Firefox users, get ready for ads in your browser

Matsuda

So is there an actual way to disable this? Simply using a blank tab page or a different speed-dialer won't prevent it from collecting your browsing history. I assume it's still being collected for when/if a person chooses to enable "Enhanced Tiles".

• Replies 57
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is there an actual way to disable this? Simply using a blank tab page or a different speed-dialer won't prevent it from collecting your browsing history. I assume it's still being collected for when/if a person chooses to enable "Enhanced Tiles".

How to get rid of Firefox's new ads on the New Tab page

Nov 14, 2014 10:21 PM

Brad Chacos

After months of teasing, tweaking, and controversy, Firefox's native ads have finally landed on the stable release's New Tab page--and just like we said when we saw the ads in Firefox's nightly preview builds, they're actually not so bad.

They're unobtrusive, clearly labeled, and only collect user information in "aggregate form, meaning no data is personally identifiable." And the ads reduce Mozilla's overwhelming reliance on Google--which definitely does collect personally identifiable data--for revenue, which is nothing but a good thing for the future of the browser.

Even so, not everyone wants to see them. And continuing in Mozilla's pro-choice, pro-privacy tradition, Firefox makes it easy to disable the New Tab page ads.

Just open a new tab, then click the gear cog in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Three options appear in a drop-down menu: Enhanced, Classic, and Blank. The new ads will only appear if you're using the Enhanced option, which is enabled by default.

Selecting Classic will force the New Tab page to only display sites from your browsing history, while Blank is, well, a blank page. No aggregate data is collected once you disable the Enhanced tiles, either.

And that's it! Once you make that one, simple change, ads are gone forever from Firefox's New Tab page. But consider what you're doing before you flip the switch--Mozilla needs money to continue developing Firefox and fighting for the future of the open web, and the ads truly aren't much of an eyesore.

http://www.pcworld.in/news/how-get-rid-firefoxs-new-ads-new-tab-page

all you have do turn them off its pro choice :lol:

I NEVER bought anything because I saw a FORCED ad EVER.

ADVERTISING IS A SCAM. pure and simple.

having said that, Cyberfox and blank page on new tabs, and StartPage as default search & homepage

FUCK GOOGLE! AND FUCK CHROME! AND ALL YOU MORONS WHO TALK IT UP LIKE CHROME IS COOL.

If they actually fix the multi-threading issues i wouldn't mind on that at all, I always loved firefox since the beginning, they really deserve to receive something back, it's not like they are pushing tons of ads, or some virus like/malware stuff that will keep annoying u all the time.

What if you use Ad Blocker Plus? Its what I've been using for quite sometime and I've not seen all those pesky ads. I also think it helps when surfing to keep malware off your computer as it blocks many ad sites and some ad servers do bring in malware. So Ad Blocker Plus is a must for anyone who surfs the net often.

We’re very excited to have partnered with CVS Health (and Mindshare/GroupM) in the United States and Booking.com globally as our first two Firefox sponsored Tiles partners. We are live in 8 languages and 25 different countries*, and will continue to iterate with Mindshare/GroupM and Booking.com, as well as with our community, as we continue to improve on the experience.

We have been delighted to work with Mindshare/GroupM and Booking.com. When we collaborate, we need to understand the vision and objectives of the partner, and to understand if that partner is able to work within the framework of Mozilla’s principles. Running sponsored content in Tiles is results-based, not surveillance-based. We do not allow tracking beacons or code in Tiles. We are not collecting, or providing them with, the data about you that most digital ad networks do. There are certain categories that require screening or what’s commonly known as age-gating, or have other sensitivities, that we will stay away from, such as alcohol and pharmaceuticals.

https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingcontent/2014/11/13/announcing-firefox-tiles-going-live-today/

Where is the Mozilla documented proof of that?

Right here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/tiles/

Anything updates to do with there advertising can be found here.

https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingcontent/

Judging by your comment and signature, looks you're quite used to bloat.

AhHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa (font un-Firefoxed)

Amigaspace looks like from the comments you got schooled, so tuck your pale moon between your legs and leave.

EDIT:

FYI, you can hide a single members sd or all sgs n yur settings. attacking someones sig just because you fdon't have a valid point to make is just childish.

Already left the thread and offered to answer via PM, but you were too busy with your idiotic insults to notice. I didn't attack anyone (calling me childish is funny, re-read your "ahah" comment), I politely offered extra information for people looking for a better browser and that's it. Your signature is obtrusive whether it can be disabled or not, I'm sure most would agree. The content is fine, the signature itself is horrible and disrespectful of other users.

As for schooling, I'm a proud ex-Firefox user and have no interest to persuade anyone to change. But additional information and choices are always good and useful in all fields of life. You are the one who seems to be stuck, taking whatever Mozilla and Google are throwing at you. So give it a rest and have a more open mind.

Amigaspace looks like from the comments you got schooled, so tuck your pale moon between your legs and leave.

