• GetGo Download Manager
    • FreeRapid
    • JDownloader
    • Download Studio
    • HiDownload
    • Browser's build-in download manager
    • Other

CreamyG31337

IDM is really awful, are you guys sure it's the best? It's ugly, the interface is not well designed. It's not free. It's not open source. The defaults are stupid. But, I looked, and I cannot find a better one. If getright was still maintained, I think that would be the best.

• Replies 115
  • Views 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
majithia23

This poll is just so unfair !

Just look @ the results ! :D

IDM is really awful, are you guys sure it's the best? It's ugly, the interface is not well designed. It's not free. It's not open source. The defaults are stupid. But, I looked, and I cannot find a better one. If getright was still maintained, I think that would be the best.

Exactly how I feel about it! <_<

Also Download Speed is faked... try to measure with other tools, and IDM its heavily bloated. :s

CreamyG31337

I reinstalled getright pro and will try the flashgot plugin. I only uninstalled it and tried IDM because getright wasn't catching all my clicks, but I think flashgot can fix that.

IDM is only fast because it has a very rude default to open 8 connections to the server. It's even too stupid to stop retrying when a server refuses to allow that many connections.

It's ugly, the interface is not well designed.

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder - I find IDM fine in the looks department. :dunno:

Need to point out that IDM can be skinned & made gorgeous (have done that for a couple of members, here - don't remember their names, off-hand.) :showoff:

It's not free.

At nSane, everything is free for a :pirate: ^_^

The defaults are stupid.

Have yet to come across any software that's optimally configured - out of the box. :)

Fortunately or unfortunately, that's a boon in disguise for Professionals.

IDM is really awful, are you guys sure it's the best?

But, I looked, and I cannot find a better one.

Looks like you answered yourself, on this one. :)

If getright was still maintained, I think that would be the best.

Not sure it would've been the best - but yes, IDM & GetRight Pro have been close Competitors . . . . . . . . . . . . once upon a time. :think:

IDM is only fast because it has a very rude default to open 8 connections to the server.

You can always change the default number of connections:-

IDM is only fast because it has a very rude default to open 8 connections to the server.

IDM has a max. of 16 connections and the default is not 8. :nono:

The default varies depending upon the type of connection in a system. The default is 8 in a Dial-up connection. For you that may be 16 for using high speed broadband.

IDM

idm-logo.jpegwinner.jpg

Note: Added more options. We have decided that we should continue on this new thread as 3 years (when the last thread was made) is too long in fast moving computer world, inspite of the download manager market being pretty much stagnant since then. ;)

Did I miss anything? Do let me know. :)

Download Accelerator Plus[DAP], this is equal/better compared to IDM. It has some features that IDM doesn't have and the only cons is it takes more CPU usage than IDM. Thanks for Adding!

i think u should add Download accelerator manager to the list, although the interface look like IDM and speed is fake but download speed is quite good -_-

IDM for Windows OS, DownloadThemAll for all other platforms :D

Download Accelerator Plus[DAP], this is equal/better compared to IDM. It has some features that IDM doesn't have and the only cons is it takes more CPU usage than IDM.

What features does Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) have that Internet Download Manager (IDM) does not?

I've been using getright since 1998, last century ish.

So as it's free upgrades and even though I have fibre optics 40mbs-1 dl speed, still use it as it scans also the files I download.

So thumbs up from me.

I was using FDM for a long time. Then tried out Internet Download Accelerator / Download Master which is quite good, and there is a free version with ads.

But I've been using IDM, and sadly, it can't really be beat. I would like to support other developers, but IDM works perfectly well, and integrates much better with Opera than the others.

I would consider purchasing it, but it is quite expensive - not the real problem. The biggest deterrent is the fact that you only get updates for one year after purchase.

Ps. or 21.7mbs download Dongle by Vodacom :lol:

The biggest deterrent is the fact that you only get updates for one year after purchase.

Are you sure? Below is the header of the email I received with my serial number after I purchased the software...

kDaiy4J.jpg

clear.gif

It will be two years now and I still get updates...

• Administrator

As Marik was once mentioning, the IDM dev needs to update the description on his site.

IDM for sure :)

Its been 03 years and I also still get updates with host method :D

DesiPirate

:omg: so many users of IDM even when its not free. :pirate: :naughty:

I use opera and its inbuilt download manager is enough for me. I tried FDM and orbit, they are good also but settled for Opera's download manager.

You probably forgot that for a :pirate: there's no difference between a freeware and a shareware. :coolwink:

DesiPirate

You probably forgot that for a :pirate: there's no difference between a freeware and a shareware. :coolwink:

freeware,shareware,payware,confidentialware,.............................. :wtf:

:pirate: get everything for free.

freeware,shareware,payware,confidentialware,.............................. :wtf:

:pirate: get everything for free.

lol

Archived