dcs18

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undertaker
15 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

What then, happened of your AdGuard? yXZVmpE.gif

AdGuard is still here, this is basically for other devices on my network - ipad, iphone, android and any guests that come.

Wouldn't it have been more simpler to have a doggie guard against such guests who invade your home with infernal devices like iPads & iPhones. tx38TOr.gif

Undertaker

It is what it is....I looked for alternatives as well like for e.g for iOS there is DNSCloak, but it's progress has stagnated. With this setup, I ensure that my bandwidth is saved and the traffic is encrypted as well. So, it was pretty a good deal for me. Plus it made me learn something new, so it's all cool. ^_^

jayesh30202

Camera MX - Photo, Video, GIF Camera & Editor is now v4.7.172

WHAT'S NEW

- hotfixed some crashes

2 hours ago, Undertaker said:

pi-holed system

Do you have their box or your own Raspberry Pi system?

Supposing that I have 1 Gpbs net connection, using the Raspberry like a DNS won't affect the performance of the network because it is about only the DNS queries, right?

Undertaker
22 minutes ago, Recruit said:

Do you have their box or your own Raspberry Pi system?

Lol with the Undertaker, it's never too straight.

Granted that Pi-hole is originally meant for the Raspberry systems but neither did I had that or the Linux system that was one of the pre-requisites

But then I read a post here: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1379399

I tool inspiration and instead of the Hyper V, I used the VMWare Workstation Pro latest v14(available on nsanedown)

On this I VMed the Debain ISO as mentioned in the post and after that it was smooth sailing(well not quite because this was my first linux experience, so it took me 5-6 tries to get it right).

Installing DNSCrypt was a challenge as well(not because the process is tough but bcuz of my noobness in the subject are-linux,pi-hole).

But once I got hold of how to do things, I can say it's very easy to do.

Remember, it is only difficult till you can't get it done.

The network performance will depend on the closeness to server which should be very close in Europe(if you uust use pi-hole) or even if you pair it up with dnscrypt-proxy.

I would say you go like me, try the system in VMware, in the router you only change DNS, so if the setup is wrong or incorrect all you have to do is to revert to default DNS.

If you want I could show a step by step guide(very similar to the one as in the link above). But that will take time.

You should try it and if there is any problem, I will help. Even tough I'm busy this week but if you set out on this adventure, I'll make the exception to come online and help you.

Any other questions, you would like to ask before (supposedly) starting? :D

p.s. I have tried it with an ethernet connection/modem router, through which I supply WiFI to my home(using windows wifi hotspot).

10 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

If you want I could show a step by step guide

Thanks Bro. That will be really cool.^_^

Now I am downloading Debian. I am going to test it into a VM too, and maybe then I will try with Raspberry because I will not have a VM operating 24/24 into my network.

However, waiting for your tutorial......never used Linux so everything is a challenge related to it for me......:D

Thanks for reply! ;)

Undertaker
46 minutes ago, Recruit said:

I am going to test it into a VM too, and maybe then I will try with Raspberry because I will not have a VM operating 24/24 into my network.

That will be good.

I hope you are downloading the cd version and not dvd version, otherwise we will both be in confused state. :P

With regards to debian install in vm set these standards, ram requirement - 1gb(is enough, you can assign more if you want), disk - 10gb more than enough, network I chose bridged(auto).

Rest w.r.t debian install, follow the video.

Once you have debian readyand installed, take VM snapshot(so you can revert in case of a mistake). and then go on trying to install Pi-hole yourself and see how it goes.

I will be out 2moro morning, so support will be in the evening only. :D Just post your problem,if any, with screenshots.

jayesh30202

Aqua Mail - email app v1.16.0-1136-dev [Pro]

WHAT'S NEW

- Fixed RTL folder names having wrong text alignment
- Fixed "account switcher panel" becoming "disabled"
- Slightly darker color of account names and folders (previous build made them too faded)

@Undertaker

OK Bro : I made it! Thanks! It was not so hard....:)
Well, I have downloaded the dvd but I managed to use it....:P

Into my network I have 2 NAS devices. Both can use the VM(s). I will install it again into a VM which will run everyday between 08-23.

There is the option the VM to be run automatically when the system wakes up.

I will keep it for tests for about a month and if everything works fine, I would consider to use it with a Raspberry Pi.

Now please guide me how I can use dnscrypt with PI-hole via Debian. :notworthy:

Thanks in advance, Man !

bjyR4ju.png

20 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Good news for Users of AdGuard:—

The latest AdGuard Assistant Beta 4.2.3 now ships with finer granularity and can be customized for individual websites:

7kTgUZV.png

Bug:—

Unfortunately, AdGuard Assistant Beta 4.2.3 fails to show-up on some sites.

After an eventful night of resetting AdGuard, playing with my firewall and re-adjusting my Simple DNSCrypt . . . . . . . all my trials & tribulations led to the reason for the above behavior — on sites where cookies are completely disabled blocked AdGuard Assistant Beta 4.2.3 will fail to make a presence. A5qMhta.gif

If this is just a bug . . . . . . . fine — if it's, by design . . . . . . . damn! RL8WwPy.gif

ps:—

Still need Users of AdGuard to confirm my findings . . . . . . . thanks.

jayesh30202

Aqua Mail - email app is now v1.16.0-1138-dev [Pro]

WHAT'S NEW

- Fixed RTL folder names having wrong text alignment
- Fixed "account switcher panel" becoming "disabled"
- Slightly darker color of account names and folders (previous build made them too faded)

BitTorrent® Pro - Torrent App is now v5.0.4

WHAT'S NEW

many bug fixes & performance improvements
setting: no limit on number of active torrents by default
fix audio player notification (can be dismissed)
GDPR compliance

Undertaker

@Recruit Sorry for late reply bro.

