels. His Bond was a killer, licensed to kill..he was a "good guy" but was ruthless and could be a b*stard, just like Daniel Craig portrays him.

As for the "critics"..always when a great movie comes along and is receiving great reviews, there's always a couple of these "knowledgeable" media reviewers who like to go against the flow and say "actually it´s not that good..". They just like to make themselves appear important.

This is a movie to ENTERTAIN...something that many critics don't get. :)

Craig is ordinary Bond IMO,Connery is real Bond for all times 4 me.Use 2 be a huge fan of Bondiana but not anymore after a "Skyfall" (biggest piece of crap i ever seen).Do not waitin' much new serie but deep inside hope a critics was not for 100% paid.

just 4 fun & little mind's training -did anybody knows which American movie of UK producer was a prototype of the series?Little help-British man is world famous one ,a father of some genre ;)

Secret Agent 1936? Torn Curtain 1966? or maybe Topaz 1969?

Em...Foreign Correspondent 1940? I give in!!!! lol :D

Em...Foreign Correspondent 1940? I give in!!!! lol :D

nope man,don't wanna force u 2 count all Hitchcock movies.

it's "North by Northwest" :P

north.jpeg

Gypsy, thanks for putting me out of my misery!!! Did you know that the actor Rod Taylor was the preferred guy to have the role in the first Bond movie...but due to him being contracted to another movie he couldn't do it. Kind of like what happened to Tom Selleck, the original choice for Indiana Jones...due to the tv scriptwriter's strike his Magnum P.I. season was delayed and he couldn't do Raiders Of The Lost Ark...and the rest is history!!!! :rolleyes:

yeah hermano,i heard Connery wasn't only one canditate for a Bond but about Selleck as Jones know nothin'.Sure it's not only one example in cinematograph's history.

added after.

movie isn't really imo,critics was damn good paid .

• 1 month later...

Archived