[UPDATE]-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea after the Flight Vanishesd with 239 passengers .

shamu726

Spotting fake passports job of police not airlines: IATA

(Reuters) - Spotting fake passports like those carried by two travelers on the missing Malaysian passenger jet is the job of border police and not the airlines, the chief of the industry's global body IATA said on Wednesday.

Tony Tyler told a news conference that only governments through their police forces had access to a huge official database of stolen or lost travel documents that could confirm if they were being used illegally.

"If there is a problem with border control and invalid passports, that is an issue which governments have to step up to and address," said Tyler, whose International Air Transport Association links over 90 percent of world's airlines.

The international police agency Interpol said only a handful of governments from its 190 member countries actually made use of the database at its headquarters in Lyon, France.

The issue of who might be blamed for letting two young Iranians onto Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 at Kuala Lumpur airport last Saturday has been under review since the jetliner disappeared soon after take-off.

Initially there was speculation that the Iranians may have been part of a terror network, but this idea was later largely discarded when they were identified as probable asylum seekers, one of whom had close family in Germany.

Tyler, with IATA since 2011 after 5 years as chief executive of Cathay Pacific Airways , implicitly exonerated Malaysian Airlines -- under fire over handling of the plane's disappearance -- for the failure to stop the pair boarding.

ROUTINE VISUAL CHECKS

Airline staff at check-in desks routinely verify that names on their passenger lists match those on passports. "But that is as far as the responsibility goes," he said.

Carriers spent "millions" annually on providing more than 60 governments with passport and other details on passengers flying into their territory. "We are therefore entitled to expect that border controls do what they have to," he added.

In Lyon, Interpol also indirectly pointed the finger at Malaysian border controls for allowing the two Iranians, who arrived in Kuala Lumpur on their own passports, to board the plane.

An official told Reuters Global Aerospace Correspondent Tim Hepher that government agencies of fewer than 20 nations - a group in which Asia was "under-represented" - systematically check passports at their borders with the database.

But two airlines, Qatar Airways and Air Arabia, had agreed to pilot a scheme allowing them to provide details on their passengers for checking against Interpol's stolen passport list, the official said.

In Geneva, spokesman Anthony Concil said IATA was aware of this. But at the news conference, Tyler indicated the carriers would be reluctant to take on checks themselves. "It is not a job for airlines, it is a job for governments," he declared.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/12/us-malaysia-airlines-iata-idUSBREA2B0SH20140312

Edited by shamu726

• Replies 147
  • Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shamu726

• nanana1

• dMog

• ffi

Top Posters In This Topic

the fcuk man !

This is insanely unbelievable stuff that seems right out of some sci-fi novel !

What ? Did the plane just went through a wormhole or teleported across into another dimension !

Can only imagine the agony and the disturbed peace of mind of all the loved ones of the the passengers of this ill fated flight .

God be with them and just wish they can get hold of some valuable and worthy info that can calm their string of thoughts and solace their disturbed souls . -_-

A good piece of theory about the MH370's disappearance written by a Stanford student here :

http://mh370lost.tumblr.com/post/79214607814/my-recommendation-to-the-ntsb

I don't know what part Stanford folks did but much of that is FAA Airworthiness Directive

It has been brought to my attention that this specific Malaysian Airlines aircraft “9M-MRO, the aircraft operating MH370, was not equipped with the SATCOM antenna affected by the airworthiness directive.”

the fcuk man !

What ? Did the plane just went through a wormhole or teleported across into another dimension !

Can only imagine the agony and the disturbed peace of mind of all the loved ones of the the passengers of this ill fated flight .

God be with them and just wish they can get hold of some valuable and worthy info that can calm their string of thoughts and solace their disturbed souls . -_-

Since no debris has been found it's safe to say the plane impacted from a low altitude and sank pretty much intact.

noticeably very quiet in all this...Iran....I wonder why.... and i also wonder why all the conspiracy theorists refuse to talk about how this country sponsors terrorism as government policy and choose instead to blame every damn thing wrong in the world on the usa...there the can of worms is now opened...don't tet it get too stupid in here now

The USA is known internationally for sponsoring terrorism. I know that the USA loves to believe otherwise, but how about this. In the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution it says: "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted." Let me ask you about Guantanamo Bay? Hardly an example of freedom and democracy or of a fair justice system.

