Total noob to Android - where to get guidance ?

smallhagrid

smallhagrid

Due to circumstances beyond my control I needed a smartphone and now have one made by LG.

There are things I need help with and searched for places at which to ask, and those I found are not producing any helpful info at all for me....

I did post in the Android App thread here once or twice, but with ~87 pages in it and stuff being added all the time posts just get buring in that single thread.

(Makes me wonder if this place would do well to add an area just for Android-related threads...?)

Would the helpful folks here suggest where I might make Android queries that may bring some helpful replies, please ??

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smallhagrid

• Dodel

• sirri

• AlexCross

Xda forums for all your Android queries, certainly more qualified and an oracle of information there.

smallhagrid

This is soooo true !!!

if you smart enough :D , then you can go XDA forum

I have looked there and it seems to me that I am NOT smart enough for what I've seen there !!!

The stuff I need help with is not specific to LG or the phone I got.

It's stuff like how to change the slide-to-answer thingy that only works 1/3 of the time...and how to get rid of the locking because its mostly going to be sitting on my table 99% of the time - tweaky stuff like that.

I have tried searching and also looked for apps but nothing I found has helped yet.

Thanks for any guidance !!

smallhagrid

BooHooHoo:

or if you love straight forward guidance for beginner, go to http://androinica.com/category/androidguide/

anyway, if don't mind, which model you got ? G2, GFlex or Optimus series ?

Went there right away=>

http://androinica.com/forums/

And it says:

This section is no longer active.

Waaaah.

My phone is an LG Optimus Dynamic LG L38c - a cheapie, but it is enough for what I need...

Thanks !!

BooHooHoo:

or if you love straight forward guidance for beginner, go to http://androinica.com/category/androidguide/

anyway, if don't mind, which model you got ? G2, GFlex or Optimus series ?

Went there right away=>

http://androinica.com/forums/

And it says:

This section is no longer active.

Waaaah.

My phone is an LG Optimus Dynamic LG L38c - a cheapie, but it is enough for what I need...

Thanks !!

forgot to mention,.the forum was no longer active but at homepage,there's tons useful article for beginner such common questions.

Edited by sirri

unknownasphyxiated

if you can't find the answer for your questions, just put it here and you might get the answer

smallhagrid

Looks like here is my best hope as you suggest Unknownasphyxiated !!:

if you can't find the answer for your questions, just put it here and you might get the answer

None of the other spots I've asked questions at have resulted in a single reply.

There's loads of Android sites to be found, but very little in the way of help from other users - or so it seems.

I found a couple of apps that may fix some of the stuff - so I'll try those & post back about this afterwards...

Thanks.

I see you've not got yourself the much awaited Android device you were waiting for (The LG Optimus Dynamic).

Well here is a video review of your device. Manuals, Tips and Tricks from the Official website

and finally some root guidelines over here ...

Edited by geeteam

smallhagrid

I rooted it right away (that was nice & easy !!).

There are some general sorts of things that I would like to fix (if possible...).

I posted similar queries at a couple of active looking Android forums - and they have been read hundreds of times - but there have been zero replies posted - so here is my list of stuff that I need help with.

I will very much appreciate any helpful pointers or guidance, thanks.

I use Sipdroid for VOIP calling - and the 'slide to answer' screen comes on when I get a call - but is VERY temperamental.

Lots of times I miss calls because it slides up and does...nothing, just sticks there - without answering.

I'd like to have a simple button to answer/hang up.

Is there a working app or other alternative for this, please ??

I want to lock/unlock my screen 100% manually.

I am at home most of the time and the phone just sits on my table waiting to be used.

Is there an app or any easy way to accomplish this, please ??

I really only want this phone to have a few uses for home and if I do go out.

I'd like to archive the excess apps off the phone and remove them; but be able to put any back later if I change my mind about them. (I do have 'Root App Delete' but no backup app of any sort yet.)

Would someone tell me the best way to go about this please ??

I'd like to be able to totally backup this phone's config, files etc. & be able to restore it easily should it get screwed up.

Would someone advise me as to what is really good as well as easy for this, please ??

I use Trillian Pro on my PC and with that it is easy to make voice calls to other Trillian users.
The Android version seems to only do IMing.

Is there some way to get it to do voice calls, or - if not=>

Is there something which has both a windows AND Android app that allows voice calling between both things that anyone here can recommend, please ??

I'd like also to be able to send & receive text messages with regular cellular phone users.

There seems to be apps for that, some with fees and some requiring all users to have certain apps.

A lot of what I see seems to be oriented towards using a phone via cellular network.

Since I don't use cellular service and don't plan to - here is what I'd like for someone to guide me about, please:

What is the best - easiest - free - dependable way to get & send SMSs to others using my phone & Wifi only ??

Thanks for any help.

