(Help) HDD Diagnostics

Alanon

I bought a used semi-working WD 500GB HDD for change. The guy claimed it is visible in the system, and just has some "weird memory problems that he doesn't have time to fix". So I figured I'd format it, and go from there.

So I plug it in, connect it in the place of one of my working HD's, and on boot it releases a long and then one or two short beeps in a higher pitch. The data on-screen show my masted IDE drive, and the slave where this one is supposed to be is blank (NOT "None"). The Disk Manager obviously doesn't list it. All my cables work, my mobo works, it's something in the HDD.

I'm running Win 7, with an Intel Core 2 Duo, 3gb ram Gigabyte mobo. Feel free to ask for any info. I'm clueless around HD's, and I have no idea how should I proceed next. I'd like to get it working, but not at the risk of frying my system. It was a gamble anyway, so I don't have a problem chucking it in the bin.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alanon

• eurobyn

• speedy57

• Chancer

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the bin to me as well. You always ask WD to RMA it - you never know your luck!

The thought has crossed my mind, but I have absolutely no documentation to go with it. xD

memory problem that's right (but from a harddisk ?) can you check the hd from another system with hd tune ?

otherwise i would think of a firmware update for that drive.(if hd tune tells everything is ok)

or trashbin.

Edited by eurobyn

memory problem that's right (but from a harddisk ?) can you check the hd from another system with hd tune ?

otherwise i would think of a firmware update for that drive.(if hd tune tells everything is ok)

or trashbin.

Well, I can try. But I haven't been able to get the system to detect it properly. You think a different PC might help?

I'd say the drive is toast. Check the WDC website for warranty check, if its under warranty they will replace it.

I would also look up the Beep Codes for your motherboard and see what the error code means.

connect the drive to another pc as slave use hd tune and check health check fot that drive

if everything shows up as ok. then look for a firmware update for that drive.

if you connect the drive to another pc and you get the same beeps then the harddrive is wasted. (trashbin)

Having been in the Data Recovery business for many years & seen tons of similar cases. If the IDE ribbon cable is OK, all roads lead to hardware problem.

The beeping you are hearing is from an internal component unable to calibrate itself & put the drive in a Go state

You have a very slim chance of re-vitalizing if you take the take the controller card off the back of the drive with a small torque driver & then use contact cleaner / rubber pencil eraser to clean contacts that connect the drive to the board. Note that this will only bring the drive back to life if the connections have become oxidized / dirty.

Otherwise bin it, as their is no economical way of making it work & a drive with problems will only get worse.

Hope this assists you from wasting further time