As for Iran, hardly a saint, I agree. But for Uncle Sam to say, terrorist, well, pot calling kettle black? Iran is a democracy now, and they have an elected president. Is it a true democracy? Perhaps not, but the USA can hardly be any judge. Some examples, George Bush, lied to go to war with Iraq. NSA, spying on millions of their own people. Massive invasion of freedom and civil liberties, even the ACLU agree with me here. In short, the USA has lost a bit of it's 1950's "land of the free and home of the brave". I am not a "conspiracy theorist," but I believe that the USA has lost a few points of it's credibility.

not in any way saying you are wrong...all I am saying is this..many other countries do the same thing and then some and i do not see the usual gang of suspects that are so gun-ho to point at america all up in arms when there is proof that other countries have indeed done evil

the fcuk man !

Since no debris has been found it's safe to say the plane impacted from a low altitude and sank pretty much intact.

or it is very very far of course....

the fcuk man !

Whatever mates ! :unsure:

Its so very easy of you or me or anyone reading this, to comment in accordance or against .

But, just imagine the plight of all the family members and friends of all those not so lucky travelers of this flight !

ahhh... Wishes and Good luck for all ! -_-

noticeably very quiet in all this...Iran....I wonder why.... and i also wonder why all the conspiracy theorists refuse to talk about how this country sponsors terrorism as government policy and choose instead to blame every damn thing wrong in the world on the usa...there the can of worms is now opened...don't tet it get too stupid in here now

The USA is known internationally for sponsoring terrorism. I know that the USA loves to believe otherwise, but how about this. In the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution it says: "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted." Let me ask you about Guantanamo Bay? Hardly an example of freedom and democracy or of a fair justice system.

As for Iran, hardly a saint, I agree. But for Uncle Sam to say, terrorist, well, pot calling kettle black? Iran is a democracy now, and they have an elected president. Is it a true democracy? Perhaps not, but the USA can hardly be any judge. Some examples, George Bush, lied to go to war with Iraq. NSA, spying on millions of their own people. Massive invasion of freedom and civil liberties, even the ACLU agree with me here. In short, the USA has lost a bit of it's 1950's "land of the free and home of the brave". I am not a "conspiracy theorist," but I believe that the USA has lost a few points of it's credibility.

not in any way saying you are wrong...all I am saying is this..many other countries do the same thing and then some and i do not see the usual gang of suspects that are so gun-ho to point at america all up in arms when there is proof that other countries have indeed done evil

I have to agree with you on that point. My guess is that since America is well-known for meddling in the affairs of others, people naturally jump to the conclusion that they (USA) are responsible when it could very well not be them. But as of yet, I see nobody pointing fingers at anybody, and let's hope it stays that way. We have enough wars IMO.

Updated: 20 mins ago

a2f5fb6a-2799-4715-95d8-57c5aed39341-620

China says its satellite pictures may show wreckage of missing Malaysia airlines flight. Screengrab: BBC News

The story about the Chinese satellite images has been amplified by China’s official Xinhua news agency, which said on Wednesday that the images, from around 11am on Sunday, appear to show “three suspected floating objects” of varying sizes.

Two-thirds of the passengers on the Malaysia airlines flight were Chinese, and the authorities in China have repeatedly indicated exasperation with the Malaysian authorities over how the search has been conducted.

The search area has has encompassed 35,800 square miles (92,600 sq km) of southeast Asia, and expanded on Wednesday towards India.

