Laptop RAM Upgrade

Tweety.Abd

Hi guys.

I'm planning to upgrade my laptop's RAM to 16 GB. I'm not sure what RAM sticks to purchase for my upgrade and whether or not it will be supported by my laptop. I'm planning to upgrade to Samsung EVO SSD 250 along with my RAM upgrade as well.

My computer specs:

CPU-Z (imgur hosted)

RAMs I'm considering (Amazon Links)

I'd be very grateful if you guys could help me out in picking the best RAM that would work on my laptop.

Thanks!

Just to sum up all the discussion in the thread:

- Upgrade your laptop BIOS before any hardware upgrade (if applicable)

- DDR3L (1.35v) modules will work in DDR3 (1.5v) slots and conversely.

- Do not mix RAM modules of different voltage. If you're going to install 1.35v stick, you have to remove your 1.5v stick.

- Preferably, use two sticks of same RAM speed and latency for greater stability.

- Use two sticks instead of one. If you're going to upgrade to 8 GB, go for 2x 4 GB sticks rather than single 8 GB for greater performance through dual channel mode.

- 8 GB RAM is standard and you won't need more than that unless you're going to be using 3D modeling/rendering, video encoding/editing, and using Adobe applications.

Credits: gipsy, hawk007, rudrax

• Replies 49
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hv this ram,great one imo ,price about 110 bucks here.

Kingston SODIMM DDR3L-1600 16384MB PC3-12800 (Kit of 2x8192MB)

record_168579992.jpg

Difficult to make suggestion on RAM upgradation not knowing the Laptop model. Cause, some laptops with the same chipset (Mobile intel HM76 Express) don't allow more than 8GB, some limits to 12 GB. Just seen a fujitsu laptop specs., where 8GB*2 is supported. So you may chack your manufacturers website about the ram upgradation issue against model number.

Also let us know your Laptop's model number to have information from different tech blogs. Before selecting/buying new RAM, this is the most important thing.

Fujitsu with HM76

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/www/content/products/notebooks/notebooks.php?products/notebooks/tech_specs/ah532_ts

Fujitsu with HM76

it's Lenovo,almost sure is G580/780.

I know that, it's lenevo, but giving him a reference. Its not chipset always to determine the maximum RAM capability. Laptop's motherboard also plays a role here. So asking him his exact model number.

Fujitsu with HM76

it's Lenovo,almost sure is G580/780.

I know that, it's lenevo, but giving him a reference. Its not chipset always to determine the maximum RAM capability. Laptop's motherboard also plays a role here. So asking him his exact model number.

easiest way to check in BIOS/UEFI mobo's name. ;)

btw.not mobo only,CPU also,mine is 3612qm (16 Gb-easy) .

Well, I searched your Laptop's model by BISO version Lenovo BIOS 5ECN95WW(v9.00) and seems to Lenovo G580.

Here is a snap from the datasheet:

8sRpKdR.png

Link for Datasheet:

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/emea/content/pdf/Essential/GSeries/en/essential-g580-datasheet.pdf

on screenshot- 635M but not 630m. it could be any model(even ThinkPad but not IdeaPad),g 580 is just my guess so rightest way is wait topic starter's answer.

4 z case

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Maximum-Number-of-RAM-Slots-Lenovo-G580/td-p/899617

mnmoh72g07uf.jpg

I forgot to mention the laptop model, its Lenovo G580 20150.

Corsair sticks are good.

Will they be compatible with my laptop? That's what I need to know before upgrading.

Corsair sticks are good.

Will they be compatible with my laptop? That's what I need to know before upgrading.

The corsair one you have posted matches the specification of your current RAM sticks in the laptop. As far as I know this shouldn't create any compatibility issue as long as your OEM restrics any upgrade.

Corsair sticks are good.

The corsair one you have posted matches the specification of your current RAM sticks in the laptop. As far as I know this shouldn't create any compatibility issue as long as your OEM restrics any upgrade.

Is there any way of finding out whether the RAM upgrade is restricted by OEM?

If you go to Crucial Memory web site you can use their scanner. It will scan your system and then tell you how much and what type of memory your laptop will take.

You can buy from there but you don't have to.

If you go to Crucial's site and use their memory upgrade app it will show you exactly which memory they sell for your system. I swear by Crucial memory, I have never had nor seen a memory stick from them fail.

