Laptop RAM Upgrade

Tweety.Abd

@ gipsy. Take a look results from speccy

LTe5iCU.png

Need your help with Maximum Bandwidth. If I cannot find RAM with 800 Mhz should I put a 1600 Mhz or not :huh:

• Replies 49
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, so I'm still undecided on how to proceed with upgrading my laptop. I've narrowed down to following combinations:

Upgrade 1:

Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD + Kingston HyperX Impact Black 8GB

Price: $139.56

Upgrade 2:

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD

Price: $159.00

Upgrade 3:

Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD + Corsair Vengeance Performance 16GB

Price: $178.23

It'd be great if you guys could chip in with your suggestions and expertise. :wub: .

If I were you, I would go for Option 2. The extra RAM is not going to give me any remarkable performance boost than the installed 6GB RAM.

Or still want to upgrade both, go for Option 3. By this configurations, your RAMs will be operated in dual channel mode (assuming option 3 comprises 2 memory modules and option 1, 1 memory module)

@Tweety.Abd

your fantasy not too big bro

how about extra RAM+120Gb of SSD(for system files)+replace your DVD drive to optibay with stock HDD?

about CPU replacement we may talk little bit later ;)

if exist only 3 variants,3th-best one imo.

fwiw

The laptop I use is G570 - Lenovo says 8gb max.

I bought 16gb Low volt generic ram from crucial & it would work, but some blue screens on win8/8.1, showed running at 1.28v. Would blue screen and loose files too at the same time on the hard drive so I always would go back to 8gb.

Win 10 came along and it now runs 16gb no problem at 1.35v according to cpu-z or other various programs.

Bios screen doesn't have enough digits in its field to show the first 1 of the 16gb :)

I picked up the i7 sandy bridge processor for 50 usd off amazon. Think a replacement fan was $5, and $10 for some heatsink compound. Not a huge noticeable improvement, except doing larger things like scans are shorter times.

Replaced the main drive with 250 Samsung evo, wow, impressive difference - then bought a hard drive caddy for the DVD slot(dropped to sata300) and put the evo there and a Samsung 128 pro as the main. That was a quite nice noticeable improvement ! The biggest bang.

Now prices are even less could have bought a 250pro for nearly the price I paid for 128pro a year ago.

Ram, virtually no seat of the pants improvement at all between 8gb and 16.

Daily image backup .. under two minutes usually to that second drive,, don't even notice when it happens. Re-Image takes about 35 seconds once at the right page which takes longer to reach than the actual writing.

Guys, so I'm still undecided on how to proceed with upgrading my laptop. I've narrowed down to following combinations:

Upgrade 1:

Upgrade 2:

Upgrade 3:

It'd be great if you guys could chip in with your suggestions and expertise. :wub: .

If you have a dedicated GPU in your system, you won't gonna need more than 6 GB of RAM as far as a laptop is concerned. What kind of tasks are you gonna do in your laptop that might need 16 GB of RAM? Check you RAM usage under heavy load - is it overloaded? For instance, connect to the Internet and open couple of tabs and load them, watch a video online, convert a movie format, run photoshop. Is your RAM overloading now? If not then no need to add more RAM as it will gonna sit useless.

I would go with a 512 GB SSD as far as a laptop is concerned as you can't put two internal drive in your laptop at the same time. Be wise and don't spent $ just to show off a system having 16 gigs of RAM.

Upgrade 1:

Upgrade 2:

Upgrade 3:

If you have a dedicated GPU in your system, you won't gonna need more than 6 GB of RAM as far as a laptop is concerned. What kind of tasks are you gonna do in your laptop that might need 16 GB of RAM? Check you RAM usage under heavy load - is it overloaded? For instance, connect to the Internet and open couple of tabs and load them, watch a video online, convert a movie format, run photoshop. Is your RAM overloading now? If not then no need to add more RAM as it will gonna sit useless.

I would go with a 512 GB SSD as far as a laptop is concerned as you can't put two internal drive in your laptop at the same time. Be wise and don't spent $ just to show off a system having 16 gigs of RAM.

I just bought Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB. I'll see how it goes without the RAM upgrade.

Thank you so much everyone.

I just bought Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB. I'll see how it goes without the RAM upgrade.

Thank you so much everyone.

Congrats for your upgradation kit. Performance improvement will be immense I gaurantee. I first changed SSD in my desktop 3.5 years ago. Now all my PC (including laptops) are equipped with SSD as main boot drive. Personally, I found Windows 10 is best optimzed for SSD, better than Windows 7 & Windows 8.1.