EDIT:

FYI, you can hide a single members sd or all sgs n yur settings. attacking someones sig just because you fdon't have a valid point to make is just childish.

1. I want Firefox for my phone...

2. All I have to say here is that I am glad they are not hardcoded into the UI... even at that you can use Stylish to get rid of those... and there is always a way to get to these things. I think that since Mozilla ramped up releases and the code is changing so quickly; it is harder for devs to keep up with some changes and to be able to even keep some extensions up to date... They get to one change and then another one hits them that their particular extension uses... so I would be willing to bet it is in play...

Me for example I use a very minimal UI in FF theming.. I even autohide everything in the Ui and use keys to activae when needed... even that to some extent has been a hard thing to do and keep the desired appearance.. because of the rapid rate of releases... my theme I was using with it.. the same story.. and it was the only one like it.... I hoped for a better UI.. a long time ago but the design seems to just stay the same... especially the 'Chrome' look or aspect...

ANyway... :P but yeah it will come if not now soon...

Did anyone try to not just delete these?

I've pinned my 9 most visited new pages to the new tab tab.

Hopefully Mozilla, "the (self-described) champions of users' rights", "the (self-described) defenders of the web", (and the blockers of Facebook users whose comments they don't like) won't overwrite any of them with ads.

Shouldn't we be praying for the 58% of old people unfortunate enough to be using internet explorer?

No. There is no substitute for research. You need lab rats to even the curve. hehehe,

Theres a post somehwhere on Nsane where it says IE is the most popular browser...THATS SCARY!

Firefox + Adblock = No Ads.

All the extensions I have on my FF, and those tiles were still there. ABP+Disconnect+DoNotTrackMe+NoScript+RequestPolicy, still showed up upon updating my browsers.

MidnightDistortions

Long as the ads are not moving, posting stupid ridiculous ads like last.fm or facebook, (last.fm had some crazy buggy ads i ended up getting AdblockPlus) or taking up resources i don't really care. With that said long as i can turn them off because they are annoying either way.

Once they go live with this feature, one of us shall be publishing the IPs to be blocked, too. ^_^

this feature is already live and very much in motion :yes:

you can start the procedure :cheers:

Oh, is it - have always been using the about:blank config. on my new tab and hence did not realize . . . . . . . . . . thanks for the heads up. RlW5CMh.gif
same here, noticed it only when this thread got started.

jh1iWfz.png

Have been trying my level-best to receive those advertisements for further actions - however, all I am seeing are blank tabs.

Perhaps, there are multiple preventive measure already in play - am running a very old profile. :dunno:

Also they use Snippets to harvest data like once every 30 days if you use there start page and there annoying Stylish has plugins that can hide them but dont remove them so still calls home.

How to really remove them .

If you prefer not to see snippets on the about:home page then you can set the browser.aboutHomeSnippets.updateUrl pref to an empty string on the about:config page. Delete the storage\moz-safe-about+home folder in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed (Firefox > Quit) to remove snippets stored in IndexedDB and make Firefox use a default set.

You can use this button to go to the currently used Firefox profile folder:

• Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder (Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder)

You can reset the browser.aboutHomeSnippets.updateUrl pref to the default value to re-enable the snippets.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1003917

This what my Firefox start page looks like and I have spinets Really Removed .

DguP4C8.png

Also If you dont like looking at that ugly white blank New Tab Page you can use New Tab Wallpapers ADD-ON

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/new-tab-wallpapers/?src=api

Here's an example

vKZYry8.jpg

Also they use Snippets to harvest data like once every 30 days if you use there start page and there annoying Stylish has plugins that can hide them but dont remove them so still calls home.

How to really remove them .

If you prefer not to see snippets on the about:home page then you can set the browser.aboutHomeSnippets.updateUrl pref to an empty string on the about:config page. Delete the storage\moz-safe-about+home folder in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed (Firefox > Quit) to remove snippets stored in IndexedDB and make Firefox use a default set.

You can use this button to go to the currently used Firefox profile folder:

• Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder (Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder)

You can reset the browser.aboutHomeSnippets.updateUrl pref to the default value to re-enable the snippets.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1003917

This what my Firefox start page looks like and I have spinets Really Removed .

DguP4C8.png

Also If you dont like looking at that ugly white blank New Tab Page you can use New Tab Wallpapers ADD-ON

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/new-tab-wallpapers/?src=api

Here's an example

vKZYry8.jpg

I'll be sure to do the snippets thing, but do you know what settings make the New Tab page as if you were a first time user? I've hit that X on everything so now I have nothing, and I want a blank slate to test against, but not a whole new profile.

I'll be sure to do the snippets thing, but do you know what settings make the New Tab page as if you were a first time user? I've hit that X on everything so now I have nothing, and I want a blank slate to test against, but not a whole new profile.

This would be hard to do because Firefox is set by default when you install it to show those ads . I never had noticed the ads tell someone said something because I always set mine to blank anyway. :)

If your that worried about them collecting data you could turn the internet off and install it and then set it up then turn your internet on. ;)

Archived