Best Wishes to All !!

Due to circumstances beyond my control I needed a smartphone and now have one made by LG.

There are things I need help with and searched for places at which to ask, and those I found are not producing any helpful info at all for me....

I did post in the Android App thread here once or twice, but with ~87 pages in it and stuff being added all the time posts just get buring in that single thread.

(Makes me wonder if this place would do well to add an area just for Android-related threads...?)

Would the helpful folks here suggest where I might make Android queries that may bring some helpful replies, please ??

Thanks.

For all your present and future needs, just read this nsane post, install it now, play around and test your Android apps, games, movies etc. etc. on your favorite virtual Android device. Later, you can transfer your liked ones on to your real Android smartphone /tablet. Simple! ;)

Edited by Rok

smallhagrid

Thanks Rok:

For all your present and future needs, just read this nsane post, install it now, play around and test your Android apps, games, movies etc. etc. on virtual Android device and later transfer your liked one your real Android smartphone /tablet.

I have seen posts about Genymotion and find it interesting BUT=>

It requires Virtualbox, which I do not wish to use, thanks.

I have posted my specific queries just above your reply.

I am fine with testing apps on my phone as they seem to uninstall very well if it turns out they aren't what I need.

The really annoying problem above all in my whole list is the nasty 'slide-to-answer' that has me missing calls.

I tried a couple of apps which claimed to make buttons for answering so far and they did not work.

There are paid apps called EZButton (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kigate.EZbutton) and EZTouch (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kigate.EZtouch) which may fix this - but since I will not pay google for anything I have not tried them...

Thanks.

I have seen posts about Genymotion and find it interesting BUT=>

It requires Virtualbox, which I do not wish to use, thanks.

Yourwave :-

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/168119-youwave-for-android-412/?hl=%2Bbluestack#entry670970

Bluestacks :-

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/189829-bluestacks-appplayer-v-0718921-win-x64-x86-mac-offline-installers/

Both run from native OS and do not need VM's.

smallhagrid

Another noob query - please.

I've just found the mydroidapp.org site and there's some appetizing stuff listed there, BUT=>

That site uses some adfly type of thing and I wonder if there's any easy way to just skip that ??

smallhagrid

Thanks very much Dodel:

Both run from native OS and do not need VM's.

I have said in my other posting regarding this whole testing in the PC idea=>

I have posted my specific queries just above your reply.

I am fine with testing apps on my phone as they seem to uninstall very well if it turns out they aren't what I need.

I will really appreciate if anyone will try and help me with my exact questions...please ?!?

Thanks.

Another noob query - please.

I've just found the mydroidapp.org site and there's some appetizing stuff listed there, BUT=>

That site uses some adfly type of thing and I wonder if there's any easy way to just skip that ??

I'm aware of a few firefox addons that did strip out the adlfly part and pass the end URL, but not that reliable now I think. You can just highlight the URL and right click copy and paste into a new window, I do that most of time.

The really annoying problem above all in my whole list is the nasty 'slide-to-answer' that has me missing calls.

I tried a couple of apps which claimed to make buttons for answering so far and they did not work.

There are paid apps called EZButton (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kigate.EZbutton) and EZTouch (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kigate.EZtouch) which may fix this - but since I will not pay google for anything I have not tried them...

Thanks.

Sorry for missing this out, could you also explain a bit more the issue ?, I think the slide to answer feature is linked to your lockscreen, I'd first try disabling your lock screen and seeing if that solves the issue, if so you can install an alternate shell etc to get around this.

I'd advise you to root your phone though, (if it isn't already), this gives you full admin access to your phone, which makes it easier to tweak, also I understand it doesn't void your warranty now (not sure how true that is) I run a Nexus 4 also made by LG, but I flashed mine with a custom rom, and run Xposed, which is pretty much ultimate control over your handset.

Edited by Dodel

I rooted it right away (that was nice & easy !!).

There are some general sorts of things that I would like to fix (if possible...).

I posted similar queries at a couple of active looking Android forums - and they have been read hundreds of times - but there have been zero replies posted - so here is my list of stuff that I need help with.

I will very much appreciate any helpful pointers or guidance, thanks.

1. I use Sipdroid for VOIP calling - and the 'slide to answer' screen comes on when I get a call - but is VERY temperamental.

Lots of times I miss calls because it slides up and does...nothing, just sticks there - without answering.

Try Viber / Whatsapp ((Needs mobile number to register account, but works on wifi), no other way)

2. I want to lock/unlock my screen 100% manually.

I am at home most of the time and the phone just sits on my table waiting to be used.

