Apple unveils the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 with Retina HD screen

axarad

Tim Cook took the stage at the start of today's event and almost immediately announced the new iPhone 6. The Apple iPhone 6 is based on iPod touch looks and has a 4.7" screen.

The screen is protected by "Ion-strengthened glass", which is curved around the edges for a more seamless experience when swiping. The screen itself is an LCD with "Retina HD," which translates to 750 x 1,334 pixels. This pushes the pixel density to 326ppi.

gsmarena_001.jpg gsmarena_002.jpg gsmarena_003.jpg
Apple iPhone 6

Despite the new resolution, apps will "just work" thanks to a desktop-class scaler. This will only be needed until devs update their apps to support the new resolution.

The 8MP iSight camera is back for a fourth year in a row. Apple claims the camera has been improved now - it still has 1.5µ pixels, but features phase detection autofocus and sits behind an f/2.2 aperture. There's no OIS though, it relies on digital stabilization. The camera can shoot panoramas up to 43MP.

The video resolution is kept at 1080p but the 60fps has now been promoted to the max FullHD resolution (up from 720p @ 60fps). Slo-mo video can shoot at 120fps and 240fps, but at a lower resolution.

The chassis is made of anodized aluminum with a stainless steel Apple logo. The body is just 6.9mm thick.

The Apple iPhone 6 is powered by a second-generation chipset, the Apple A8. It offers 25% more CPU power and 50% extra GPU oomph. The chipset is built on a power-efficient 20nm process, which also makes it 13% smaller physically than its A7 predecessor.

gsmarena_004.jpg gsmarena_005.jpg gsmarena_006.jpg
Three color options: Silver, Space Grey and Gold

Apple promises the battery life for the new iPhone 6 will be equal or better than the 5s. It will do up to 14 hours of talk time. Aside from the regular GSM calling, it supports VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) and Wi-Fi calling (for T-Mobile in teh US and EE in the UK). LTE has been updated to support up to 150Mbps downlink (Cat. 4) and supports up to 20 bands.

Other connectivity upgrades include Wi-Fi 802.11ac for three times faster Wi-Fi speeds. Finally, there's also NFC now, which enables Apple's new Apple Pay service for wireless payments.

The M8 co-processor succeeds the M7 and is coupled with a barometer. The two accurately track changes in elevation and can even count the steps you've taken.

gsmarena_003.jpg

The Apple iPhone 6 will cost $199 for the base 16GB model (with two-year contract). There's no 32GB model this year, $299 buys you 64GB instead and there's a $399 128GB version. Pre-orders start on September 12, the phones will ship on the 19th.

Source

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vge3M7S.jpg

Yeah and you guys also have lag and bloatware exclusively. But yes enjoy your S5 using all 8 of it's cores to process all that extra crap they molested into what used to be stock Android, or if stock Android, just the Google spyware.

You guys don't have 64 bit yet? Also iOS has had cloud photo backup for awhile. All those other software features can be got with jailbreaking, because I've had widgets forever.

Let's cut the spec war BS, fact is a lot of people went Android because they wanted a bigger screen, and now they finally can choose to go back to Apple, or get the next Android phone.

This only encourages better Android phones if you hate Apple/iOS, because they don't have the only option short of crappy WP8 for large screen phones. Samsung has been milking battery life and bigger screens and the new phone solves that.

You got me on wireless charging though, you probably aren't going to see that on an iPhone for awhile.

Who mentioned Samsung here? Nexus 4 is on the picture. And it's really pathetic that iPhone has worse screen then Nexus 4 which was released 2 years ago. And talking about lag and bloatware is really funny, because my Nexus 4 is flying, not a single lag during my 1 year use, and I don't have any bloatware. Talk what you want, but market share is telling everything and Android phones are in the top, and Android is much more open then iOS and offers more.

Cheers ;)

Who mentioned Samsung here? Nexus 4 is on the picture. And it's really pathetic that iPhone has worse screen then Nexus 4 which was released 2 years ago. And talking about lag and bloatware is really funny, because my Nexus 4 is flying, not a single lag during my 1 year use, and I don't have any bloatware. Talk what you want, but market share is telling everything and Android phones are in the top, and Android is much more open then iOS and offers more.

Cheers ;)

I mentioned Samsung because they are the biggest iOS competitor and most common Android device. You don't experience all that because you use Nexus 4 which is not molested by OEM. Samsung though has all kinds of half baked features that on paper make them seem innovative, but are buggy.

