Spy Sweeper 4.x Updater

nsane

Should I use this link until a new working fix will be ready?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, if someone were to make an updater using the new method we wouldn't need to fix spysweeper any more. we'd just need to run the updater every day or so :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you make an updater? What programs do you need to use?

• Replies 133
  • Views 85.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you make an updater?   What programs do you need to use?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can probably use any language that allows to create an executable at the end such as visual basic, C, or even java. All you have to do is create a box with an interface, call the URL, prompt the user for the path, and save the file there. Maybe 20 lines of code. Sounds like a nice project to learn programming. Just use the language you have available and dig through the documentation.

yeah, i have VB6, but i haven't touched it in years. plus, like i said before, i don't really have the time atm to start fumbling around with it...

you sound like you know what your doing tho, you wouldn't be able to compile us a small updater? :P

...and, actually, you could automaticly retrieve the install DIR from the SS registry values :(

I dunno. Everytime I start up Spy Sweeper, it says new definition updates are available.

I knew I had an update tool from one of the earlier Spy Sweeper Fix downloads.

I then found the Spy Sweeper Updater -DVT tool and it worked perfectly for me.

To each his own I guess. It looks like the -DVT tool is doing what you tell us to do manually. At least that's what I'm assuming because it's still works.

Thanks anyway Nsane. I'm still saving the manual update.rtf file in case the DVT tool fails.

Guest Greg214

nice i got 575 thanks for posting that link appreciate it.

Everytime I start up Spy Sweeper, it says new definition updates are available

go to options and uncheck the "Automatic Check For Updates" Box under the Program Options Tab.

Before this change I had 114.552 protection (now 114.403!), and the spyware definitions were 575 (now they're 574) Is it right?

no u regressed backwards lol the higher number is the newest one (575) u should have 575 now as it protects against more threats than 574.

I then found the Spy Sweeper Updater -DVT tool and it worked perfectly for me

I found a dvt update file, but it downloaded an older master file so i guess mine is outdated. it downloaded definition v556

i just tried the dvt updater and it uses the the old 3.0 url. however, it adds some URL queries to the end which some how causes it to work again :P but, the defs downloaded were only v556, so mine is more up to date than the dvt updater :(

Guest Greg214
the defs downloaded were only v556, so mine is more up to date than the dvt updater

yes ur 2 steps ahead of me on this cuz the same exact thing happened to me. :wacko:

Definitions can not be updated because subscription has expired. I get this when i try to update it .

if you'd taken the time to read the first 5 posts of this topic you'd see 3 people already said the EXACT samething :(

@satrax - just change the country and laguange queries to &lang=it&loc=ITA and you'll get v575 :P

Hey Satrax, if you are using the EN USA version, I uploaded the latest masters file for you.

For some reason, the manual update FINALLY worked for me so now I do have 575.

I don't know what the rule is about live links, so I'll put it in code. Just copy and paste it into your URL.

http://rapidshare.de/files/8141162/masters.mst.html

We are talking about SpySweeper as the main choice against spyware. That´s OK, SpySweeper is an amazing app and must be respected. But in my opinion, there are more great solutions around, such as the Sunbelt CounterSpy, Trend Micro AS, PcTools Spyware Doctor and others. And, if the subject here is spyware, how about your anti-virus? Yes anti-virus.. because 90% of spywares, malicious scripts, exploits and other garbage is hidden inside trojans. The important in most cases (except in adwares/spywares installed by apps. eg: Download accelerator or Kazaa Media Desktop) is: About the spyware stuff collected on web pages, stop the trojans (host the spy) and also stop a bunch of spyware. My point is: Don´t waste your time using top apps against generic spyware, if you still use a poor anti-virus that can´t stop polimorphic trojans. Solutions like Kaspersky (AVP), NOD32 and BitDefender are highly recommended. Some people uses Webroot SpySweeper or CounterSpy, but still has N-O-R-T-O-N installed...C´mon, that´s is a draw between the parasites and the user. My pc is well covered by Kaspersky (also NOD32 in past). Great friends for SpySweeper indeed.

Remember folks...the main enemies are trojans!

live links are cool, i have IPB set to add an anonymous redirect to every hyperlink (and since that's the sigs for the free version there shouldn't be any legal probs) :(

Hey Satrax, if you are using the EN USA version, I uploaded the latest masters file for you.

For some reason, the manual update FINALLY worked for me so now I do have 575.

I don't know what the rule is about live links, so I'll put it in code.  Just copy and paste it into your URL.

http://rapidshare.de/files/8141162/masters.mst.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks Halcyon 467xf.gif with your master.mst finally I have def v.575 but I'm using ita ver

Thank you for the .mst file. I have tried the URL download with several numbers - for small numbers like 556 I get the 574 mst, if I use 574 or 575 a 0kb blank mst comes down. Quite strange for sure.

Thank you for the .mst file. I have tried the URL download with several numbers - for small numbers like 556 I get the 574 mst, if I use 574 or 575 a 0kb blank mst comes down. Quite strange for sure.

like i said before, that's probably just how they tell if the defentions need updating (ie. if(size==0){noupdatemsg();}else{update();} ) :(

it's a good sign for whoever makes an updater tho, we know when to make a 'no update needed' message :P

Guest Technologist

Special hı nsane and everybody Thanks a lot...excuse me because my forım Turkiye and my english level is low...I use this link:

http://defs.webroot.com/php/ss_increment_t...SA&rsc=&mst=420

and ı download def.version 574...I download def.ver=575 Halcyon' link...

Please help me...ı want download def.ver 575 and news def.verisons himself...is it my wrongs...thanks again...

I use spysweeper 4.5.7.656 english ver. not multilang...

just replace the masters.mst file in your c:\program files\webroot\spy sweeper\masters folder with the MST file downloaded :P

Ok... 've used thin link to download the .mst file:

http://defs.webroot.com/php/ss_increment_t...TA&rsc=&mst=575

As u can see I'm using the italian version of ssweeper... so I've put IT&LOC.... ITA&RSC

Before the update I had 114552 protection items (?) and spyware definition was v.575.... after the update I have these values: 114403 e v574... Is it right or I am making a mistake (which one?)

Thank's everybody

I have forgotten an (maybe?) important info... I'm trying to update from switzerland... should i put ch and not it??

Archived