'Microsoft Should Stop Trying to Please Everyone': Wrong

Turk

By Mark Wilson on February 10, 2014 - 06:46AM

This article is a response to "What the Heck is Happening to Windows?" by Paul Thurrott : http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/206321-what-the-heck-is-happening-to-windows-you-cant-please-everybody-microsoft-so-stop-trying

2mzcgi0.jpg
Sometimes it seems as though you can do right for doing wrong; that's certainly the way it seems for Microsoft a lot of the time. I will admit to sticking the boot into Microsoft from time to time -- I am as guilty of this as anyone -- but sometimes it is important to look at the bigger picture, gain a little perspective and cut the company a little slack. In a tirade on his website, Paul Thurrott lays into Microsoft asking "what the heck is happening to Windows?"

There is a great deal happening to Windows, and it has been happening for the last couple of years. There have been ups and downs. Paul points out that Windows 8 was widely regarded as being a failure, and it is true that it was a disappointment for many people -- and Microsoft will hardly have been celebrating the sales figures.

He goes on to say that detractors complained that the release of Windows 8.1 was seen as a step backwards. While it is true that Windows 8.1 is still not a perfect operating system, it was a step in the right direction. Now it seems that Thurrott has had a change of heart and the release of Update 1 is causing him to question his initial defense of Windows. The accusation? That Microsoft is trying to please everyone.

Is it not right that Microsoft should listen to its customers?

Looking at the combination of the traditional desktop and modern UI some complaints are easy to understand. On the face of it, Windows 8 lacked direction. It was unwilling to nail its colors to the mast and presented users with a hybrid experience that was just too much for some to bear. Things improved with the release of 8.1 as Microsoft listened to the complaints users had made. Yet this appears to be a problem for Thurrott.

Is it not right that Microsoft -- or any company for that matter -- should listen to its customers? This is what Update 1 is about, addressing further issues that have been raised. But this is not good enough for Thurrott. He would prefer that Microsoft stuck to a "singular vision that is typically associated with the Mac and Apple's other products". As a customer I would much rather a company took notice of what I had to say rather than just telling me how things are going to be.

The ability, and willingness, to respond to demands is the sign of a forward-thinking, progressive company. Microsoft took a bold step with Windows 8 and it turned out that people weren't quite ready for such a radical departure from what they had become used to. Did Microsoft stick doggedly to its "singular vision"? No, this would have alienated users. Instead Microsoft did the sensible thing and did what too many companies fail to do. It listened.

Thurrott complains that Windows 8 is evolving in a spaghetti-like fashion and there are now -- as there have always been -- multiple ways to achieve the same thing. This is not a bad thing. It is choice. For me, the modern interface doesn't work. I don’t like it, so I don’t use it. But there's another side of Windows that works very well for me, so I use that instead. Even within desktop mode there are multiple ways to do the same task. Want to create a new folder? This can be done using keyboard shortcuts, context menus or toolbar buttons. They are options that you can use as the mood takes you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with presenting users with choice, and there is even less wrong with listening to them and adopting Windows to meet requirements. The claim that Microsoft is "trying to please everyone" is one that sticks. Of course Microsoft wants as many people as possible to like and use Windows -- this just makes sense -- and it follows that their product would be adapted as deemed necessary.

Would you prefer that Microsoft had tunnel vision with Windows, or are you happy to see changes being made according to customer feedback?
http://www.winbeta.org/news/paul-thurrott-thinks-microsoft-should-stop-trying-please-everyone-hes-wrong

This article is a response to "What the Heck is Happening to Windows?" by Paul Thurrott: http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/206321-what-the-heck-is-happening-to-windows-you-cant-please-everybody-microsoft-so-stop-trying

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dMog

• mjall

• shorty6100

• Turk

Top Posters In This Topic

Microsoft had no choice but to "listen" to its customers-there was simply too much negativity regarding 8/8.1 to ignore.

I love this article which is something I said 3 years ago; MS should be ware not to become victim of the listener then it becomes a follower and not a leader - what distinguish a brand is it's uniqness, if it ends up as an android or apple, then I will be the first one to drop it!

MidnightDistortions

Microsoft listened to feedback with Vista and we got Windows 7 which has received mostly positive feedback. The problem with Windows is only with Windows 8, MS's refusal to listen to feedback in the beginning is what's causing Windows to fail. I never liked the start menu replacement (metro/start screen) and it seems the majority agree. If i wanted a touch screen UI i would be using a tablet or a phone.

Microsoft has pissed off a lot of Windows users including me and by not listening to feedback (ie: metro/start screen) they are losing me as a user. I am sure they are losing plenty of others and while most Windows users are holding onto W7 or XP they are most likely looking elsewhere for an OS. As i am sure most agree Windows ME and Vista were just fudged up OS's that can be overlooked but the problem this time with Windows 8 is they chose to fudge up their OS and despite that some people actually liked the new UI there is plenty of unhappy users that MS has no choice but to acknowledge.

I would much prefer to have MS remedy the problems people have with Windows 8 (one bringing back the start menu) than they continue down this path that may ultimately destroy what MS had, which was a profound leader in the OS market. It seems now that more OS's are being designed and many PC vendors are giving users more options for an OS and not just Windows.