10 Signs You've Used Windows XP Too Long

anuseems

April 8, 2014 is the deadline for support for those still using Windows XP. After that date, well, support is on you. If you have computer problems after the deadline, I'm sure someone will try to help you, but most will steer you toward a new computer with a newer operating system.

It's tough to get people to switch when they either see no need (because everything works just fine), or they don't believe the investment is worthwhile. However, all it takes is a single vulnerability to stop Windows XP dead, and many are suggesting that hackers and virus writers are just biding their time for April 8 so they can release a massive amount of new malware.

Whatever the case, Windows XP was released in October 2001. That makes the operating system version almost 13 years old. If Windows XP were a car, you'd have watched the odometer roll over 250,000 by now and be seriously thinking about getting a new car, if you haven't already. Think of it this wayis that car safe enough to keep as a hand-me-down for your kids or grandkids? Windows XP is no different. Windows XP has seen good days and definitely provided much value, but like a car, it's time to junk it and move on.

Yeah, it's tough to get people to move on. Sometimes the inhibitor is a fear of change, sometimes it's clinging to sentimental value. But, through human nature, one thing tends to wake people up to the truth more than anything else: being made fun of. If you tell a co-worker that the hat they just bought is ugly (with humor, of course), there's a strong chance they may never wear it again.

The next time you find someone using Windows XP (co-worker, family member, or friend), here's some one-liners you can use to, hopefully, help them realize that it's time to move on. After all, friends don't let friends use Windows XP.

Hey, I saw your exact computer model used in a crime reenactment on the History Channel.

I just heard that the Geek Squad has had your phone number legally blocked.

The Smithsonian asked if you'd be willing to donate your computer as an exhibit.

Do you use a calendar instead of a clock to measure boot-up time?

Dude, I've never seen an actual screen saver burned into a monitor before.

Your computer's so old the serial number is only 2 digits.

You still have unconverted Lotus 1-2-3 files on the hard drive.

I saw your computer sitting under glass on an episode of Pawn Stars last night.

Are you on your very last AOL installation CD yet?

Why does your web cam only takes pictures in black-and-white?

Can you think of some of your own? I'd love to hear them.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-xp/10-signs-youve-used-windows-xp-too-long

• Replies 47
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go back to XP before I would go forward to Win8

Currently running Win7 x64 on this laptop and XP Pro SP3 on my old P4 box.

This laptop came with a free upgrade to Win8 but I never used it.

One of my pre-requesites when buying this laptop last yr was that it had Win7 pre-installed and not Win8.

I used XP for a long time and I still find it better than windows 7 and 8

so why do you not keep using the same computer that came loaded with windows 3.1..things change..they get .bigger and better ...XP will eventually not be around and that is not to say it is no longer any good... but if you get a brand new core i7 with all the other newer and better and stronger and faster goodies that are around today WHY would you waste that on an outmoded OS like XP is soon to be

is your 1958 volkswagen beetle better than your 2014 BMW

but woe to anyone who wants to use win8.... they be devil worshipers to the hard core XP users

dMog; only U can make a Statement like that and make me :lmao:

One of my pre-requesites when buying this laptop last yr was that it had Win7 pre-installed and not Win8.

Hold on Bro,s Win 10 with-out the Aps-On is coming. Just have to sort out Win 9 - / 1. for App-O.S. 2 for O.S.-App :rofl: :bong:

but woe to anyone who wants to use win8.... they be devil worshipers to the hard core XP users

dMog; only U can make a Statement like that and make me :lmao:

Hold on Bro,s Win 10 with-out the Aps-On is coming. Just have to sort out Win 9 - / 1. for App-O.S. 2 for O.S.-App :rofl: :bong:

all part of the totally free service i offer ...actually i don;t really care what OS people use or what their opinions are on other topics..but when they have to tell others how stupid they are for not thinking the same way....well someone kind of needs to say something

There are Still many Hardcore XP lovers who do not like to Switch to another New OS just because they are told its Better ... Some are Traditional and they Stick to what they have been used to for long and which Apparently works for them ...

From their Pespective, just because something is New Does Not Necessarily mean its Better and Some do not care about the Newer version with all its whistles and Bells ... If not for the fact that Microsoft is Forcing their hand by Ending Support for XP, am pretty sure they would stick to it till the End of time :) :) :) :)

i would say a very good percentage of hold outs are still using older computers that still run excellent on XP so why would they change to to an OS that will certainly not work near as well as it supposed to work....windows 8.1 here but only because the notebook came with that new OS...if had to build it myself as i have done for all my previous desk tops i would still be on windows 7...but not xp

A lot of People love Win XP with a Passion that defies Logic ... I can not Explain it properly, the Closest i can get is Comparing it to the Love of Life long Supporters of a Football team ... They keep their Love and Support to that Team even when it is Relegated to a Lower Divison !! As for me, i can not Advocate for any OS... my Philosophy is - Which ever one you like you Stick with it ... But am Very sure that they will Find a way to continue using Win XP even after Microsoft has Ended their Support .. A Few had Stepped Forward and Offered to be Supporting XP After Micosoft washes their hands off it .. Thats Just a Start ... Many are those who are Determined to Keep XP Alive .. :) :) :) Cheers ...

i would say a very good percentage of hold outs are still using older computers that still run excellent on XP so why would they change to to an OS that will certainly not work near as well as it supposed to work....windows 8.1 here but only because the notebook came with that new OS...if had to build it myself as i have done for all my previous desk tops i would still be on windows 7...but not xp

I use X.P. P.C. For the Hacks and android Phone for Banking and the :shit: T :rant: xMan :P

• 8 months later...
neverthelesshello

I use a very slimmed down version of xp and it runs very fast on my old laptop. If I wanted to change to win8 I would have to buy a new laptop. Most of the time (90%+) however I use linux, faster and free.

