Need your advice, suggestions, coments: upgrading my computer specs

sanjoa

Nah, nah - buy just one, never mind if it is an AMD. My only concern is that you need to look at value for money - I hate benchmarks (they create a desire in your loins for the neighbor's wife.) I mean - buy what you need and not what you want to.

When you decide to buy - don't carry the dough. Do your window-shopping well and you'll get the best deal. Also, at planning stage - have a clear vision with a long horizon (know what that system is gonna be put to use for.)

In my experience, the core i3 meets the requirements of most people - there are very few folks who really need the core i7. If you have lot's of dough to blow - then, it's entirely different . . . . . . . . . . . you can buy the flagship that everyone else desires.)

Even intel pentium G2020 beats AMD FX 8350 in single core performance! Can you believe that? http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G2020-vs-AMD-FX-8350

This is not entirely true .

When evaluating the performance of any machinery, a "lot" of things are to considered.

After all, a cars performance is not dependent on the performance of one single piston in the engine !

Read here ---- What’s the relationship between CPU clockspeed and performance?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/04/ask-ars-whats-the-relationship-between-cpu-clockspeed-and-performance/

@sanjoa

The FX8300 is a good processor. Call it a more bang for buck or VFM expenditure.

A similar intel counterpart will cost more.

Thanks you both

• Replies 119
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Cause I can't compare even between Intel and AMD, Intel is much faster than AMD and they've and they are creating technology beats AMD for the next 10 years. :)

• Administrator

Intel is a bit more expensive than AMD in here.

Once the 5th gen is out prices will all drop down and you can still go with 4th gen or 3rd gen and DDR3. Just don't waste your money now. ;)

Once the 5th gen is out prices will all drop down and you can still go with 4th gen or 3rd gen and DDR3. Just don't waste your money now. ;)

I'm going for AMD now, but I'm thinking on having a secondary computer with INTEL processor. Everything depends on if I got call from my new job the next week.

• Administrator

I'm going for AMD now, but I'm thinking on having a secondary computer with INTEL processor. Everything depends on if I got call from my new job the next week.

There's no dislike button. :duh: :doh: :thumbsdown:

Even intel pentium G2020 beats AMD FX 8350 in single core performance! Can you believe that? http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G2020-vs-AMD-FX-8350

When evaluating the performance of any machinery, a "lot" of things are to considered.

After all, a cars performance is not dependent on the performance of one single piston in the engine !

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/04/ask-ars-whats-the-relationship-between-cpu-clockspeed-and-performance/

I wasn't intending to say that G2020 is better than FX 8350, Holy smoke how dare I! They are $30 and $200 CPUs respectively. So no match at all. I was just saying that G2020 is kicking FX8350's butts at some point from that colossus price range difference. It's no matter, the FX 8350 is better than G2020. There's no way we can compare them. But when you see the comparison in similar price range with intel, there is no way you gonna buy AMD.

I wasn't intending to say that G2020 is better than FX 8350, Holy smoke how dare I! They are $30 and $200 CPUs respectively. So no match at all. I was just saying that G2020 is kicking FX8350's butts at some point from that colossus price range difference. It's no matter, the FX 8350 is better than G2020. There's no way we can compare them. But when you see the comparison in similar price range with intel, there is no way you gonna buy AMD.

You did not read the article rudrax !

We are comparing apples with oranges here . FX8350 , i5 4670K

Dont derive your results with a superficial glance over the benchmark ( ... or for that reason, be it any test or benchmark ).

Read through the results with a deductive reasoning .

The user needs to define his intentions of what he will be doing with the processor and then see to it if there is anything from the options available that serves his purpose well within his budget !

Now in this comparison there are a lot of things to consider ---

Overclocking or not ?

Heavy multi tasking or routine work ?

What type of applications will be run . Single core dependent or heavy multicore tweaked ?

Discrete GPU or a dedicated GPU ?

Type of MoBo wanted ?

Newer model or older model ?

Budget . More for less or more for more ?

Personal choice/vendettas ?

etc etc etc ..........

Both fulfill different cafeterias and they do so pretty well .

But, saying the i5 is better than FX8350 by this benchmark is rather a very loose statement.

These benchmarks are only indicative and not definitive of how a system will perform after assembly.

Read here ---- Whats the relationship between CPU clockspeed and performance?

Dont derive your results with a superficial glance over the benchmark ( ... or for that reason, be it any test or benchmark ).