I personally wouldn't use anything but stock Android or a custom ROM.

PS: Android wins marketshare but all the money goes to Apple and Samsung. Anyone else who makes Android phones has been losing money. Despite Android being the most common, Apple makes more money.

Besides piracy on Android is so easy, nobody buys anything, so Apple often gets exclusive or first dibs on apps despite Android having more openness. That and even with these new phones there are way less screen sizes and OS versions to worry about.

Each side has their own good and bad, but it is annoying to hear people say iPhone sucks because it doesn't have 8 cores, 4GB of RAM (I have jailbreak tweaks for days and I never run out) or stats on paper.

For the money they ask they must offer the best, not sell me something 2 years old and which I already have. And I disagree that only them make the money, others would stop making them.

Cheers ;)

Vge3M7S.jpg

Why Apple iPhone 6 cannot be compared to Google Nexus 4?

What is it with an Apple announcement and a full moon that brings out the crazies in the people? I am sure by now most of you must have seen the Apple iPhone 6 comparison with the Google Nexus 4 on the Internet. But it is more like comparing a Mercedes SLS AMG with a Toyota Camry.

You could list the similarities in the two cars - they both have a steering wheel, they both have four wheels that the car runs on and a spare one in the boot, they both have air-conditioning and they both have a horn, too. But a Toyota Camry would never be a match for the Mercedes SLS AMG. The same is true when comparing the iPhone 6 to the Nexus 4. Here is a list of features that the online posts fail to mention:

Processor

The new A8 chipset with the second-generation 64-bit architecture is zipping fast. Be it graphic games or any other heavy app, the chances of slowing down the phone is next to nil. Apple claims that the phone won't heat up even at high performance. The Nexus 4, when launched in 2012, had a 1.5GHz quad core processor based on Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064 chipset. Even today's Android smartphones with the latest chipsets heat up. And don't ask about lags and freezing, which is often.

Camera

The Nexus 4 had an 8MP camera and so does the iPhone 6. But the imaging quality and sensor on the iPhone 6 are far superior than most cameras in smartphones today. The new Focus Pixel technology provides the sensor with more information about the image, giving a better and faster autofocus that one can see in preview.

Faster Wireless

The iPhone 6 has faster LTE connectivity and supports higher download speeds. LTE is short for Long-Term Evolution, commonly known as fourth-generation or 4G technology. Apple claims it supports more LTE bands than any other smartphone. Even for WiFi, it will work three times faster than the predecessor and most other smartphones.

Apps installed from browser

Do you actually care about these apps? Apple is particular about the apps listed on the iPhone. On Android devices, half the apps are useless or collect private information and can pose threat to your phone.

Premium smartphone

Since the first iPhone launch, all the iPhones had a premium feel. But holding the Nexus 4 wasn't any match. And most Android smartphones look alike. The recent Panasonic Eluga U has a similar back as the Nexus 4.

Wireless Charging

The online posts also boast the Nexus 4's wireless charging capabilities. But, typically, a Qi wireless charger doesn't accompany the handset and it needs to be purchased separately. Of the number of people who purchased the Nexus 4 back then, I don't really know anyone who invested in one.

Fingerprint scanner

That's one thing Apple has and Nexus doesn't. And this isn't only for show-off as, until now, it was used to unlock phones or authorise purchases on the App Store. Now with the Apple Pay service, it will be used for authenticating payments too.

Customer support

The biggest advantage of owning an Apple device is the service. The whole network is so systematically planned that in case you have any issue with your device, just walk into any service centre. If the problem is beyond repair, in most cases the unit is swapped. It might be a refurbished unit, but you still get the warranty from the date of the purchase. Also, you are saved from the hassle of calling and visiting the customer care like in the case of most other brands. In India, with Nexus 4, people had a tough time to get the handset

repaired.

Source (thanks to vitorio)

You got me on wireless charging though, you probably aren't going to see that on an iPhone for awhile.

