New Surface Pro 3 Tablet

Deunan

Microsoft has officially unveiled the Surface Pro 3, a device aimed at eliminating the "conflict" Microsoft sees between the tablet and laptop.

Sexy ain't it....

SurfacePro3Primary_Web.jpg

The device features a 12-inch screen and kickstand, and supports a stylus. In addition, the Tablet comes with support for USB 3.0 and Microsoft's popular Type Covers in multiple colors. The Surface Pro 3 features an Intel Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 processor to boost its performance compared to the previous Microsoft slate.

Microsoft has high hopes for the Surface Pro 3, saying that it's the first tablet that can replace a user's laptop. The company argues that tablets and laptops have heretofore been mutually exclusive, but its new tablet can bridge that gap.

In order to achieve that goal, Microsoft says that the tablet is 9.1mm thick, compared to 10.6mm on the Surface Pro 2. The device's 12-inch screen, up from the 10.6-inch Surface Pro 2, was "critical", Microsoft says, as it tries to make it compete with laptops. The display also comes with a 2,160 x 1,440 resolution, topping traditional 1080p FHD displays on the market.

Built into the thin body you'll still find a full-size USB 3.0 port, microSD card reader, and Mini DisplayPort, 5-megapixel and 1080p HD front- and rear-facing cameras, as well as stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound. Other hardware specs include SSD storage from 64GB to 512GB; 4GB or 8GB of memory; 802.11ac or 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi; and TPM 2.0 for enterprise security.

Microsoft says this new Surface Pro design isn't exactly fanless, but it might as well be. That's because the new system internals, designed in partnership with Intel, allow the system run run not only ultra-low voltage Core i3 or i5 CPUs, but also Core i7 ones, with a slim, quiet fan moving air as needed without that telltale whirring sound, or a fan exhaust blowing on your hands. Our Surface Pro 3, a midrange model with an Intel Core i5 CPU, certainly felt cool and ran quietly during our initial hands-on testing, but the same can be said of many Windows 8 tablets, some of which are truly fan-free.

1: Can it compete with the MacBook Air or iPad?

2: Can you see it replacing your Laptop like Microsoft hopes?

3: What do you think about the Screen Size & Resolution?

4: Would you buy one?

5: What are your views on it in general?

I would love to get my hands on it, and see what all the fuss is about...

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface-pro-3

• Replies 14
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deunan

• Chancer

• dcs18

• stylemessiah

stylemessiah

it's the first tablet that can replace a user's laptop

Ummm, here in Australia (and i suspect) other countries theyre currently running Microsoft ads, based on the previous models where a guy is seen throwing out his desktop for one. What a fool, in general.

So the last model (which was just as crap as this one will no doubt be) was capable of replacing a desktop, but this new one is capable of replacing a laptop??? Hang on...

Please explain Microsoft.......

A desktop will always been flexible and powerful than a laptop, and by extension a fumblepad (did i mention i hate tablet people of all faiths, be it iPads or Android)

As i pointed out to a hipster douchebag on the train one morning who was banging on about how tablets were so great: "When you get off the train where you use that thing to look hip and trendy, what do you use when you get to work?....a desktop"

Enough said

If you ever see me with a tablet (ive turned down 3 free iPads and 1 Android one (i love android on my phone)) please put at least half a dozen rounds into the back of my head please and bring me the sweet sweet mercy i will at that point be craving because i will have lost my mind.

Back on topic...really are the same idiots who unleashed the unholy Windows 8 on humanity now also running the marketing department....

A tablet is a replacement for a fricking stone tablet and a chisel perhaps. Only used by sheep who want to look trendy.

Real men use desktops

Edited by stylemessiah

Nope, not right away - maybe in the not-immediate future (that is just hypothetical, though - I'm not Nostradamus.) :dunno:

No way. :nono:

I do not prefer a hardware optimized for vertical viewing - horizontal & wide is my cup of poison.

Refer to answer # 2.

I am not qualified to make a view - as a matter of principle, I offer opinions only on stuff that I have tried out personally over a protracted period of time.

For example, can Windows 7 be used on it . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . without any compromise - if not, sorry . . . . . . . . . . . . . . that sucks!!!

I have a Surface Pro 2 and I no longer use my laptop.

Have you used any of the Designing Programs on it, Can I use it to draw, or do sketches on it?

How is the Pen and response time?

Here are the prices and shipping dates for the various models of Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

CPU Storage Price (US) Ships (US) Price (UK) Ships (UK)

Core i3 64GB $800 August 31 £640 August 31

Core i5 128GB $1,000 June 20 £850 August 31

Core i5 256GB $1,300 June 20 £1,110 August 31

Core i7 256GB $1,550 August 31 £1,340 August 31

Core i7 512GB $1,950 August 31 £1,650 August 31

Seems a bit expensive, so did the Surface Pro 2...

Edited by Deunan

I have a Surface Pro 2 and I no longer use my laptop.

Have you used any of the Designing Programs on it, Can I use it to draw, or do sketches on it?

How is the Pen and response time?

