Microsoft Might Drop Windows Phone, Will Adopt Android OS Instead - Report

Karamjit

The company is reconsidering its relation with Google

It looks like Microsoft's Windows Phone business is losing more money than anyone would have expected. We can't imagine other reason for which the Redmond-based company would consider moving away from Windows Phone and start pushing Android devices instead.

But that is a point of view offered by Microsoft leaker @MSFTNerd who just tweeted some interesting tidbits of info that suggest a real earthquake for Microsoft's mobile business.

Apparently Satya Nadella is about to decide whether or not Microsoft will continue investing in Windows Phone handsets and small tablets.

If the company decides to drop Windows Phone, then it will continue to bundle its services on Android smartphones and tablets.

Microsoft might also push its own Android smartphones and tablets on the market, which will also contain some of the most important mobile apps and services offered by the Redmond-based company.

The future might not be so bright for Windows Phone

In return, Google will offer some of its “first-class” services on Windows such as Maps, YouTube and Search, @MSFTNerd claims.

Moreover, Microsoft is said to consider changing its relationship with Google in the matters of location services, as well as video on Windows and ads.

The last part proved to be accurate, as Microsoft has just announced that it has unloaded its display ad business, which has been bought by AOL and AppNexus. The move will also result in the loss of 1,200 jobs among Microsoft employees.

Following the agreement between Microsoft, AOL and AppNexus, the Redmond-based has officially stopped being a meaningful competitor for Google in the display ad business.

Still, dropping the Windows Phone in favor of Android would be a much harder decision for Microsoft, especially that the company is now readying for the Windows 10 Mobile launch and at least a few high-end smartphones.

It looks like the next couple of months will be decisive for Microsoft's mobile business, as the company can't afford to continue to bleed money

Source

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the company decides to drop Windows Phone, then it will continue to bundle its services on Android smartphones and tablets.

If that happens, Microsoft would be shifting Nokia from the boiling kettle right into the fire! :pope:

So they realize that WP sucks ?

I disagree. I've had most phone OSes during my time and I prefer Windows phone to all the others.

They have dropped Windows Phone already. They are now developing "Windows 10 for Mobile" and apps will be universal across systems like Desktop, tablet, phone and console etc.

Microsoft will not drop Windows in favour of Android, at least not on their Microsoft branded devices anyway.

Windows Phone and Windows Mobile are the same :shit: with a different smell

so many lagroid lovers

so if they want to drop Lumia, whats the point bought it in the first place? -_-

Are you referring to Windows Mobile as in their original Mobile OS before Windows Phone was released or are y9u referring to Windows 10 Mobile?

Either way you're wrong.

so many lagroid lovers

Lagroid? lol, singing an old/outdated ignorant iCrap fanbouy tune I see!

so many lagroid lovers

Lagroid? lol, singing an old/outdated ignorant iCrap fanbouy tune I see!

i found the WP is the best in class high security zero vulnerability

Are you referring to Windows Mobile as in their original Mobile OS before Windows Phone was released or are y9u referring to Windows 10 Mobile?

Either way you're wrong.

both them

Misaki2010

Are you guys on DRUGS or what!!!! Stop posting sh*t from Softpedia, they're IDIOTS, they don't know what they're talking!!!

There's no such thing zero vulnerability

Iphone and android are much prone to vulnerabilities

wp = 0

till today's date

wp = 0

till today's date

Since about 12 people worldwide use it, hackers can't be bothered to exploit it.

Either way you're wrong.

both them

You're talking our of your ring piece and simply do not have a clue. Windows Mobile and Windows Phone are two completely different operating systems. So no, they're not the same.

wp = 0

till today's date

Since about 12 people worldwide use it, hackers can't be bothered to exploit it.

why dont u use lagroid on your pc :P

JessicaLeigh

If that happens, Microsoft would be shifting Nokia from the boiling kettle right into the fire! :pope:

And my 15 year old daughter would be devastated. She loves her Nokia Windows phone. I've been trying to coax her back to Android for three years now. I think mommy knows best, lol :)

Archived