What a LOAD of OLD TOSH (polite way of saying rubbish) OK XP was a GREAT OS in its day I still own ONE XP machine it was my "Then Monster" and was probably one of the best XP machines around it was a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2

http://www.gigabyte.eu/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1756&dl=1#ov

Probably the top Board in its day with a Barton 3200 and powered with 3 GB of Ram the maximum XP would see with 6 x 500Gb Maxtors great machine works a treat, BUT it is no good what so ever for a MULTI LAYERED CPU it just cannot handle it and since 99.999% of modern machines rely on Multi layered CPU's you then have to move up and IMHO Windows 7 is the best ATM, I will reserve judgement on "Windows 10" till I have played with it for a while. but think about M$ past record of OS's

Windows 3.1 worked and worked reasonably well

Windows 95 (a, b, and c) first real big step worked well was getting better

Windows 98 CRAP

Windows 98SE GOOD

Windows ME tried to be a work base for trying out stuff for XP and failed for most people (I was fine with it but I am not most people)

Windows XP Great system worked and worked well although the attempt to go 64 bit was a disaster because of lack of drivers NOT M$ fault but the hardware and software makers

Windows Vista IMHO biggest pile of POOH ever till recently

Windows 7 Work's well and IMHO the best OS to date handling multi-layered CPU's easily

Windows 8 Rushed out and a disaster tried to update to 8.1 and still one of the most disliked OS's by Serious Computer users IMHO made for lazy people who are prepared to let the computer and M$ do their thinking.

Windows 10 ? who knows I just hope they don't rush it out and listen to the users.

Referring to the OP - where it says the below:

...help them realize that it's time to move on.

I would suggest that some folks' vision of 'help' is other folks' version of pain, suffering and/or death.

Many armies of men have travelled many thousands of miles - many, many times - and across all of history to 'help' others (who had been just fine before that, thank you...) by killing and enslaving them to the agressors' 'better' ways to 'help' or to 'save' those folks.

I see FORCING newer operating systems upon folks in EXACTLY this same light.

It is a movement by aggressors for their own profit and does NOT in reality benefit the users.

For those who PREFER to do such movements according to their own likings - I say great - and I wish you all the best.

BUT:

Kindly do NOT try to 'save' or to 'help' me by trying to convert me to your chosen 'religion' of always wanting new stuff, please.

Likewise - I will not try to proselytize that you are 'wrong' for your choices.

It is YOUR life and these are YOUR choices.

In a very related manner=>

Many folks have terrible addictions which cause them suffering, pain and death too;

Still - it is THEIR lives and THEIR choices to make.

Whether it be religion, food, chemicals - or operating systems - I very STRONGLY suggest that it is best for ALL CONCERNED to exercise careful regard for the choices of others and to avoid trampling down others whom they may disagree with.

Anger and/or aggression ONLY promotes more of the same destructive forces.

I suggest TRULY using kindness and helpfulness that is known to be desired & welcomed instead.

And:

If/when anyone chooses of their own free will NOT to desire some offered 'help' of some sort - simply wish them well upon their own way and leave well enough alone.

SO - contrary to the title of this posting:

I will CHOOSE when I desire to abandon XP and NOT when some profiteer tells me that I must do so.

MY life - MY choices.

Period.

This is NOT negotiable.

The next time you find someone using Windows XP (co-worker, family member, or friend), here's some one-liners you can use to, hopefully, help them realize that it's time to move on. After all, friends don't let friends use Windows XP.

Hey, I saw your exact computer model used in a crime reenactment on the History Channel.

I just heard that the Geek Squad has had your phone number legally blocked.

The Smithsonian asked if you'd be willing to donate your computer as an exhibit.

Do you use a calendar instead of a clock to measure boot-up time?

Dude, I've never seen an actual screen saver burned into a monitor before.

Your computer's so old the serial number is only 2 digits.

You still have unconverted Lotus 1-2-3 files on the hard drive.

I saw your computer sitting under glass on an episode of Pawn Stars last night.

Are you on your very last AOL installation CD yet?

Why does your web cam only takes pictures in black-and-white?

:tehe: :tehe: :tehe:

My 9 year old Desktop ran Win XP 64bit

Oh Joy

Now it runs Win 7 ultimate and still works like a wee sweetie

Wouldn't touch Win 8, 8.1 with a barge pole

Recently bought a lappy brand new with Win 7 Pro installed and option to upgrade to 8.1 the 8.1 disc makes an excellent coaster for my ground coffee mug

Win 10 ?

MidnightDistortions

You still have an 8 inch floppy disk drive.

PC has 1.1 USB ports.

Your motherboard can't support DVD drives.

You bought your monitor in 1993 and think the resolution of your screen is fine.

You think a 40GB hard drive is too much memory needed.

You have less than 1GB of RAM.

You had to replace the CR2032 battery several times already.

You have to use a flashdrive to get more physical memory, 256kb won't cut it.

You have a 10GB hard drive as internal storage.

Your PC was built in 1995.

You have no room to put anything in your case or on your motherboard because you used up all the slots to 'upgrade your system'.

One of those upgrades is a cable modem card.

Another one is USB ports because your motherboard doesn't natively support USB.

lol that's all i can come up with for now. This is a fun topic xD.

I would add you are to cheap to renovate your system

Then this would make you a pretty insensitive individual!!

Not everyone has the means to upgrade. For some, food and lodging are the priorities.

Archived