Experts claim SSD's to out-price HDD's in 2016 and beyond!

exitrade

Flash drives are said to catch up to HDD pricing as soon as 2016 - however the larger sizes drives may take some time

According to a publication by Wikibon, "Flash will become a lower cost media than disk for almost all storage in 2016." This will mark a new era in today's digital age - seeing faster storage capacities become mainstream.

42280_023_experts-claim-ssds-price-hdds-

Do you remember when you first installed your SSD? Something under 25 seconds to completely re-boot your system was simply unheard of in HDD-only days, seeing you often click that restart button and adventure out to the kitchen to grab a drink or a snack. Well now according to Wikibon, we're only a couple of years off seeing flash memory price-match or even become cheaper than hard disk technology for always-on enterprise applications.

The main limitation of flash memory in this day and age is the price per GB on offer. For sub-$100 you can now easily purchase a 2TB data drive to store all of your photos, home videos and various backup data - this is compared to a hefty price tag of $3,301 for a comparable SSD offering from SanDisk.

Given this information, don't expect 4TB SSD's to be running off the shelves any time soon for the client segment, even though large volumes are in huge demand in the datacenter. However, if you're looking for a handy 1TB C-drive, the faster alternative for consumers continues to drop in price.

This article also covers the facts about hard disk improvements and if they ever have the chance to closely match or somewhat catch up to flash technology. It's claimed that "Seagate introduced flash as a buffer on each disk as an alternative approach. However, the uptake of this technology has been paltry for two main reasons:

1. Buffers are a partial solution, not nearly as good to (say) a PC end-user as all-flash storage as Apple has shown with the success of the all-flash "Air" products.
  2. Separate buffers on each disk is a sub-optimum way of designing buffers, both for IO average latency and more important IO latency variance (jitter)"

The short of this story is that by 2016, technology will have advanced far enough that you might start looking into flash-storage architecture for all of your datacenter storage needs and leaving the old HDDs on the shelf.

Source

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when Large drives i.e. the 3 / 4 tera drives are sensibly priced I will be getting them less heat quieter get more in a smaller box mind you will need motherboards that have more than 8 SATA connections

All fine and hopefully true, but SATA SSD's will quickly be antiques with the newer faster & more durable drives that already have bussing and connectors on many newer motherboards. Why settle for 550mb/s when you can have 2000 & 4000 mb/s.

Is it true SSD has lifespan shorter than HDD ? :unsure:

if it were true why the F**K would Samsung offer a ten year warranty on their Pro range ?? it would be financial suicide.

sorry I am not being rude but that is probably the most ridiculous comment I have read today and probably this year (bearing in mind for me it ends in approximately 6 hours 45 minutes)

No, no moving parts means less crap to choke.

Also they tend to degrade slowly instead of go straight to hell like the HDDs I've had fail.

Mind you I will say you get what you pay for IMHO I wont buy any other make but Samsung

Never had any HDD pack up. My current 1TB is going on 7 years - but I have older drives (80gb & 160gb) that were running for 5 or so years before this and they are still running in my old PC - that's like 13 years (but it is likely more). But everything does pack up eventually.

Anyways, I am actually due to buy an SSD like tomorrow or something (simply for faster boot up). So I'll have a 500gb SSD (soon) plus then my 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracudas.

Looking at the Samsung 500GB 840 Evo. Pro is too expensive, and the EVO I can get at a reasonable price (if they have stock).

• Administrator

@The Owl / CODYQX4: What about the read and write cycles of SSDs. Are they less than HDDs. Or are they so high that they do not really matter.

In addition to that, there is little info on which company and model is better. Like, in HDDs, you know it's either WD Blue / Black or Seagate's drives. But in SSDs, which brand model would you trust. There are so many, Intel, Corsair, OSZ, Samsung, then, each of them having their own models, benefits and uses. Someone like me who has no idea what to look into an SSD before deciding it, would always come up these questions.

if it were true why the F**K would Samsung offer a ten year warranty on their Pro range ?? it would be financial suicide.

sorry I am not being rude but that is probably the most ridiculous comment I have read today and probably this year (bearing in mind for me it ends in approximately 6 hours 45 minutes)

But you are talking about Samsung SDDs Pro range which are too expensive <_<

I was speaking about classic/middle-range class of SDD, it will be real versus to HDD (lifespan issue) ?