17 hours ago, Recruit said:

There is the option the VM to be run automatically when the system wakes up.

I use the run tray icon when a VMware OS is running. Also I have selceted the keep VM running even if you close VMware, the app.

OK Bro : I made it! Thanks! It was not so hard....:)

I just want to confirm whether your ISP originally provides you static or dynamic IP?

Also did you go into the network interface file and edited the address, netmask, gateway entries or no like suggested in the guide/video?

For me when I was trying it for the first time, it stopped working after 24 hrs, so you might wanna wait that while.

Now please guide me how I can use dnscrypt with PI-hole via Debian. :notworthy:

https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/wiki/DNSCrypt-2.0

Make necessary changes related to version file. Follow till -service start command.

And then don't change the port through web interface but use the guide/commands to modify pi-hole as listed in part-2 of that guide.

Again I'm here if you need me.

Undertaker
8 hours ago, dcs18 said:

on sites where cookies are completely disabled blocked AdGuard Assistant Beta 4.2.3 will fail to make a presence. A5qMhta.gif

Confirmed.

jayesh30202

Learn Languages: Rosetta Stone is now v5.1.1

WHAT'S NEW

• Includes various fixes and enhancements to improve your experience with Rosetta Stone.

3 hours ago, Undertaker said:

I just want to confirm whether your ISP originally provides you static or dynamic IP?

Also did you go into the network interface file and edited the address, netmask, gateway entries or no like suggested in the guide/video?

Theoretically the ip is dynamic, but considering that I have same ip since about 8 years can be considered static :P

Yes, I edited the file like into the video more for confirmation, even if I used MAC rules into router, under IP & MAC Binding

3 hours ago, Undertaker said:

Make necessary changes related to version file. Follow till -service start command.

And then don't change the port through web interface but use the guide/commands to modify pi-hole as listed in part-2 of that guide.

Done!

Now the system is running into VM via a NAS device, such a home cloud :P

Thanks for support, Bro!

I have a question: Wonder how these guys got so many domains blocked?
I imported their list and I got only about 127.000.....

See it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/8mpzw1/holy_cow_parents_dns_queries_are_almost_50/

Undertaker
4 minutes ago, Recruit said:

I have a question: Wonder how these guys got so many domains blocked?

It just depends on how many lists you import into your setup..

If you like to play here is a site: https://wally3k.github.io/

But remember there maybe false positives, so the more you add, maybe more the work.

If you're worried by the %age then don't, bcoz it totally depends on the sites you visit.

13 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

It just depends on how many lists you import into your setup..

Thanks, Bro! I will take a look into it! ( how an admin from here is used to say often :P ).

Maybe I will come back with some impressions when I will have some time to transfer it to a Raspberry PI, how I said earlier. That's a challenge, for sure, too. ;)

jayesh30202

Ampere is now v3.04 Final

WHAT'S NEW

v3.04
* AdMob consent added (GDPR)
* Language updates
* Bug fixes and minor enhancements

Undertaker

@Recruit Hi

Since you haven't reported of any problems, I'm assuming everything is going per plan as of now and it has also passed the 24 hrs period.

I wanted to ask what method are you using - simply changing DNS or utilizing Pi-Hole's DHCP server?

21 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

Since you haven't reported of any problems, I'm assuming everything is going per plan as of now and it has also passed the 24 hrs period.

Hello Bro,

Well, I have reconfigurated everything last evening, because I needed to make some snapshots, thus:

S1: Only Debian installed
S2: Debian + Pi-Hole installed
S3: Debian + Pi-Hole + Dnscrypt

I gave limited resources to VM: dual-core cpu & 512mb of RAM. As you can see, is more than enough :

pRe5kRU.png

I need to wait a bit more to see what will happen in few hours, when it'll reach 24 hours....

28 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

simply changing DNS or utilizing Pi-Hole's DHCP server?

I have a Cisco router: I have more VLANs into my home network.
Usually, the inter-vlan feature is disabled, but now, I have enabled it, only for tests, and in this way I have added same DNS for each vlan.

DHCP server from router delivers the DNS to each client.

My dashboard looks in this way right now: initially I have added all lists from the link you gave me, but a bit later, I removed some of them:

cgCk3Vu.png

Let me know, please, if the dnscrypt works as it should be ( see screenshots ):

lhPUlTf.png

0xF4SRo.png

Also, I am looking to know if there are any ways to update DNScrypt and PI-hole to newer versions without starting from 0.

Thanks in advance for reply, Man! ;)
Sorry, no more reactions for now......:dunno:

Undertaker
1 hour ago, Recruit said:

Let me know, please, if the dnscrypt works as it should be ( see screenshots ):

Yes those are dnscrypted servers.

1 hour ago, Recruit said:

Also, I am looking to know if there are any ways to update DNScrypt and PI-hole to newer versions without starting from 0.

I have only updated Pi-Hole till now, dnscrypt-proxy new version hasn't arrived after I started testing.

At the root

pihole
pihole -up

If you type just pihole, it gives you various available options.

pihole -up command is for updates.

• Matrix locked this topic

Archived