Privatefirewall woes.

smallhagrid

smallhagrid

I've been using Privatefirewall for a little while now and it's sort of OK...mostly=> but also quite a hassle in some ways.

For example, if I want to read any PDF file with Foxit Reader, I have 2 choices AFAIK...

Click about 20 firewall queries EVERY time, or click 'details' and then 'train' in that window - EVERY TIME.

It is very annoying - it seems to think EVERY single PDF file is a separate security problem to address.

I set Foxit as fully allowed too, and that made no difference.

There doesn't seem to be any setting for allowing files by type either.

Worse still, after a restart it forgets alot of settings.

So after Process Hacker had to be killed off and I had to reboot - it asked me all over again if Firefox, Firemin, Thunderbird, my mouse software and a few more things were allowed.

It seems to be lightweight and decent in most ways, but if it's going to act quite this stupidly all the time I need to find another light but better firewall to replace it.

(Even the ancient Kerio Personal Firewall was WAY easier to get along with than this.)

Any suggestions on how to make it behave better somehow ?!?

Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smallhagrid

• Bergo

• clubhouse

• Mr Orus

Top Posters In This Topic

Airstream_Bill

I have used Private Firewall and NEVER had those problems.

it seems that your privatefirewall is damaged so uninstall , clean and reinstall

maybe you should try Sphynxsoft Windows 8 firewall control or Bininsoft windows firewall control

smallhagrid

Bergo - thank you VERY MUCH !!

That may be exactly what I was needing and could not figure out myself.

I did open a support ticket with the company and did get a very quick response.

Unfortunately it was not helpful at all, not even close to what Bergo has kindly shared here.

(Mostly their support guy blamed Foxit Reader as being the problem...yawn...)

Below is most of my reply to their tech support guy:

I realize that in the windows environment there are many complex interactions between softwares that are not even visible - and that there may be problems between this firewall and UnThreat AV and/or even Keyscrambler, which I use.

I also realize that it is not realistic to expect developers and their teams to test every single possible software combination in existence.

At the same time it saddens me to see there is no proposed solution from your end as well as a finger pointing at another type of program altogether - which I've been using for years and which has never been any problem that I know of with other security software that I have used over those same years.

My goal is to find a combination of 100% free security softwares to keep my system as safe as possible while not having to pay monthly or yearly fees for updates and such. It is really that simple.
I've paid for Kaspersky and ESET for some time, and I am just done with doing that.

Being an old DOS guy - I do not really believe in the whole install/uninstall/re-install thing that is so accepted by most windows users, so my general response is that unless a program behaves well AND can be fixed somehow when it does not behave well - it will get uninstalled and that will be the end of that idea for me.

Ultimately I wlll be moving all my internet activities to a host system running Linux and I will use XP as a guest VM for those windows programs which I still need and at that point my security program needs will diminish to near zero.

I am not at that point yet though, and if this misbehaviour continues most likely I will end up removing the software that is hassling me too much.
Wasting time & effort on useless actions like the 20+ clicks EACH time viewing a PDF file is desired does not fit into my days; there are only so many hours in each day; and that is not how I wish to use my time.

And now I'll try to set mine up as Bergo has shown, and hope that fixes the damned thing.
Thanks.

Edited by smallhagrid

stylemessiah

Ive tried PrivateFirewall for a while not too long ago and just when you think youve gotten it to stop annoying you, it will find a way to continue doing so

So i did what any sane person would do and went back to Comodo (v5).....FREE

The definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing, and expecting a different result.....you wont win with it.

I had better things to do with my time than nurse that annoying POS,

Comodo and dont look back

Of course you could continue, and likely you'll still be posting "How do i stop the popups" posts 2 years from now....

I hope the OP and others wont mind me hitching a ride on this thread rather than creating a new one, but as its title will attract those that might be able to help :)

Could anyone tell me how to use PFW as a two way firewall only....No HIPS or behaviour blocking.....Just a firewall that will alert me of any outgoing calls for rules that have not been created.

Thanks.

smallhagrid

VERY CUTE !!!:

Ive tried PrivateFirewall for a while not too long ago and just when you think youve gotten it to stop annoying you, it will find a way to continue doing so

The definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing, and expecting a different result.....you wont win with it.

After changing it's settings it has behaved thus far, but if'n it barfs after the next reboot=> it's OUT FOR GOOD.

BTW, that is one definition of INSANITY, quite appropriate here at Nsane, yes ?!?

clubhouse:

Settings:

I use 7.0.26.3 version

iuhgroM.jpg

sqxaLjP.jpg

Thanks for the advice and pics :).......I'll give it a try...Thanks again.

Could anyone tell me how to use PFW as a two way firewall only....No HIPS or behaviour blocking.....Just a firewall that will alert me of any outgoing calls for rules that have not been created.

Thanks.

To disable HIPS components ( Firewall only ) :

1. Go to Process Monitor and set it to "OFF"

2. Go to Settings > Advanced tab > unchecked ALL fields in ' Firewall and Process Monitor Settings' and 'System Anomaly Detection'

you are good to go

smallhagrid

OK, it happened:

VERY CUTE !!!:

After changing it's settings it has behaved thus far, but if'n it barfs after the next reboot=> it's OUT FOR GOOD.

BTW, that is one definition of INSANITY, quite appropriate here at Nsane, yes ?!?

I had to reboot, and the f*cker lost it's settings...again; that's IT.

I'm considering Defensewall, and waiting to see if anyone answers my question about it in another posting.

(Stranger still, I may even try Qihoo 360 just to see if my paranoia about using a Chinese AV is warranted...?)