Web Browsers: What channel are you on ?

Alhaitham

77 members have voted

1. 1. Web Browsers: What channel are you on ?

• Stable
    • Beta
    • Aurora (Dev)
    • Nightly (Canary)
    • Old Version

And

Why ?

For me:

Stable

The safe option

• Replies 51
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stable versions only, I have 1000's of people testing the alpha, beta and RC versions for me...Once they give it a green light I thank them and install.

Nightly, for me - the average Joe who uses a stable version learns all about the what factor (quite late) whereas I get to learn the what & how factor, as well . . . . . . . . . months, in advance.

Besides, the x64-bit iteration ships with a hereditary performance which some people choose to delude themselves as just a placebo - well, those who cannot discern the performance difference between a x64-bit and a x32-bit are living in blissful contentment arising from grave misconfigurations in their OS.

Nightly, for me - the average Joe who uses a stable version learns all about the what factor (quite late) whereas I get to learn the what & how factor, as well . . . . . . . . . months, in advance.

Besides, the x64-bit iteration ships with a hereditary performance which some people choose to delude themselves as just a placebo - well, those who cannot discern the performance difference between a x64-bit and a x32-bit are living in blissful contentment arising from grave misconfigurations in their OS.

Is there a x64 firefox nightly? Where is it?

Is there a x64 firefox nightly? Where is it?

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/firefox-33.0a1.en-US.win64-x86_64.installer.exe

I'll give it a try. I hope, this will fix the freeze due to IDM conflict.

Can I run nightly and stable in parallel? Or the nightly will overwrite the stable?

Both use the same profile without conflicts and can run parallel to each other - please be aware that the Nightly updates almost daily (sometimes even twice or multiple times a day.) 8)

Damn, I'm happy with stable then.

@Mozilla, what would you take to start developing 64 bit firefox? - should dcs18 and I dance naked before you?

I use all of the proposed options, sometimes also some older versions. Especially when it is necessary to open an older sites that has not been updated.
Unfortunately, the poll doesn't enable to mark several variants..
In future suggest to enable.

old v28 right now.

i hate australis rubbish. and also i hate to run after fixed extensions all the time. it's a pain in the ass, to be honest.

also i haven't seen any proof that a firefox x64 build performs noticeable better.

it just eats more memory. not what i'm looking for.

I'm on the Stable channel of Google Chrome.

old v28 right now. i hate australis rubbish. and also i hate to run after fixed extensions all the time. it's a pain in the ass, to be honest.

You're stupidly missing out on a lot of security fixes, including fixes for numerous critical vulnerabilities that "can be used to run attacker code and install software, requiring no user interaction beyond normal browsing." You have three options to decrease the likelihood of being compromised:

old v28 right now. i hate australis rubbish. and also i hate to run after fixed extensions all the time. it's a pain in the ass, to be honest.

You're stupidly missing out on a lot of security fixes, including fixes for numerous critical vulnerabilities that "can be used to run attacker code and install software, requiring no user interaction beyond normal browsing." You have three options to decrease the likelihood of being compromised:

i don't give a shit. i *bet* they introduced just about as many new security holes since then... :)

i never had any security problems here... not in the last >15 years.

i don't give a shit. i *bet* they introduced just about as many new security holes since then... :)

Pretending new security holes were introduced, which there's no reason to believe is the case, the difference would be that your vulnerabilities are public knowledge.

i'm totally aware of that. still, by far the biggest security problem is the user.

see, i am using a lot of outdated "no-go-software" such as

utorrent 1.6.1

outlook express

flashget 1.7.2

^^^ each of them "the BIGGEST security hole ever", -_-

on top of that i don't even have an antivirus installed.

and still never have problems. never had any blaster, sasser, melissa or whatever virus/trojan on my system(s).

ok, maybe i was just lucky the last 20 years. B)

/edit:

NO, i would never recommend to use that old stuff to any of my friends. but for me, they are just fine, and never as bloated

as the never versions.... also i'm not saying AV soft is useless, for most people it might be fine.

i'm totally aware of that. still, by far the biggest security problem is the user.

Absolutely, and one could make a similar argument about driving a car, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't wear a seatbelt because he/she is a good driver. I'm not sure why you would put your security in the hands of the websites you visit, having faith that they won't exploit the vulnerabilities. Even if you limit your internet browsing to a few "safe" sites, you never know when one of them might be hacked. Something as simple as a bad advertisement would do it for you. Your security apparently isn't very important to you.

and still never have problems. never had any blaster, sasser, melissa or whatever virus/trojan on my system(s).

ok, maybe i was just lucky the last 20 years. B)

...Then how do you know? :P

^^^ each of them "the BIGGEST security hole ever", -_-

Fortunately, I have found a thought-companion, at least one exist in the world!

• 7 months later...

Archived