If you go to Crucial Memory web site you can use their scanner. It will scan your system and then tell you how much and what type of memory your laptop will take.

You can buy from there but you don't have to.

If you go to Crucial's site and use their memory upgrade app it will show you exactly which memory they sell for your system. I swear by Crucial memory, I have never had nor seen a memory stick from them fail.

I've tried it out before I posted here, but I wanted to know whether the Corsair or G.Skill sticks will be compatible with my laptop. I believe Crucial is compatible (as detected by their tool).

Corsair sticks are good.

In that case, the best idea would be to send an email to lenovo support writing you laptop model and the the RAM stick link that you wanna upgrade.

Check this link. Hope, this will solve your problem.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/lenovo-g580

But I'm recommending not to upgrade the RAM thing in this old model laptop. Installed 6GB is enough, since you have dedicaded VRAM with the GPU. Don't know, what the performance boost you will get upgrading this; rather it will stress the battery further.

But, upgrade to SSD is obviously a good move. The prices of SSD is reduced significantly. So, get yourself a 512 GB SSD rather than RAM upgrade, IMO.

Corsair sticks are good.

In that case, the best idea would be to send an email to lenovo support writing you laptop model and the the RAM stick link that you wanna upgrade.

I was searching through Lenovo forums and someone else had similar question. Lenovo G580 will support up to 8 GB per module (16 in total). So I'm good on that. Now what I want to know is, whether there's a difference between DDR3 and DDR3L - I'm consider DDR3L because of its low voltage but then I'm not sure if it will be compatible.

I would also like to have your input on what hawk007 has said about RAM upgrade. What do you think?

Check this link. Hope, this will solve your problem.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/lenovo-g580

But I'm recommending not to upgrade the RAM thing in this old model laptop. Installed 6GB is enough, since you have dedicaded VRAM with the GPU. Don't know, what the performance boost you will get upgrading this; rather it will stress the battery further.

But, upgrade to SSD is obviously a good move. The prices of SSD is reduced significantly. So, get yourself a 512 GB SSD rather than RAM upgrade, IMO.

It's good that you brought it up. I'll look in to it and I'll see what others have to say about this as well - thanks. :wub:

Corsair sticks are good.

I was searching through Lenovo forums and someone else had similar question. Lenovo G580 will support up to 8 GB per module (16 in total). So I'm good on that. Now what I want to know is, whether there's a difference between DDR3 and DDR3L - I'm consider DDR3L because of its low voltage but then I'm not sure if it will be compatible.

DDR3L is backward compliant with DDR3. Yet a BIOS upgrade is recommended (if available) before you replace the hardwares.

DDR3L is backward compliant with DDR3. Yet a BIOS upgrade is recommended (if available) before you replace the hardwares.

very useful advice.

last BIOS version is 9.01

download

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/5ecn96ww.exe

source

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g580-notebook/20150?TabName

plbrl1fqx4e2.jpg

very useful advice.

last BIOS version is 9.01

download

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/5ecn96ww.exe

source

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g580-notebook/20150?TabName

plbrl1fqx4e2.jpg

Thank you so much for digging this up for me. For some weird reasons, I could never find the BIOS upgrade. Thanks! :wub:

Thank you so much for digging this up for me. For some weird reasons, I could never find the BIOS upgrade. Thanks!

u r welcome bro.

Thank you so much for digging this up for me. For some weird reasons, I could never find the BIOS upgrade. Thanks!

u r welcome bro.

@ gipsy. should I upgrade my ram on a core i3 4010U processor at 1.70 Ghz. Currently have 4 gb of RAM. Have searched and also tested with crucial's website. It can support up to 16 Gb RAM.

u r welcome bro.

@ gipsy. should I upgrade my ram on a core i3 4010U processor at 1.70 Ghz. Currently have 4 gb of RAM. Have searched and also tested woth crucial's website. It can support up to 16 Gb RAM.

should u? dunno :D

ok,let's be serious.how u usin' your 64 bit's system with 4Gb of RAM ? it does make sense from 6 Gb only,16 Gb u will be need for gaming or video decoding mostly,if it's not yours-do not waste your money.Just buy 4 Gb of same kind of RAM what been installed in your laptop ( dual memory)-meant same vendor ,frequency etc.

sure it will be quite enough 4 ya.

u can open your lappy or use this tool to know what kind of RAM preinstalled.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

pro keys here

http://pastebin.com/L6Sqw7mt

Archived