You can use something like tasker to do this, using preset rules i.e when connected to wifi, put on mute & disable lock screen & much much more, check an app called Trigger, I use it for enabling gps and maps when in car, and disabling when I get to work (pure example)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher

3. I really only want this phone to have a few uses for home and if I do go out.

I'd like to archive the excess apps off the phone and remove them; but be able to put any back later if I change my mind about them. (I do have 'Root App Delete' but no backup app of any sort yet.)

Titanium backup will allow you to do this, you can freeze apps, and remove them, restore as and when you want.

4. I'd like to be able to totally backup this phone's config, files etc. & be able to restore it easily should it get screwed up.

Would someone advise me as to what is really good as well as easy for this, please ??

Rom Toolbox / Rom Manager / Titanium backup are your options here, the first two make a direct image of your current setup, and can restore (quite like acronis, ghost etc.), Titanium back can make individual backup of apps / settings.

5. I use Trillian Pro on my PC and with that it is easy to make voice calls to other Trillian users.

Is there something which has both a windows AND Android app that allows voice calling between both things that anyone here can recommend, please ??

Viber, I use the desktop client all the time, my wife and I use the android version also, totally free. (Again needs mobile number to register account, but works on wifi)

6. I'd like also to be able to send & receive text messages with regular cellular phone users.

There seems to be apps for that, some with fees and some requiring all users to have certain apps.

See #5 (Viber does this)

A lot of what I see seems to be oriented towards using a phone via cellular network.

Since I don't use cellular service and don't plan to - here is what I'd like for someone to guide me about, please:

What is the best - easiest - free - dependable way to get & send SMSs to others using my phone & Wifi only ??

You'd really only be looking at some sore of IM app like Miranda / Mercury messenger.

Also I'd recommend installing xposed, it will give you godly like access to your phone :).

**Sorry for the bold, only way to make the text standout :)

I hope that answers most of your questions, if you need any of the above please let me know.

Edited by Dodel

smallhagrid

Thanks Again Dodel !!:

Sorry for missing this out, could you also explain a bit more the issue ?

Phone rings - slide-to-answer' pops on - I slide - it moves a little - stops - doesn't answer.

It seems to freeze for a second - then I try over & over 'till the call drops without being able to answer it ?!?

Please pardon my ignorance, but:

I think the slide to answer feature is linked to your lockscreen, I'd first try disabling your lock screen and seeing if that solves the issue

I don't know how to disable the lock screen - please give me some clues ??

(I did what I thought would do this in settings, but still it wants a slide-to-unlock ?!?)

Great, thanks:

if so you can install an alternate shell etc to get around this.

More info, please ?!?

It is rooted AFAIK, I did that right away:

I'd advise you to root your phone though, (if it isn't already), this gives you full admin access to your phone, which makes it easier to tweak

But I really don't yet know how one makes use of it or verifies it (Superuser is also installed).

This is no worry for me as it is just a $20 phone:

also I understand it doesn't void your warranty now (not sure how true that is)

Bought it to get into Android for cheap, and thus far it's all good, but for the goofy stuff I've asked for help with...

Way cool:

I run a Nexus 4 also made by LG, but I flashed mine with a custom rom, and run Xposed, which is pretty much ultimate control over your handset.

This is way over my head at this point - no clue what these things do, nor how to get or install one.

I am pretty happy with the OS & standard launcher/shell EXCEPT that I want to stop it from using wallpaper and just get a solid colour background...and as yet do not know how that may be done.

It is rooted AFAIK, I did that right away:

But I really don't yet know how one makes use of it or verifies it (Superuser is also installed).

This is way over my head at this point - no clue what these things do, nor how to get or install one.

I am pretty happy with the OS & standard launcher/shell EXCEPT that I want to stop it from using wallpaper and just get a solid colour background...and as yet do not know how that may be done.

Ok, let's go in at the deep end (no harm done in these next steps & best way to learn android imho)

Grab Xposed framework from google play it's free, then look for the gravity box module (in Xposed module settings). After that, you should be able to resolve pretty much your issue via gravity box, as it gives you many more options, just browse the settings in gravity box.)

I'm sorry if that sounds like a quick get out rather than a step by step, but It's how I do mine and the only way I remember, and I've been at the vino.

Edited by Dodel

smallhagrid

Dodel - thank you very, very, very much for such helpful replies !!!:

I don't have a mobile number with any cellular provider:

1. I use Sipdroid for VOIP calling - and the 'slide to answer' screen comes on when I get a call - but is VERY temperamental.

Try Viber / Whatsapp ((Needs mobile number to register account, but works on wifi), no other way)

I use an IPKall free number=> PBXes.org=> Sipdroid for incoming calls & CircleNet for outgoing calls - all 100& over Wifi.

AFAIK, Whatsapp is for SMS only - and Viber is needed by all users - whereas with what I use I can call anybody, anyplace.

BUT=> 75% of the time with the nasty slide thingy I cannot answer incoming calls !?!

