How fast is your internet speed?

visualbuffs

how fast is your DSL speed?  

445 members have voted

1. 1. how fast is your DSL speed?

visualbuffs

I wonder what is the plan on other country dsl they have...

i got upgraded to 8mb

Edited by visualbuffs

• Administrator

Title renamed to "How fast is your internet speed?".

Even though I personally am on DSL, the reason for the rename is, internet is not limited to just dsl, it includes cable, dial up and fiber too. And not including them in that list will be a bit unfair. ;)

Anyway, mine is between 1.13 to 1.36 to 2mbps (different day/night times). But as it's mostly near 1mbps, I've voted for it. :)

Very funny thing at all. What does it mean: how fast is speed???
And what means mbps = millibits per second? Isn't it a bit funny?

And no one ever thinks to correct it?

The questioner has been dead for years, but this idiotic question is permanent? Lasts for ever?

Could really no one correct it?

Edited by Kalju

• Administrator

Very funny matter at all. What does it mean: how fast is internet connection or the Internet?

The factors, that determine the speed, are so much. How can something answer to such question???

Tried downloading something like lets say Firefox or Chrome? That's your speed. ;)

majithia23

The poll options are too granular .

Nothing is fixed and hard as per a rule , meaning , everything has a 'window' in which it operates .

Or

Put it in other words , it would have been better if you had made the options like

>128 to 512 Kbps

> 1 to 2 Mbps

> 2 to 5 Mbps

> 5 Mbps to 10 Mbps

and so on .....

Would be better and there are many members here that have speeds much faster than 10 Mbps ;)

As for me , my speed keeps varying b/w 512 Kbps to 2 Mbps , depending on network load and time of day .

DesiPirate

I get 2 Mbps but after f****** Fup limit it is 256 Kbps . You can get much better speeds but that needs more $$$$$. :pirate:

subscirbed to 30mbps

on www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk it says i receive 30.36mbps =]

wow seems good.. actually thought that was average, LOL

Edited by Dopeyness

• Administrator

Time and again, due to moisture and rain effecting the telephone lines, I doubt I can ever go above 2mbps.

Maybe fiber doesn't suffer from these DSL problems, but no one has laid a fiber here in my area. Might well take 10 years for it to be both unlimited and affordable.

I'm on 3mbps, can go faster than that though, limited by my modem, using ISP bug + SSH http tunnel :P

Maybe fiber doesn't suffer from these DSL problems, but no one has laid a fiber here in my area. Might well take 10 years for it to be both unlimited and affordable.

If there are at least 10 members of your society who use the same ISP, they will agree to set up a fibre optic sub-station at your building premise - takes about a week's time.

BTW, MTNL has up to 60 MB/s speeds. ;)

• Administrator

If there are at least 10 members of your society who use the same ISP, they will agree to set up a fibre optic sub-station at your building premise - takes about a week's time.

BTW, MTNL has up to 60 MB/s speeds. ;)

Does the 10 members thingy apply to MTNL?

Total MTNL's own speed? :P

Yeah, it applies to MTNL - one only needs to fill a form at their QCS (the speed is not total - but actually pro-rata at an exorbitant price, of course.)

Time and again, due to moisture and rain effecting the telephone lines, I doubt I can ever go above 2mbps.

That's a very valid point about their lines - most of which are corroded with carbon. The solution is to visit the QCS and declare that you wanna disconnect from their services - when they ask you the reason, tell them about the carbon (they do send a Tiwari / Shukla to decarbonize your line from your premise to the node.)

• Administrator

Yeah, it applies to MTNL - one only needs to fill a form at their QCS (the speed is not total - but actually pro-rata at an exorbitant price, of course.)

That's a very valid point about their lines - most of which are corroded with carbon. The solution is to visit the QCS and declare that you wanna disconnect from their services - when they ask you the reason, tell them about the carbon (they do send a Tiwari / Shukla to decarbonize your line from your premise to the node.)

I see. The affordable is an important word here. :P

Well, I did file complaint about the problems on their site. Out of 3 complains, 2 times them workers have been able to successfully fix my line (from the road side? no idea). The thing is, I suffered for 8-10 years with this bad line thinking that it was my home wiring fault. And the difference between the first time they fixed it and the second time they fixed it (recently) was of just 6 months. Meaning, the line went bad again in less than 5 months. This, in summer time, cause normally it happens in monsoon. But I guess it's the carbon as you are suggesting.

Yeah, we guys can maintain it at our point of connection - easy method is to just clip off the 2 intertwined exposed wires and then peel off the sleeves to a fresh metal before joining them together (makes a helluva difference.)

The tougher part is for the Linesman who has to conduct this operation at various point of joints.

Another important fact is that due to their poor PRO - not many MTNL Subscriber are aware that their DNS servers have changed:-

• Administrator

@rudrax: You should try Delhi or even Nepal's server to get better ping rates.

@rudrax: You should try Delhi or even Nepal's server to get better ping rates.

How can I change the server? Can I do it permanently?

• Administrator

It shows the India map doesn't it? Zoom out and click on the point which is nearest to you. :)

Yes you can, click on the Settings button on the top.

It shows the India map doesn't it? Zoom out and click on the point which is nearest to you. :)

Yes you can, click on the Settings button on the top.

Is this thing any concern to my ISP?