Messenger

apcmiller

A couple of mouths ago i delete messenger from my system. Not msn messenger or any of the other ones the straight up "c:\program files\messenger\ " messenger. You can do that and it won't hurt your computer any. I want it back. The stupid thing has no real purpose and I would never run it, but I'm striving to have a ultra clean registry and I'm afraid to delete the keys associated with it. They reside deep in the windows files and I know if i start **cking with the keys in there I end up having to reinstall windows on my computer. (not that I've ever done it :lol: ) So does anybody know of where I can download the thing and/or someone who can assure me that deleting the keys will have not adverse affect to my system performance.. Please.

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of mouths ago i delete messenger from my system.  Not msn messenger or any of the other ones the straight up "c:\program files\messenger\ " messenger.  You can do that and it won't hurt your computer any.  I want it back.  The stupid thing has no real purpose and I would never run it, but I'm striving to have a ultra clean registry and I'm afraid to delete the keys associated with it.  They reside deep in the windows files and I know if i start **cking with the keys in there I end up having to reinstall windows on my computer. (not that I've ever done it  :lol: ) So does anybody know of where I can download the thing and/or someone who can assure me that deleting the keys will have not adverse affect to my system performance..  Please.

couldnt a restore to before that help? should be able to use win xp to reinstall that part only. and microsoft website if you ask the question might have it. in the future just disable "messenger and alert" to stop popup ads

Are you talking about Windows Messenger 4.7 or the Messenger Service itself? If it's the first one, there's a code to use in Start > Run where it will uninstall Microsoft Messenger 4.7 no problems.

If it's the service, this can simply be reactivated although it's best not to as it's a major security risk (SP2 fixed it anyway) but many people know how to do it manually.

If you're after the key for uninstalling Windows Messenger, it is...

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Remember to have it completely shut down when you do this, not even running in the background :lol:

There's no real benefit for using 4.7 over a newer release however as lots of bugs, security flaws etc... have been ironed out... and new features put in.

In any case, if you want it back, go to Add / Remove Programs and click on left tab Add / Remove Windows Components. Will be last one on list as "Windows Messenger"

Archived