"Assembly desktop","branded desktop".........which is better?

don2

• Replies 5
  • Views 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davmil

• FreeRyde

• Adrean

• insanedown58

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there are pros and cons between buying a desktop vs building one.

Buying

Pros: No wasted time, in 30 mins you have a computer up and running.

Cons: Limited customization. Lots of cheap parts.

Building

Pros:

Pick and choose your own parts.

Sometimes cheaper than similar spec'd ready-made desktop.

Know the hardware inside-out.

Be proud that you build one.

Cons:

Need to do lots of research (could be interpreted as an advantage since you're learning stuff).

Time.

Adrean's right. Build it yourself has the potential to give higher performance for same or less $$, but you have to put in your background research to build a well balanced, and internally compatible system. Unless you understand, or want to learn about, motherboard vendors, RAM speed, video cards, sockets, power supplies, etc., I'd just buy one now-a-days -- especially if it's going to be in a office or office like setting. IMO only gamers really stand to benefit from the extra performance custom chosen components may give. Then also, there's the likelihood that you're looking @ zero warranty. Hobbyist yes, regular consumer - not worth it. Look for an 'open box' or refurb @ Microcenter and you'll find a pretty decent Dell / HP i5 system ~$350 incl. Win7/8. That's going to be hard to beat dollarwise.

Here's my take on the idea: buy the parts and get it assembled. I'm sure you can pay a guy a couple of bucks to set the entire thing up right for you for less. That removes the risk of a messed up install since you're paying an experienced guy. You can also chase the guy down if ever he messes something up. See it as "forced warranty".

There are companies that will let you order the components you want and they will assemble it for a fee. Also for another fee, they will give you a warranty over and above the warranty of each components