Sygate Config

vin3e

So i installed sygate pro... too many features for me to understand.

Can anyone recommend a setting which allows it to only monitor in/out traffic like all other programs ... say AntiVir?

I remember Lite saying not all of the features need to be turned on ... claiming those who turned them all on were noobs and this caused system memory hogging.

I want a secure firewall build, but not any thing like data encryption etc, just the usuals of a good decent firewall without all the bloated stuff.

EDIT: Currently i on have Intrusion system and block atackers IP ticked.

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I never mentioned a single point about memory usage/ sygate, i did however system RESOURCE usage (namely CPU/ mant connections).

Sygate's application is easily bypassed, as such you will need to enable some additional features/ create some advanced rules to ensure the best protection. Its been years since i used sygate for more than a few hours (ie for not testing), so i won't be able to help you with specifics.

However, if you post a screenshot of "options" i'll be able to help you out...

• Administrator

Simply incorrect. 99% of firewalls are poorly configured for security out of the box and others have easily bypassable features (ala sygate) and even those that are wll configured can be improved dramtically.

• Administrator

Well, i personally would enable:

Driver level protection (note: may cause conflicts with some applications)

Anti-IP spoofing

Anti-Application Hijacking

DLL authentitation (may cause more pop-ups).

The others you can try enabling/ disabling and see if they cause increased resource usage etc.

undeleted_xp

IMO Sygate Pro has the simplest and easiest configuration firewall I've use. I enabled all options there except DLL Authentication doesn't hog may resources.

A Part of this post has been removed.

Reason: Breaks the board rules

Yeah, but you see xp, your pretty new, and you dont know my system specs TT

192 MB ram. Bound to slow down no matter what program is running :o

Yeah, but you see xp, your pretty new, and you dont know my system specs TT

192 MB ram. Bound to slow down no matter what program is running :o

just a side note you are using win xp right? laptop?

Well, i personally would enable:

Driver level protection (note: may cause conflicts with some applications)

Anti-IP spoofing

Anti-Application Hijacking

DLL authentitation (may cause more pop-ups).

The others you can try enabling/ disabling and see if they cause increased resource usage etc.

hmmm when i install mine all expect anti ip and dll auth where already click on. shouldnt his been that way to begin with?

IMO Sygate Pro has the simplest and easiest configuration firewall I've use. [...]

Yeah, Sygate Pro does seem to have the simplest configurations. All the others have a whole lot more ways of messing with the settings. :o

• Administrator

The ways that you guys describe as "messing up the program" i would call security features....

The ways that you guys describe as "messing up the program" i would call security features....

i think he's meaning unfriendly systems. there are a couple you have to get a book to understand to setup and use ports in. got to remember most in here is of many different levels of computing. though most posters are above avg compare to the world :o ei aol users :o

• Administrator

Some firewalls are not designed for the average user, rather experianced users. That like to have the greatest amount of control. I like using "hard" firewalls sometimes as i have COMPLETE control. I've had no problems setting up any firewall i've tried so far. There is no firewall out there thats "impossible" to use.

Damn those firewalls with all those advanced crap. If only there was one for total protection and uses little to none resources...

Ah the dreams

Archived