PS. Extra RAM (16 GB, 32 GB etc) will be only beneficial if you are invoved with high definition video encoding (H264, H265) job. But that also have to be coupled with Very Powerful Processors. Laptop's precessor are not good/or made for that job.

u hv not bad RAM already,with SSD u'll see difference,believe me ;)

btw.why u need so much of RAM,your GPU is... not really so? (just curiosity)

Extra RAM (16 GB, 32 GB etc) will be only beneficial if you are invoved with high definition video encoding (H264, H265) job.

agree.

Laptop's precessor are not good/or made for that job.

totally disagree,but it's damn expensive &...this is another story though.

BTW, rule of thumb is to install Windows freshly in SSD so that, the optimized filesystem can be created during this installation. Deploy from previously made image will not have this advantage. Consequently, you might distracted that, SSD is not worth for your laptop.

[Deleted irrelevant discussion by me] :)

Israeli_Eagle

@ gipsy. Take a look results from speccy

LTe5iCU.png

Need your help with Maximum Bandwidth. If I cannot find RAM with 800 Mhz should I put a 1600 Mhz or not :huh:

You have already 1600 MHz, but the base frequency is 800 MHz. DDR means Double Data Rate and doubles the clock!

But single channel is never a good idea, half speed. Double channel (128 Bit) only works of course with identical DIMMs.

Single Channel = 64 Bit means speed PC3-12800 MB/s

Dual Channel = 128 Bit means speed PC3-25600 MB/s !!!

Also lower CAS Latency is useful, for example 800 MHz (DDR 1600 MHz) and CL 8. B)

8vapO2O.jpg

@ Israeli Eagle. Did some reading. A RAM works in a range i.e from base frequency to top frequency.

I want to ask you some things.

1. Can I change my CL value by BIOS or overclocking it. I have read lower the CL fast is the RAM. As you suggested

CL should be 8 and mine is 11

2. If a buy a similar DIMM will it make my Peak transfer Rate = 25600 MB/s and my current is 12800 MB/s.

How to find if the two DIMMs are same. By having same Manufacturer, Max Bandwidth and Part No. or something else too ??

3. Can I change my timings or is it automatically adjusted. I have 11-11-11 ( CL-tRCD-tRP )

4. What is the difference between NB Frequency and DRAM Frequency.

A1QQwQL.png

Israeli_Eagle

@ Israeli Eagle. Did some reading. A RAM works in a range i.e from base frequency to top frequency.

I want to ask you some things.

1. Can I change my CL value by BIOS or overclocking it. I have read lower the CL fast is the RAM. As you suggested

CL should be 8 and mine is 11

2. If a buy a similar DIMM will it make my Peak transfer Rate = 25600 MB/s and my current is 12800 MB/s.

How to find if the two DIMMs are same. By having same Manufacturer, Max Bandwidth and Part No.

3. Can I change my timings or is it automatically adjusted. I have 11-11-11 ( CL-tRCD-tRP )

4. What is the difference between NB Frequency and DRAM Frequency.

A1QQwQL.png

1. Yes, but you also have to use the right slots (I saw you have 4 slots). Most motherboards use 1+3 and 2+4, but not all. So check in your motherboard & BIOS manual. Or simply test, you will see in CPU-Z anyway whether Dual mode or not. And again: Will only work if you use totally identical DIMMs!

2. Have a look in this page for example:

jnedfuu.jpg

At moment you use the JEDEC standard, but most good DIMMs have XMP as well and that is usually the maximum. You can set in BIOS.

3. You have now already 12800 MB/s, but you could have 25600 MB/s as Dual.

4. [...]

5. NB Frequencies are very different with CPUs & Chipsets, don't think about that too much. ;)

@ Israeli_Eagle. Thanks. But have to ask. I have 2 slots in my Laptop but in cpuz and speccy it shows 4. Whats this??

If I put DIMM in oher slot available and if does not show dual in cpuz so what should I do

You did not clarify how to recognise two DIMMs are same or not. (Sorry for being a noob)

I think my RAM does not support XMP

Csx7L6A.png

Israeli_Eagle

@ Israeli_Eagle. Thanks. But have to ask. I have 2 slots in my Laptop but in cpuz and speccy it shows 4. Whats this??

If I put DIMM in oher slot available and if does not show dual in cpuz so what should I do

You did not clarify how to recognise two DIMMs are same or not. (Sorry for being a noob)

Csx7L6A.png

So I guess the 4 slots are a Speccy bug. B)

You said that you have 2 slots so it would work for sure if 2 identical DIMMs. The reason is that the system joins then two DIMMs to one bank and doubles the bus, but can also only have one timing settings (ALL timings, not only the basics!) and actually also ganged.

Your RAM is a standard Samsung DIMM (only JEDEC), so if you want to upgrade for example with a better CL and dual you have to buy 2 new DIMMs and take out the old one.