Source

Edited by F3dupsk1Nup

certainly spy satellite images must have found something|??? there has to be some thing... despite the \Malaysian government playing hide and seek with any info they have....... enough time has passed that something should have turned up by now

Edited by dMog

India to deploy helicopters, ships in Malaysian jet search

India's defence ministry ordered the deployment of ships, aircraft and helicopters from the remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands on Thursday to search for a missing Malaysian airliner that disappeared from radar screens last Saturday.

The armed forces will hold a meeting on Thursday evening to decide how to coordinate their search efforts with other countries, after which they will make deployments, a senior command officer said.

"Details are being worked out," Harmeet Singh, a command spokesman in Port Blair, told Reuters.

The Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777, with 239 people on board, vanished from air traffic control screens midway between Malaysia's east coast and Vietnam. Its fate remains a mystery and no wreckage has been identified.

The search involves a dozen countries and has been widened to the Andaman Sea, to the west of the Malaysian peninsula. U.S. investigators suspect that the aircraft flew for some four hours after its last confirmed location, the Wall Street Journal reported.

On Wednesday, a Dornier aircraft belonging to India's coastguard set off to search the eastern side of the Andaman islands, on orders from New Delhi, but found nothing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/13/uk-india-malaysia-airlines-idUSBREA2C0EP20140313

I thought that wouldn't have been possible since I figured it must have been close to were it was last seen on radar but apparently there are 2 radar signals a primary one and a secondary one from a transponder on the plane itself which was the one to which contact was lost. Now it seems the plane could have flown for another 4 hours.

There definitively is some foul play going on here: someone switched of the transponders and then flew the plane for another 4 to 4.5 hours...

Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean: U.S.

A new search area for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 may be opened in the Indian Ocean, the White House said, significantly broadening the potential location of the plane, which disappeared nearly a week ago with 239 people on board.

Expanding the search area to the Indian Ocean would be consistent with the theory that the Boeing 777 may have detoured to the west about an hour after take-off from the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur en route to Beijing.

"It's my understanding that based on some new information that's not necessarily conclusive - but new information - an additional search area may be opened in the Indian Ocean," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters in Washington.

Carney did not specify the nature of the new information and Malaysian officials were not immediately available to comment.

The disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines plane is one of the most baffling mysteries in the history of modern aviation. There has been no trace of the plane nor any sign of wreckage despite a search by the navies and military aircraft of more than a dozen countries across Southeast Asia.

Satellites picked up faint electronic pulses from the aircraft after it went missing on Saturday, but the signals gave no information about where the jet was heading and little else about its fate, two sources close to the investigation said on Thursday.

But the "pings" indicated its maintenance troubleshooting systems were switched on and ready to communicate with satellites, showing the aircraft was at least capable of communicating after losing touch with air traffic controllers.

The system transmits such pings about once an hour, according to the sources, who said five or six were heard. However, the pings alone are not proof that the plane was in the air or on the ground, the sources said.

Malaysian authorities have said the last civilian contact occurred as the Boeing 777-200ER flew north into the Gulf of Thailand. They said military radar sightings indicated it may have turned sharply to the west and crossed the Malay Peninsula toward the Andaman Sea.

The new information about signals heard by satellites shed little light on the mystery of what happened to the plane, whether it was a technical failure, a hijacking or another kind of incident on board.

While the troubleshooting systems were functioning, no data links were opened, the sources said, because the companies involved had not subscribed to that level of service from the satellite operator, the sources said.

Boeing and Rolls-Royce, which supplied its Trent engines, declined to comment.

Earlier Malaysian officials denied reports that the aircraft had continued to send technical data and said there was no evidence that it flew for hours after losing contact with air traffic controllers early last Saturday.

"It's extraordinary that with all the technology that we've got that an aircraft can disappear like this," Tony Tyler, the head of the International Air Transport Association that links over 90 percent of the world's airlines, told reporters in London.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/14/us-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUSBREA2701720140314

Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data

Rolls-Royce said on Friday it concurred with denials from the Malaysian government that reports a Malaysia Airlines passenger jet may have flown on for hours after it vanished from radar screens were not true.