The user needs to define his intentions of what he will be doing with the processor and then see to it if there is anything from the options available that serves his purpose well within his budget !

Overclocking or not ?

What type of applications will be run . Single core dependent or heavy multicore tweaked ?

Type of MoBo wanted ?

etc etc etc ..........

But, saying the i5 is better than FX8350 by this benchmark is rather a very loose statement.

These benchmarks are only indicative and not definitive of how a system will perform after assembly.

I'm not the type of guy who says that, a CPU with higher clock rate is better.

I never had any experience using a high end CPU like FX 8350 or the i5 one that I stated. So no way that I can tell anything with my personal experience. So, I've to rely on 3rd party reviews. If you are telling the things from your personal experience, I can admit.

Moreover, having an integreted and dedicated graphics, you have to have a seperate GPU out of CPU if you want graphics intensive performance.

Bottomline is: No matter which CPU you have between those two, a day to day regular user experience can't tell you the diffrence.

I never had any experience using a high end CPU like FX 8350 or the i5 one that I stated.So no way that I can tell anything with my personal experience. So, I've to rely on 3rd party reviews. If you are telling the things from your personal experience, I can admit.

And neither have i . Again, the question does not pertain to whether we are dealing with a high end or low end .

The question here is -- The right means which justify the right cause !

And me no computer technician either. Just a computer literate. 3rd party reviews are helpful but they are not the yardsticks for making decisions. Read b/w the lines and b/w the folds of what the reviews, tests, have to say ?

( eg--- More L3 cache in this processor. Ok good. But do you need it ?

--- Unlocked. Again do you need it ?

--- More cores . How will i use them ?

And like so to every thing when one is requried to make a choice out of a plethora of options !

Moreover, having an integreted and dedicated graphics, you have to have a seperate GPU out of CPU if you want graphics intensive performance.

See, this is what i am saying . Define what you want and then proceed . You rightly put the difference here b/w the graphics options. The same applies to other parameters as well .

A few months back i had the option of choosing b/w an FX6300 and an i3 processor. Both are/were good for the money being spent ( FX6300 being a slightly cheaper ) but after analyzing what the PC will be put to use for, the result was i3 succeeded in fulfilling those check points .

Bottomline is: No matter which CPU you have between those two, a day to day regular user experience can't tell you the diffrence.

If the regular user is the average Joe, then yes he wont be able to tell .

Consider this -- a bank teller sitting behind a desk punching numbers and data on the PC .

One day he is made to use an old Pentium or Celeron PC and one day he is made to use an i7 Extreme Edition OC'ed PC .

Ask him the results as to which one was better .

Most likely he will say both or the one with a more shiny cabinet is better !

Getting the point ;)

Be the intelligent crow and not the dumb sheep ! :)

The thing is your budget. Get the best one under your budget. And I would always recommend 'Intel' for a few buck more. AMD is good for GPU but I never had a good experience with AMD CPU. I've used two AMD machines. One is desktop and other is a notebook. Never felt intel's fluidity on them, neither their own. Intel has more innovative technology for their CPU than AMD got. Intel is always a step forward of AMD, probably will cost you a few bucks more but will give you better performance and reliability than AMD.

Here's a different perspective - most of us do not take the software triangle into consideration while planning our hardware purchases.

As a strong disbeliever in benchmarks and on a hands-on basis, I can personally vouch that there is absolutely no comparison between an Intel and AMD - Intel is the way forward.

Windows 8.1 Update (and obviously, all older Windows) are going to be history, pretty sooner than we expect. Yeah, it does not matter how superior or inferior, they are - Microsoft is already scheming to kill them. No OS is ever going to last like that useless XP was allowed to, for the simple reason that - Microsoft are greedy b@$t@rd$

Those who've been keeping abreast of the latest End Of Life regime will recall that Microsoft and Intel are working hand-in-glove towards taking that level of development to Gen Next. Today not many folks are even aware of the internal working and benefits of cutting edge technology like Secure Boot, UEFI and GPT which are executed at root CPU level. I'm afraid AMD has not really caught up on those fronts possibly due to the usual step-motherly treatment from Microsoft.

The thing is your budget. Get the best one under your budget. And I would always recommend 'Intel' for a few buck more. AMD is good for GPU but I never had a good experience with AMD CPU. I've used two AMD machines. One is desktop and other is a notebook. Never felt intel's fluidity on them, neither their own. Intel has more innovative technology for their CPU than AMD got. Intel is always a step forward of AMD, probably will cost you a few bucks more but will give you better performance and reliability than AMD.