Csx7L6A.png

You said that you have 2 slots so it would work for sure if 2 identical DIMMs. The reason is that the system joins then two DIMMs to one bank and doubles the bus, but can also only have one timing settings (ALL timings, not only the basics!) and actually also ganged.

Your RAM is a standard Samsung DIMM (only JEDEC), so if you want to upgrade for example with a better CL and dual you have to buy 2 new DIMMs and take out the old one.

I want to run a virtual machine which I will use for penetration testing. So having a higher RAM would be good.

Will having a RAM with lower CL and supporting XMP improve processing performance. Which brand is best. Kingston,Cosair,

Samsung etc......

Also would try to use a SSD in the near future. The current HDD would then serve as backup.

Whats your suggestion

Israeli_Eagle

Csx7L6A.png

I want to run a virtual machine which I will use for penetration testing. So having a higher RAM would be good.

Will having a RAM with lower CL and supporting XMP improve processing performance. Which brand is best. Kingston,Cosair,

Samsung etc......

Also would try to use a SSD in the near future. The current HDD would then serve as backup.

Whats your suggestion

For RAM: G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair and Kingston are the best usually. But I would not suggest Samsung.

A relevant information:

Though it seems dual channel memory operation may widen the data transfer bus twofold, in real life, only 10% improvement is found. Google "dual channel memory myth" for details and many.

But, its always beneficial to use Dual Channel operation than Single Channel. 10% increase in performance is worth counting.

Israeli_Eagle

A relevant information:

Though it seems dual channel memory operation may widen the data transfer bus twofold, in real life, only 10% improvement is found. Google "dual channel memory myth" for details and many.

The reason is that also other parts of a computer are often much slower. But with really strong hardware (no mobile stuff!) you see the full improvements. B)

The reason is that also other parts of a computer are often much slower. But with really strong hardware (no mobile stuff!) you see the full improvements. B)

Tests performed on some High end system. Both Synthetic & Real Life software benchmark were done. Test results compared to single channel is summarised below.

WinRAR compression: 2.87% faster

Handbrake (video transcoding): 4.4% less transcode tome

Shogun 2: 0.78% faster in loading & 0.21% more FPS

Cinebench OpenGL performance: 0.25% higher advantage

Adobe Premier: 3.01% less encoding time

Adobe After-effects frame-rate performance: 6%

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel

Sythentic benchmark will show substantial improvement than the real life one; around 17~18% improvement. This is of no real importance in practical use.

BTW, I'm stll looking for 2fold performance result in the entire internet. But, nobody have proved that yet. ;)

But single channel is never a good idea, half speed. Double channel (128 Bit) only works of course with identical DIMMs.

Wheras Single channel doesnot mean the half speed, Dual channel also is not anything twice the speed. :)

Israeli_Eagle

Tests performed on some High end system. Both Sythetic & Real Life software benchmark were done. Test results compared to single channel is summarised below.

WinRAR compression: 2.87% faster

Handbrake (video transcoding): 4.4% less transcode tome

Shogun 2: 0.78% faster in loading & 0.21% more FPS

Cinebench OpenGL performance: 0.25% higher advantage

Adobe Premier: 3.01% less encoding time

Adobe After-effects frame-rate performance: 6%

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel

Sythentic benchmark will show substantial improvement than the real life one; around 17~18% improvement. This is of no real importance in practical use.

BTW, I'm stll looking for 2fold performance result in the entire internet. But, nobody have proved that yet. ;)

Wheras Single channel doesnot mean the half speed, Dual channel also is not anything twice the speed. :)

Stupid benchmarks, sorry! Because you test hundreds things, but the part RAM only probably 1%. So... Useless and stupid. But here we talk only about RAM speed!

Here for example you can also see the differences of Dual and Quad etc, CPU and RAM together make sense. B)

TAbNiGu.jpg

So partly I agree, there are complex systems. But the weakest parts of mobile hardwares are CPU (low clocks and no cooling, so goes down when warm), not enough power (mostly battery), most often no real GPU and so on... He cannot get miracles by RAM of course.

Those Synthetic benchmarks (shown in AiDA64, Sisoft Sandra) are themselves BS. Based on "Memory Read" "Memory Write" program function of AIDA64? Simply BS; cause, at the end this is of no use but you are gonna use the RAM for Gaming, Video/image processing, file achieving etc. real life thing, so the performance is to be measured on these. Reading/Writing some chunk of data from/off to RAM simply won't show any useful information for real life. You may find many many Real life/Synthetic benchmark in internet & have the proof. The Experiment done by discrete people are much worthier than these reference data.

However, I'm not gonna stretching the post with off-topic thing anymore. Bye.

Archived