I'll look into Tasker, thanks:

2. I want to lock/unlock my screen 100% manually.

You can use something like tasker to do this, using preset rules i.e when connected to wifi, put on mute & disable lock screen & much much more, check an app called Trigger, I use it for enabling gps and maps when in car, and disabling when I get to work (pure example)

Superb, thanks:

3. I really only want this phone to have a few uses for home and if I do go out.

Titanium backup will allow you to do this, you can freeze apps, and remove them, restore as and when you want.

Easily enough done then !!

Exactly - thanks - like an image backup - just what I meant !!:

4. I'd like to be able to totally backup this phone's config, files etc. & be able to restore it easily should it get screwed up.

Rom Toolbox / Rom Manager / Titanium backup are your options here, the first two make a direct image of your current setup, and can restore (quite like acronis, ghost etc.), Titanium back can make individual backup of apps / settings.

OK, but:

5. I use Trillian Pro on my PC and with that it is easy to make voice calls to other Trillian users.

Viber, I use the desktop client all the time, my wife and I use the android version also, totally free. (Again needs mobile number to register account, but works on wifi)

The only way I could mimic a mobile # is with a google voice number as I do not have one with any carrier at all...?

Still baffled about this, sorry for being so dumb:

6. I'd like also to be able to send & receive text messages with regular cellular phone users.

See #5

Assuming I can trick my way into Viber as suggested (somehow ??), is it correct that anyone I send a text to ALSO must have Viber, or does it work with regular numbers of non-Viber users as well ???

(As I tried asking just below this...)

I see - but I do not yet understand:

Also I'd recommend installing xposed, it will give you godly like access to your phone :).

I'll have to search and read about this soon to know more, thanks.

WHAT ?!?:

**Sorry for the bold, only way to make the text standout :)

This is GREAT help - abso-fricken-lutely the BEST without a doubt - and you made it so nice & easy to read too !!!!!!!!!!!

And this came in while I was making my reply=>

Ok, let's go in at the deep end (no harm done in these next steps & best way to learn android imho)

Grab Xposed framework from google play it's free, then look for the gravity box module (in Xposed module settings). After that, you should be able to resolve pretty much your issue via gravity box, as it gives you many more options.

I will look to see more about it...thanks.

It's all good and VERY appreciated:

I'm sorry if that sounds like a quick get out rather than a step by step, but It's how I do mine and the only way I remember, and I've been at the vino.

And after all that help you MUST be thirsty !!! :cheers:

Thanks Again Dodel, and Best Wishes to All !!

smallhagrid

Well - that's out for me as my phone has 2.3.6 & I don't want to change the OS (at least not yet...):

Also, make sure you’re running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or later, or else Xposed will not work.

(From=>http://www.addictivetips.com/android/what-is-xposed-framework-for-android-how-to-install-it-guide/)

I'll have to find other methods to fix the goofy stuff.

For this minute IF it could be possible to just make it answer incoming calls reliably that'd be a HUGE help !!!

Other sites that came up about that cool idea are...:

http://lifehacker.com/xposed-framework-updates-adds-mod-details-and-risks-be-1578758598

http://www.androidcentral.com/everything-you-need-know-get-strated-using-xposed-framework

http://www.androidbeat.com/2014/01/install-xposed-framework-modules-android-device/

I will also be setting up 2 more identical phones for 2 people who are extremely non-tech oriented (one of which is my S.O.) who also want to stay in touch MINUS the cellular charges, so it is important to keep my phone like theirs for now until the bugs are all worked out...

Thanks !!!

Edited by smallhagrid

• 4 weeks later...
smallhagrid

Thus far I've found no forum nor anyone who has really been able to help.

I am VERY glad to see this new forum here - thanks Mods !!!

I have found solutions to most of my phone's annoyances via extensive searching.

Solutions that work for one model & Android version seldom work the same in a different one - so using an emulator as suggested would likely just be a good way to pass the time - but unlikely to show what does what on a specific phone, etc...

The biggest problem with my phone was the really bad slide-to-answer thingy that prevented me from getting any calls because it would not actually complete and allow me to answer.

The best solution to that turned out to just be Acrobits softphone.

It altogether replaces the stock phone thingy and has it's own answer screen, with simple buttons - Yay !!!

The screen locking was solved by a simple dollar store Android dock which stands the phone up nicely and keeps it lit too.

As for texting via Wifi only, Google Voice & Textfree are both good solutions for that.

Now all I have on my list of important things is to re-partition it so as to un-cripple what tracfone does to all their phones and it'll go from being an OK phone to a really useful, usable Wifi-only phone.

Best Wishes to All.

Edited by smallhagrid

I saw the discussion about xposed, I'm planning to install it, but I'm affraid of the bootloops. Any other feedback about it from users who use it?