Exactly ! My point -- "Personal Choices / Vendettas" ;)

I have used an AMD machine . Never had a problem . I have used an intel machine. Never had a problem !

( ....... considering and limiting to the constraints of time when they were valid, and what exactly they were worth for .)

As of now, there is no doubt intel is ahead of AMD in technological advancement . And this is the reason they have more pennies attached to them.

If on a budget and someone wants the best value for every penny spent, AMD might be good .

If money no issue and one is willing to shell out a few extras, go for the latest in what intel has to offer in the same category .

Frankly speaking its more of a mental trouble with someone who knows how these things work and how to go about when PC shopping .

For the average Joe. the aam admi -common man, sh!t he knows nothing .

Either go for a branded make in what ever his budget allows , not giving a damn as to what he is buying and what the machine is capable of actually.

( ... and that is when he tries to edit an HD video on a simple dual core and when unable to, he cries all the fu!k around or when he buys an i7 just to watch his cheap po@n )

or

simply ask the PC assembler what is popular and just jam it together !

Hahaha :lol: that's a funny line. Our veteran sanjoa watches p0rn a lot. Let's get a i7 for him for that purpose.

I was reading a review of Intel Atom z3740 in context of Asus Transformer Book T100. As you know, it's a entry level CPU and carries BayTrail integrated graphics. I was stunned to read there that it can play 4K HD video with less than 1% load on the CPU. Could you believe that?

Overclocking or not ?

Type of MoBo wanted ?

etc etc etc ..........

I don't know what my budget will be. I won't be doing OC. Type of MOBO? What do call "type"? Newer model for me. Dedicated GPU for me.

Hahaha :lol: that's a funny line. Our veteran sanjoa watches p0rn a lot. Let's get a i7 for him for that purpose.

I was reading a review of Intel Atom z3740 in context of Asus Transformer Book T100. As you know, it's a entry level CPU and carries BayTrail integrated graphics. I was stunned to read there that it can play 4K HD video with less than 1% load on the CPU. Could you believe that?

:chair: :chair: :chair:

Maybe I'll use it for play some games and watch HD videos. (1080p)

The best point I liked in your hardware specifications was your choice of the RAM stick @ 8 GB each - way to go. :rockon:

The best point I liked in your hardware specifications was your choice of the RAM stick @ 8 GB each - way to go. :rockon:

It's difficult to get a singular 16Gb RAM stick in my country, so I opted for that. Also perfomance is better using two 8Gb RAM sticks

It's difficult to get a singular 16Gb RAM stick in my country, so I opted for that. Also perfomance is better using two 8Gb RAM sticks

Oh, I was not even aware that single 16 GB RAM sticks were available. :P :)

Oh, I was not even aware that single 16 GB RAM sticks were available. :P :)

I've seen them. Kingston brand

Maybe I'll use it for play some games and watch HD videos. (1080p)

If mere some games and HD videos, then why do you need the FX8350 ?

A simple i3 3220 or something similar in the i3 latest range will serve your purpose . And save some bucks too .( or even a lower model in the FX range, which will further cause a drop in your budget ) They can play most of the modern games with the addition of a decent graphics card.

Plug it in with a medium level GTX or Radeon card and the system will work quite good .

If you want to play games at max frame rates and want to clock the processor to higher speeds or edit HD videos and do some intense graphic work with PS or Corel or other heavy multi core tasking and similar then the FX8350 makes sense according to me .

Also, I'm buying month by month the things, because my income won't let me buy them all together

@sanjoa, It's damn necessary to know the budget. Tell us your maximum budget for the assembly and we will find the best for you. I have completed assembling first desktop of my life. It's for my friend. Here's the config:

The assembly is done under 19k Indian bucks.

The cost of the computer I've post in the #1 post is ~20000 argentinian pesos.

My income actually is 2700$ (arg pesos) per month. In the new job maybe my income will be $4000 (arg pesos) per month. So I'll be having 6700$ per month. I'm buying the stuff separately.

(FYI 1$=8U$S)

Hahaha. I wasn't asking about you salary. So, 20k arg. bucks is your maximum budget for your future rig? Okay. Wait a couple of days and we will tell you the best.

Archived