The Wall Street Journal said U.S. aviation investigators and national security officials believed the plane flew for a total of five hours, based on data automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing 777's engines as part of a standard monitoring program. (r.reuters.com/ruw57v)

Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said on Thursday that the reports were not true.

"Rolls-Royce concurs with the statement made on Thursday, 13 March by Malaysia's Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein regarding engine health monitoring data received from the aircraft," a spokeswoman for the company said.

"Rolls-Royce continues to provide its full support to the authorities and Malaysia Airlines."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/14/us-malaysia-airlines-rolls-royce-idUSBREA2D0LC20140314

UPDATE [6.00pm]: The press conference has just ended. Here are some key highlights:

• The authorities have investigated two oil slicks at the South China Sea two days ago. One oil slick has a tiny hint of jet fuel, but they can't confirm it belongs to MH370. No debris was found.
  • Acting Transport Minister, Hishammuddin Hussein, denied reports that MH370 kept flying after it lost contact, with Rolls Royce and Boeing confirming that they have not received any flight data.
  • Authorities are still unable to confirm that the plane made a turn-back: "Though there is information, it’s not 100 per cent that it’s MH370. That has not changed.”
  • The UK investigation team and representatives from Roll Royce will be arriving tonight to assist investigations.
  • Authorities can't confirm if transponder was deliberately switched off: “There’s no confirmation on the signal. We are still investigating the possibility,” says Hishammuddin.
  • Hishamuddin has continued to deny that the police have searched the houses of Malaysia Airlines crew.
  • On extending their search area to the Indian Ocean, Hishamuddin said: "Together with our international partners, we are pushing further east into the South China Sea and further into the Indian Ocean."
  • Hishamuddin also confirmed that they are working very closely with the U.S. team: "They indicated they were studying the possibility of satellite communication. Whatever they have and will share with us."

http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraft-goes-missing--says-airline-023820132.html

Edited by shamu726

Why is it so quite in this topic, now is the time for wild speculation. We now can say the plane was hijacked and flew for at least 6 hours and 41 minutes after losing contact but by whom and why? Was it a heist, some say there was 20 tonnes of gold on board others think the plane could be used to dirty bomb The Hague with nuclear waste march 24th or 25th, others say it could be the uygurs

Just wondering , even if its a hijack , no group has claimed any responsibility as of yet :think:

If the plane drowned and with all the due respect to the deceased souls , a body will eventually float up to the surface or/and then drift across a shore some where , but still nothing !

The radars, the sonars, the multinational maritime surveillance, all the world's satellites, and add it to what all desperate high tech or not so high tech gadgetry and tricks that could/have/are being deployed, we still have NO clue . Not even the slightest ! :mellow:

Baffling and mind boggling .....

Malaysia says jet was hijacked

A missing Malaysian airliner appears to have been deliberately steered off course after someone on board shut down its communications, Prime Minister Najib Razak said on Saturday.

A week after the disappearance of flight MH370, Najib said its last transmission of satellite data came nearly seven hours after it disappeared from radar screens.

But the new satellite data gave no precise location, and the plane's altered course could have taken it anywhere from central Asia to the southern Indian Ocean, he said.

Minutes after the Malaysian leader outlined investigators' latest findings, police began searching the house of the aircraft's 53-year-old captain for any evidence that he could have been involved in foul play.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/16/us-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUSBREA2701720140316

India puts on hold search for missing plane: officials

India on Sunday put on hold its search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, at the request of the government in Kuala Lumpur, which wants to reassess the week-old hunt for the Boeing 777 that is now suspected of being hijacked.

India had been searching in two areas, one around the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and a second further west in the Bay of Bengal. Both searches have been suspended, but may resume, defense officials said.

"It's more of a pause," said Commander Babu, a spokesman for the country's Eastern Naval Command.

"The Malaysian authorities are reassessing the situation. They will figure whether they need to shift the area of search."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/16/us-malaysia-airlines-india-idUSBREA2F03020140316