Firefox users, get ready for ads in your browser

Matsuda

myce_firefox_tiles.jpg
Mozilla, the nonprofit group that develops and updates the popular Internet browser, said Thursday that it will begin placing ads where thumbnails of your frequently visited websites would normally be found when you open a new tab.While many of those thumbnails, which Firefox calls "Enhanced Tiles," will remain as quick links to your favorite sites, some will feature sponsored logos or other promoted images.

The ads are a way for Mountain View, Calif.-based Mozilla to stay relevant at a time when more people are making use of Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Google's Chrome when browsing the Web.

Mozilla hopes the sponsored tiles will help influence powerful advertising groups while not compromising its nonprofit values. The ads also represent a potential new revenue stream for Mozilla, which gets most of its funding from Google through a deal in which it is the default search engine.

"We see this as a meaningful contributor to Mozilla's revenue," Darren Herman, vice president of content services for Mozilla and the man behind the tile ads, said in an interview. "We're using ourselves to demonstrate that it's possible to advertise at a scale nobody else can."

The initiative comes as Firefox continues to lose ground to its rivals. According to Net Applications, which measures individual users' daily Internet activity, IE is the top PC browser, with a 58 percent share, followed by Chrome at 21 percent and Firefox at 14 percent.

Mozilla plans to ramp up the ads over time, but even once that's in full swing, Herman said Mozilla will tread carefully with how it places those ads.

"We are only collecting minimal viable data" related to sponsored tiles, Herman said. Mozilla will collect a user's location but no more specific than the country the user is from, how many impressions the tile received, and how many times users pinned the tile to their New Tab page or removed it.

Among the first ads shown will be anti-tobacco messages and promotions for the new Edward Snowden biopic, "Citizenfour."

The ads shown to Firefox users will depend on how long the person has been using the browser. New users will be shown sponsored tiles for Mozilla sites and Mozilla's partners.

People who've used Firefox for longer than a month will be shown sponsored tiles based on browsing history. Those tiles could be customized screenshots or logos determined by the advertiser.

Firefox will provide users an option to disable the ads, by going into the gear icon in the upper right corner of the New Tab page, and clicking away from "Enhanced." The company said that the choice to bar ads won't affect the browsing experience.

Hjqhvtg.pngOriginal Article

• Replies 57
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

get around it by using another speed dial addon. i use fvd speed dial and love it. works with bookmarks between firefox, chrome, and ie. works with speed dials between chrome. saves both online so you never loose them.

All you have to do is go to customize your new tab page and set it to blank . I have Firefox set like that . In Goggle Chrome I installed and add-on that gives me a blank new page so i dont see nothing in new tabs no way . :)

Once they go live with this feature, one of us shall be publishing the IPs to be blocked, too. ^_^

this feature is already live and very much in motion :yes:

you can start the procedure :cheers:

Once they go live with this feature, one of us shall be publishing the IPs to be blocked, too. ^_^

Oh, is it - have always been using the about:blank config. on my new tab and hence did not realize . . . . . . . . . . thanks for the heads up. RlW5CMh.gif

Oh, is it - have always been using the about:blank config. on my new tab and hence did not realize . . . . . . . . . . thanks for the heads up. RlW5CMh.gif

same here, noticed it only when this thread got started.

jh1iWfz.png

You can go that route if you want but always Ghostery and ad blocker filters update to block the latest trackers I already have enough browser security already . Goggle has been doing this for quite awhile when ever you search they give you ads based on your search ad guard filters work really nice to remove these . :)

For along goggle and bing have been harvesting data and giving you ads based on your search even in your emails or any of there services for a good while . Firefox being mostly funded by goggle you knew it was a matter of time tell they started harvesting data as well . But most people just over look it because they dont care about there privacy . Maybe Cyberfox will remove this code completely . Palemoon will never add this code . Before long the only way to have privacy on the computer will be to turn the internet off completely . :lol:

Instead of endlessly tweaking and adding extensions to the already bloated Firefox (Australis, Google, data collection, ads etc.) to make it bearable, just switch to Pale Moon, the browser Firefox should have been.

Instead of endlessly tweaking and adding extensions to the already bloated Firefox (Australis, Google, data collection, ads etc.) to make it bearable, just switch to Pale Moon, the browser Firefox should have been.

AhHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Users of Tab Mix Plus (TMP) might want to check out the following option:--

UeOnDZ9.png

i have fvd speed dial and google set as my startup tabs in tmp

Judging by your comment and signature, looks you're quite used to bloat.

AhHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa (font un-Firefoxed)

I just tested palemoon latest version serious add-on breakage here using the same profile i have in Firefox . So i want be using Palemoon ;)

It's not that simple since Firefox changed very much and they are becoming two significantly different browsers. Check here, there are solutions for most add-ons. If you know the root of the problem, you'll see it's not really a problem.

I just tested palemoon latest version serious add-on breakage here using the same profile i have in Firefox . So i want be using Palemoon ;)

It's not that simple since Firefox changed very much and they are becoming two significantly different browsers. Check here, there are solutions for most add-ons. If you know the root of the problem, you'll see it's not really a problem.

HTTPS Everywhere and others dont work for it some dont show at all in Palemoon and some your forced to use old versions. Id rather use Cyberfox if going to use an alternative at lest they stay up to date with everything.

This post also clears some things up.

@steven36: HTTPS Everywhere 5 works fine (development version, it's here). I assume the stable v5 will work when released, too. There are solutions for most extensions.

@Joe13: About Ghostery, I don't use it but heard that works. Tried this? About Zenmate I don't use it, take a look here for some info. About the agent spoofer, you only mimicking as you say. Nothing more and there's more to lose, than to gain from things like that. (Fixed old blog link)

Feel free to PM me for... PM questions!

Archived