Symantec Hops Aboard Anti-Spyware Train

D0GG

Symantec on Monday became the last of the big-name anti-virus vendors to hop aboard the anti-spyware gravy train.

Taking a page out of rival Microsoft Corp.'s playbook, Symantec Corp. rolled out a free public beta of the new Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition, adding spyware-detection capabilities to a product suite that already features virus protection, spam detection, intrusion protection and content filtering.

Symantec's belated move, which had been in the works for months, puts the company's consumer-focused Norton suite up against similar offerings from Microsoft, McAfee Inc., Computer Associates International Inc. and Trend Micro Inc.

Symantec group product manager Kraig Lane said the integrated offering would be available for Windows 2000 and Windows XP users only and will be available as a free download through June 1st.

"Consumers want a product that covers all the security bases. They want to keep it simple and have all the protections in one place," Lane said in an interview with Ziff Davis Internet News.

Unlike competitors that roll out standalone anti-spyware applications, Lane said, Symantec made a deliberate decision to add spyware protection to its flagship Norton suite. "If you try to do separate products, you only confuse consumers. It's best to have one real-time scanner running and offering all the security technologies in a single interface."

Starting in May, the full version of the Norton security suite will be available for retail for about $80, a price point that includes the first year's annual subscription. After the first year, users must pony up $29.95 to get real-time scanning and updates.

Current Norton users can get the new version for $49.95, Lane said.

With competition heating up, pricing becomes crucial for the big anti-virus vendors targeting the consumer space. Microsoft is currently testing an anti-spyware application that will be free for consumers, but the long-term plan is to roll out an enterprise version with management capabilities that will carry a price tag.

McAfee and Computer Associates' eTrust PestPatrol sell standalone anti-spyware protection for $29.99.

According to Symantec's Lane, the Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition has been fitted with multiple scanning levels to provide detection for dangerous spyware applications in real time. It provides on-demand scanning options that include full system scans and scheduled scans as well as Norton QuickScan.

He said Symantec's Automatic LiveUpdate technology will be leveraged to provide protection updates for new security risks on a regular basis.

Source

• Replies 3
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I use *some* Symantec products and generally satisfied by their use, they have taken FAR too long in releasing this sort of tool. Every other company has already long since released their own kind of deterrent that it seems as if Symantec have been sleeping on the job.

As for:

Current Norton users can get the new version for $49.95

LOL - Ridiculous.

In any case if I *do* plan to use such an app, I won't be paying for it.

I don't think these guys have heard of SpyBot, Ad-Aware or Microsoft AntiSpyware which are FREE.

Samurai :D

It is very true that they have taken far too long to produce thier own spyware program and the cost is outragous. On the other hand though, it is nice to have all(or most atleast) the protection programs made by one company and mostly incorperated into one interface. So now I assume the Symantec Live Upade will not only update the virus definitions and small updates, but the spyware definitions aswell. Plus now there is another name brand spyware program to choose from. And typically, different companies programs have some different features. Although I think it was very stupid of them to state a price for it after the beta testing is over, when their trying to compete with other popular antispyware programs. They should have waited atleast a year before stating that it will become a paid program, this would greatly increase its popularity and would have a better influence on people to purchase it (yes I know this is funny, but their are people out there who actually pay for programs). So, you know the cost is no obligation to us... :D Anyways, here's the link to try it if you'd like. You just answer 3 questions and your email, then the next page has the agreement plolicy, then the last has the download link.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/public_beta/index.html

Guest Blank Space

Too late, Lavasoft and other companies beat them to the punch. I wouldn't be suprised that "spyware newbies" would get the idea that "if it comes from Symantec, it must be better"

I would still use Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, they've been doing a good job on spyware and ad-ware on my PC, and I think they're better off than Symantec.

Archived