Apple introduced inductive charging with the Apple Watch and already has a patent for an inductive charging pad, so wireless charging might not be far off for the iPhone as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/6127251/apple-watch-will-use-wireless-magsafe-charging

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/04/apple-patents-inductive-charging-pad-with-orientation-based-docking-functions

Spectacular Keynote from Apple as always, as you would expect. Unlike the boring Note 4 Keynote where the korean DJ Lee could barely speak english on stage. Embarrassing when you think that the Note 4 presenters don't even use Samsung devices in their personal life, they are actually iPhone users, yet they were talking how great the Note 4 is for them. http://9to5mac.com/community/samsung-presenter-rachel-riley-is-an-iphone-user/

Also, the failed ceremonial iPhone burning was hilarious.

Adam Levine wants to burn an iPhone: Many people idolize celebrities, and if Maroon 5 uses Samsung device it will surely convince some of their fans to jump on the wagon. Just don’t let us catch you using an iPhone, Adam. http://phandroid.com/2014/09/03/adam-levine-wants-to-burn-an-iphone/

Then a week later.

Adam Levine tweets from an iPhone less than a week after appearing on stage with Samsung: Last week, Samsung invited Adam Levine from Maroon 5 on stage during its Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge announcement ... Levine was quick to joke about doing a "ceremonial iPhone burning after this," but it seems like his iPhone has avoided becoming a pile of ash. Just today, Levine tweeted about appearing on The Ellen Show from, you guessed it, an iPhone. It's not the first time a paid celebrity endorser has used something other than they were paid to promote, and it likely won't be the last. http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/8/6121623/adam-levine-iphone-tweet-samsung-event

Samsung devices are so great that not even their own people use them. And this is not the first time it happens.

Apple introduced inductive charging with the Apple Watch and already has a patent for an inductive charging pad, so wireless charging might not be far off for the iPhone as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/6127251/apple-watch-will-use-wireless-magsafe-charging

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/04/apple-patents-inductive-charging-pad-with-orientation-based-docking-functions

Spectacular Keynote from Apple as always, as you would expect. Unlike the boring Note 4 Keynote where the korean DJ Lee could barely speak english on stage. Embarrassing when you think that the Note 4 presenters don't even use Samsung devices in their personal life, they are actually iPhone users, yet they were talking how great the Note 4 is for them. http://9to5mac.com/community/samsung-presenter-rachel-riley-is-an-iphone-user/

Also, the failed ceremonial iPhone burning was hilarious.

Adam Levine wants to burn an iPhone: Many people idolize celebrities, and if Maroon 5 uses Samsung device it will surely convince some of their fans to jump on the wagon. Just don’t let us catch you using an iPhone, Adam. http://phandroid.com/2014/09/03/adam-levine-wants-to-burn-an-iphone/

Then a week later.

Adam Levine tweets from an iPhone less than a week after appearing on stage with Samsung: Last week, Samsung invited Adam Levine from Maroon 5 on stage during its Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge announcement ... Levine was quick to joke about doing a "ceremonial iPhone burning after this," but it seems like his iPhone has avoided becoming a pile of ash. Just today, Levine tweeted about appearing on The Ellen Show from, you guessed it, an iPhone. It's not the first time a paid celebrity endorser has used something other than they were paid to promote, and it likely won't be the last. http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/8/6121623/adam-levine-iphone-tweet-samsung-event

Samsung devices are so great that not even their own people use them. And this is not the first time it happens.

Yeah Samsung pays people to hide their iPhones and put their S5 up. See the Olympics and the Ellen selfie incidents.

The one thing that bothers is the storage capacity the new iPhones come with: 16GB, 64GB and 128GB, no 32GB model.

The 32GB version should have been the base model. At least now you get the 64GB model for the same price the 32GB used to cost. Here's hoping they will be replacing the 16GB model with the 32GB in the future. Guess I'll have to get the 64GB now.

The firmware got bigger so the OS will take more space, after updating from iOS 7 to iOS 8 you will notice less space left. Plus the apps will continue to get bigger over time, especially since they have to support the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus resolutions.

iPhone 5s prices before the iPhone 6 announcement

OEk6irp.png

iPhone 6 prices

9jPHUN5.png

The one thing that bothers is the storage capacity the new iPhones come with: 16GB, 64GB and 128GB, no 32GB model.

The 32GB version should have been the base model. At least you get the 64GB model for the same price the 32GB used to cost. Here's hoping they will be replacing the 16GB model with the 32GB.

That and the el cheapo old models having 8GB scream of them planning on you running out.

I don't even store videos or pictures and my iPhone 5 16GB was getting tight, so I went 64GB on the 5S and now I'm getting 128GB, though I'm not even close to using up all 64GB.

Archived