Man Buys Virtual Space Station for $100G

myidisbb

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051110/ap_on_...2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-

NEW YORK - In one of the largest sales yet of property in an online game, a Miami resident has bought a virtual space station for $100,000 and wants to turn it into a cross between Jurassic Park and a disco.

Jon Jacobs, a director of independent films, plans to call the space resort, in the science-fiction themed game Project Entropia, "Club Neverdie." Like other land areas in the game that has been visited by 300,000 players, the resort grounds will spawn dinosaur-like monsters, which visitors can kill.

Jacobs will take a cut of the virtual resources that the carcasses yield, like hides.

Jacobs, 39, plans to hire famous disc jockeys to entertain visitors once a week or so at the resort but still reckons on netting $20,000 a month from the hunting tax and other income.

"I want to operate this thing at the level of a major nightclub in a major city," Jacobs said.

Jacobs bought the property late last month from MindArk PE AB, Project Entropia's Swedish developer. The game, which has no subscription fee, has its own currency but it's convertible at a fixed rate to dollars.

About a quarter of the purchase money came from Jacobs' in-game earnings.

Over three years playing Project Entropia, Jacobs accumulated items that later became worth thousands of dollars, like first-aid kits and powerful weapons.

He sold those items last year to buy an island in Project Entropia, but was outbid — it sold for $26,500, the previous record sale in that world.

He refinanced his house shortly after and considered investing some of the cash in the hot Miami real-estate market, but he realized that if he bought a rental property, it really wouldn't generate any income beyond what he'd pay for the mortgage and repairs.

So he invested the proceeds in the game.

IGE, a leading broker of game property, said it has handled deals worth more than $100,000, but would not provide details because of client confidentiality.

my take. this is insane and something smells.

• Replies 3
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mad. Totally and utterly mad.

yes he is insane. there is no online fee for the game and he thinks he is going to get $15 a month from 300,000 users on his side. that mean they be paying money also to the game maker. there is already a dinasour hunting games i cant buy that be much better and cheaper. and this guys going to keep it fresh enough to keep the users coming? shaking head. he needs a wake up call. im guessing no kids, girlfriend and most likely living in his mommy's house.

i believe i found a picture of him. birth year is right http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0414481/

I wonder though, why would he blow 100G on a Virtual Space Station, it just isn't going to work and if it does hes just one good businessman.

Archived