Here are the prices and shipping dates for the various models of Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

CPU Storage Price (US) Ships (US) Price (UK) Ships (UK) Core i3 64GB $800 August 31 £640 August 31 Core i5 128GB $1,000 June 20 £850 August 31 Core i5 256GB $1,300 June 20 £1,110 August 31 Core i7 256GB $1,550 August 31 £1,340 August 31 Core i7 512GB $1,950 August 31 £1,650 August 31

Seems a bit expensive, so did the Surface Pro 2...

I don't use it for drawing - so haven't tried. I have played and it works fine. I didn't use my laptop for drawing either.

As to the pen - it manages hand writing recognition very well. Like anything it takes a little getting used to.

It was expensive - but sometimes I like to treat myself.

Which version do you have, as I'm thinking about getting the Core i7 512GB 8GB DDR3 one... The 4G/LTE version will be dropping later, but that's a small issue... I'm going to be using it for work, so I don't need the 4G/LTE.

freeforever03

The Surface Pro 3 seems interesting but the price for these units is very high. It would be nice to see one.

Which version do you have, as I'm thinking about getting the Core i7 512GB 8GB DDR3 one... The 4G/LTE version will be dropping later, but that's a small issue... I'm going to be using it for work, so I don't need the 4G/LTE.

I have the i7, 8g and 512.

Microsoft failed to gain acceptance for their Metro (Modern UI) as far as their software was concerned - they are now, up to their same old tricks (except - the strategy seems to have changed from software to hardware.) :thumbsdown:

It seems some people are confused to why Microsoft has introduced a new resolution 2160 x 1440 3:2 ratio on the new Surface Pro 3, instead of using 2560 x 1440 16:9 ratio...

insanedown58

Note: I haven't tried it out and am basing my opinions on what I've seen/heard/read. Take this with a grain of salt ;)

1. MacBook? For sure. iPad? No way. Microsoft did a good job at making the new Surface a real good device and to me it really is good competition against the MacBook Air in terms of what it can do but in terms of can it beat the MacBook is entirely subjective but I think it can beat the MacBook Air. The iPad argument though is err... just a big no to me. The iPad is light and portable and is great for quick tasks. The Surface? I don't think so. Its a little too bulky for my taste and it surely isn't something that I'd whip out to check my Facebook or browse the web with as a tablet.

2. Yes. As a matter of fact, I'd want it over ANY WINDOWS 8 laptop right now. It just works with Windows 8 the way I want it too and I'd love to use it as my daily driver in terms of a Windows 8 laptop. I'd like to stress however that its only for a Windows 8 laptop. Not a Mac, not Linux. I prefer a MacBook Air if I was to use OS X over this and I certainly would want to use a regular looking laptop if I would run a Linux Distro or Windows 7.

3. 12 inches of pure screen sounds perfect to me (I dodged the dick jokes there). The resolution? I'm not a resolution guy so it will surely be delightful to me.

4. If I had the money I would. Since I don't (and will not save up for it anyways) I won't.

5. I haven't had my hands on any Surface in my lifetime and I would surely love to get one. This one is no exception and is in fact the top dog as far as what Surface or what Windows laptop I want to have. This to me is the experience that Microsoft wants the Windows 8 users to experience and this device succeeds in delivering just that... as a laptop. I certainly wouldn't use this as a tablet since its too big and the lack of apps and overall "mobile" just doesn't attract me to use this over an Android tablet or an iPad. Seeing this device, I think its the perfect device for me when I use Windows and sadly its limited to that (unless I can install Android on it ;) ) but the small touches that Microsoft added to make it better makes it in my opinion the best laptop for Windows 8 and STRICTLY for Windows 8 only. Install any OS that isn't touch-optimized and this device is a disaster in my opinion. :)

Edited by insanedown58

Surface Pro 3 - 512 GB / Intel i7 / 8 GB 1600 DDR3 $1,949 US Ships by 8/31/2014, I'll wait it out to Christmas, price should drop by then...

Various Accessories:

Surface Pro Type Cover (Black) $129.99 US Ships by 6/20/2014 (Made exclusively for Surface Pro 3)

en-INTL-L-Surface-Cover-Black-RD2-00080-

Surface Pen $49.99 US Ships by 6/20/2014 (Made exclusively for Surface Pro 3)

en-INTL-L-Surface-Pen-3UY-00001-mnco.jpg

Surface Pro 3 Power Supply $79.99 US

en-INTL-L-Surface-PSU-US-RC2-00001-mnco.

Surface Ethernet Adapter $39.99 US

en-INTL-Surface-USB-L-Ethernet-Adapter-3

Hmm... Microsoft did the Core-i3 version of the Surface Pro 3 cost $300 to build as was stated by someone?

• 3 weeks later...

For me, yes, hands down. I will not buy a product from Apple.

No. Not even the top model has a shot (because I prefer a desktop with HQ monitor).

For a mobile, who cares. 12-inch could do. I was taught that Cinema's 16:9 aspect ratio fits our eyes best. I resize important photo's to that.

Not for serious work. I like a 27-inch screen and I don't like one below 26-inch.
As a minor tool to play around with, for another price, yes.

Miniature stuff has vulnerable peripherals.
And the price of the top model is a bit of a crime against humanity.
Cut it by 75% and the device could rule my mobile junk yard.

For work ,TV, video, movies, I will like my bigger screens.

Edited by Fallon