But you are talking about Samsung SDDs Pro range which are too expensive <_<

I was speaking about classic/middle-range class of SDD, it will be real versus to HDD (lifespan issue) ?

You get what you pay for, very old adage Buy Cheap Buy twice seriously BUY SAMSUNG PRO I have three in three different machines and one of them is a 830 Pro that's one of the first to hit the market and its still fast.

DO YOUR RESEARCH they are the best

I will make one other comment I have been building computers probably longer than you have been alive, I have technically retired but still for one or two customers build the odd machine I wont build cheap and cheerful and for that reason I have a extremely good reputation locally i.e. people pay for my expertise I have couriered machines internationally (and people could probably buy cheaper locally) but they don't they buy mine because when I say I have built a good machine it is.

Last word on SSD's BUY SAMSUNG anything else is ultimately a waste of time and money.

@The Owl / CODYQX4: What about the read and write cycles of SSDs. Are they less than HDDs. Or are they so high that they do not really matter.

In addition to that, there is little info on which company and model is better. Like, in HDDs, you know it's either WD Blue / Black or Seagate's drives. But in SSDs, which brand model would you trust. There are so many, Intel, Corsair, OSZ, Samsung, then, each of them having their own models, benefits and uses. Someone like me who has no idea what to look into an SSD before deciding it, would always come up these questions.

They've said for a long time that too many writes eventually degrade, to the point people still avoid writing to their disk, but things have improved a lot to the point I wouldn't worry about it. This probably was a big enough issue on early SSDs for it to stick in people's minds.

I have a 1 TB SSD and I don't think twice about blasting it with restores, VMs, backups, etc. I'm sure I'll want a new PC by the time the SSD in it goes to hell.

If Samsung can 10 Year warranty an SSD (I've never heard of a HDD exceeding 3-5 years), than obviously they feel very confident that they'll crap out slower and less frequently than HDD.

They've said for a long time that too many writes eventually degrade, to the point people still avoid writing to their disk, but things have improved a lot to the point I wouldn't worry about it. This probably was a big enough issue on early SSDs for it to stick in people's minds.

I have a 1 TB SSD and I don't think twice about blasting it with restores, VMs, backups, etc. I'm sure I'll want a new PC by the time the SSD in it goes to hell.

If Samsung can 10 Year warranty an SSD (I've never heard of a HDD exceeding 3-5 years), than obviously they feel very confident that they'll crap out slower and less frequently than HDD.

I have LOTS of Samsung Spinrites from when they first came out still running which if memory serves was somewhere back around 07 so that is seven years!! secret is they do not get turned off and on much the ones in my "Store" run 24 x 7 x 52 the ones in this machine get turned on in the morning and stay on for about 18 hours

I will make one other comment I have been building computers probably longer than you have been alive, I have technically retired but still for one or two customers build the odd machine I wont build cheap and cheerful and for that reason I have a extremely good reputation locally i.e. people pay for my expertise I have couriered machines internationally (and people could probably buy cheaper locally) but they don't they buy mine because when I say I have built a good machine it is.

Last word on SSD's BUY SAMSUNG anything else is ultimately a waste of time and money.

Solid brand, but Intel's also worth considering if you can find one @ the right price. Otherwise, there's not a lot of difference in the specs/reliablity in the 'pack.' With AMD entering the field in a significant way I think the anticipated price drop will come soon. Even if not, it's worth the extra $50 to delay obselence and save battery life as well as the ruggedness they offer.

But the Graph shows the price of Flash Drives equaling that of Hard Drives only by 2023 not 2016?!

Or is it just me?

so you have a 128 or 256 for your C drive and then another old technology mechanical drive for storage. look in the spec's post / topic and that is what you will find 99% of those who have a SSD for a C Drive do

MidnightDistortions

This is cool. As for SSD's degrading.. it's no different from when a hard drive gives out and sometimes the older ones have trouble reading/writing. I have encountered a few that are doing this, they work and show healthy but it might have to do with the age.

Archived