"Computer" renamed to "This PC" in Windows 8.1

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

A screenshot from an unspecified build of Windows 8.1 has revealed some minor changes, including a renaming of 'Computer' to 'This PC', and a removal of the Libraries feature in favor of folders.

9TM9ADg.jpg

According to a new screenshot of an unspecified development build of Windows 8.1, Microsoft has made a minor change and renamed 'Computer' to 'This PC', while also removing the Libraries feature in favor of top level folders that sit inside 'This PC'. These folders appear to be the same as My Documents, My Music, My Videos, (etc.) just with the 'My' prefix removed and a repositioning into an easier to access location.

Why the development team has made these adjustments remains a mystery, although it could be to consolidate the range of personal folders available from within Windows. Currently Windows 8 has both Libraries and the default folders available from within the User folder; Windows 8.1 could merge these together to make it easier to share files between devices. Renaming 'Computer' to 'My PC' would also facilitate easier networking between secondary devices, such as tablets.

Another reason for the changes could be to make using a Modern UI file browser, such as the one seen in build 9369, easier. The leaked 'Files' app already uses 'This PC' to describe the location of files on the local device, so making similar changes in the desktop File Explorer would unify the experience.

Microsoft continues to polish Windows 8.1 ahead of a full reveal at BUILD 2013, where a public preview version is expected to be made available. The final version of Windows 8.1, codenamed 'Blue', is set for release later in 2013.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 21
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Just when you thought Microsoft couldn't become more ridiculous, they come with such a kiddish, unprofessional name.

Again, it beats me why "My Computer" was required to change in the first place.

Another "sucker punch" to MS users. Micro$oft - FCUK YOU :angry:

Slap the cuffs on MS!

Microsoft this week said that it had sold 100 million licenses of Windows 8 in the operating system's first six months. But how many copies are being used? 41% of all Windows 8 licenses sold aren't being used!

Above quote goes to show how bad Windows 8 truly is....

this is not true news.

an article on kapilarya.com has been posted that allow to change name of my computer in nevigation pane in explorer.

it is a simple regedit trick.

www.kapilarya.com

this is not true news.

an article on kapilarya.com has been posted that allow to change name of my computer in nevigation pane in explorer.

it is a simple regedit trick.

shush!, they called a press conference just to announce this! <_<

Nobody noticed also that this system was formatted by a class-1 Moron who partitioned his HDD into the following:-

• 111 GBs for the primary drive and
  • just 29.5 GBs for his logical drive

Renaming and cosmetics - these are the only things that only manages to Windows without bugs..

Probably Microsoft thought adding new name > A new feature LOL

Nobody noticed also that this system was formatted by a class-1 Moron who partitioned his HDD into the following:-

It must be Chuck Noris' PC.

Well, I think this migh be some kind of recovery on D:

I've had nearly EXACTLY same setup on my laptop when I've bought it.

I assume that the disc might be an SSD or rather small HDD, on mine it was : D: 18GB Partition for recovery, rest (470GB) for the system.

Of course once I got rid of Recovery partition (burned the images on DVDs) I made a proper Partition arrangement...

But this might also be the case here, or - as you've said - the person who did the layout was a total Moron ;)

Really who cares that they changed the name. People are trying to hard to cry about something.

They renamed the object to "This PC" without a UI change, and went back to "XP Style Folders", the OS that haters and whiners say is just so good and everything else is crap (yet they all went W7).

Or you could open shell32.dll.mui file in Resource Hacker if you like to modify those objects, just a suggestion though.

while also removing the Libraries feature in favor of top level folders that sit inside 'This PC'.

I like this part which would be really useful for workflow in the browse to situation.

Simply right chick 'my computer' or 'computer' whatever it is and select rename....type your new preferred name for the same . Its just that easy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :showoff: :showoff: :showoff:

Archived