Star Wars: KotOR and shared memory

mars_army

Just wondering if any of you tech gurus could help me out.

I've got a new laptop, AMD Turion 64 1.8, 1gig RAM,

and an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M with 128 megs of shared video memory.

All games work perfectly (Doom 3, HL2 for example) but KotOR runs very choppy and the guys on the developer's boards said it was due to me having shared video memory, however other people with shared memory say it works fine with them but they don't know why.

Seeing as how the people on the developer's tech support forums are idiots and total jerks when I ask for help, I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had any knowledge concering the matter =)

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Make sure you have the latest patch version for the software and the latest graphics card drivers (and the latest version of DirectX).

You can also try reducing the quality settings of the graphics within the game to see if it works better. Post back with the results.

Hey Lite.

Wow, it's sort of an honor for you to reply to my stupid post. You're like a forum celeberity to me.

Anyway,

i've tried so many variations of drivers, settings, and various obvious tweaks that I'm sure there's gotta be some sort of elite option I need to find.

The guys at the Lucasarts forums themselves are very adamant about the game not working at all on cards using shared memory. They won't even begind to offer any assistance.

I just think it's obsurd. Is it common for video cards with shared memory to have issues as opposed to dedicated memory? I'm sort of an expert intermediate at computers myself and I've never evem heard of there being such a huge barrier between the two memory types.

• Administrator

Why am i a celebrity of some sort? I'm just an ordinary person. (well maybe not that ordinary, but i'm just like yourself, perhaps with just a bit more expertise on certain subjects).

Shared memory refers mainly those graphics cards built into ones motherboard. They use your physical memory as video memory. These cards generally arent very powerful.

If you play games regularly, may i reccomend purchasing a seperate graphics card? You can get one that will play most of todays games for ~$70.

• Administrator

Stupid me :dance2:

Completely missed the processer!

Hmm, try contacting the developers directly instead of via the forums?

Archived