'Terrifying' new app Beam Messenger lets users see text messages as they're being typed

mlauzon

I was browsing the neolose forums and I came across this article that was posted in Back Page News, very interesting, thinking of getting it myself, but don't know if anyone that I know would want to use it. There is reference to twitter in the article, but you'll have to go to the source of the article to see the twitter postings:

anigif_longform-original-19344-141581749

If you're the kind of person who likes to edit text messages (or regularly scrolls back to delete any part of what you've said before pressing "send,") Beam Messenger is not for you.

Released Thursday by Toronto's Propulsion Lab, Beam is an Android messaging app that purports to help users "experience the nuances of having a conversation in real time" and "engage with people in a truly unique way, for free!"

Unlike traditional texting apps, Beam shows both participants in a conversation what the other party is writing AS THEY WRITE IT. Every character, every deleted character, every single pause, in real time. Right there in the palm of your hand.

"Beam Messenger is a first of its kind True Real Time communications app," reads the company's website. "It allows for instant typing and transmission of text. Erase messages in real time or interrupt your friend to say 'you've heard the story before'!"

beam.jpg

Promising its users "the closest you will get to having a verbal conversation in a messaging app," Beam's developers point out that the app can be quite useful for those with privacy concerns.

According to its Google Play download page, nothing is ever truly stored within Beam Messenger. The dymanic nature of real time conversations within the app mean that no single message is ever "delivered" to a person's phone — just organized on their screen.

For this reason, says Beam, "the messages are inherently secure."

Calling the app "terrifyingly transparent," Buzzfeed's Joseph Berstein writes "people already go crazy staring at the standard 'now typing' ellipsis. Imagine Beam in the hands of people after a first date! Or worried parents! Or drunks!"

Many on Twitter are equally wary of having their friends watch them type out texts.

What are your thoughts on real time text messaging? Too transparent for comfort, or do you like the quick convenience and enhanced security Beam provides? Weigh in below.

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ballistic Gelatin

Well, labeling the app as 'terrifying' is overdoing it a bit. 'Intimidating" might be a more apt description of its core function.

At least it forces you to think twice before hitting a certain sequence of characters on your keyboard...sort of akin to putting your brain 'in gear' before speaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived