Reccomend me some old games!

Alanon

OK, fellas, with the start of the second semester I'll have some free time on my hands. I'm a bit tired of watching shows and films on the PC, so I'd like to re-try playing games. My PC is a heap of scrap metal, so that pretty much eliminates anything post 2007 for me. I'd like to get some lesser known title suggestions, but not so unknown that there aren't obtainable downloads. xD It can be insanely difficult if needed, it can be extremely long to finish, it's all cool. But please, none of that strategy you-lose-because-you-didn't-build-enough-engineers-to-make-ponies-for-your-horsemen stuff. I have enough problem-solving to do generally, I look for games to entertain me. xD I love a game with a deep, encompassing story, love quality voice acting, adore RPG's. Shitty graphics isn't a problem if the story's stellar. If you know of any modern really really low tech games, do tell. Here's a list of genres and priorities for easy reference:

LOW hardware requirement games

RPG

FPS

Racing

Hack & Slash...

Dungeon

NO strategies

NO multiplayer

NO MMO

NO puzzle

NO arcade

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can get this game to work on Windows 7, I'd suggest "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri". It was a game that I was once addicted to, and it's pretty scientific and fascinating too.

EDIT: Nevermind, this is strategy, I failed to read all of what you wanted.

what about DMC Dante's Awakening, that's a good hack and slash :unsure:

used to play quite allot of chaos legion as well...had a shitty story but I played if for the sake of hacking and slashing :tehe:

• Administrator

Mostly racing, arranged alphabetically:

• Dirt 3 (can turn down the quality for less system requirement).
  • Driver San Francisco (one of the most unique racing game ever).
  • Half Life and Half Life 2.
  • Need For Speed games (Underground 2, released in 2004 is a great game in my opinion).
  • TrackMania Nations (free game released in 2006).

Most of them need shader 3.0. ^^

Not enough? Go old-school with dos games like Doom, Wolf3D in DosBox. :tooth:

Racing

ReVolt

Shooters

Red Faction I & II

Max Payne I & II

Unreal Tournament

RPG

Titan Quest I & II

Fate I & II

Neverwinter Nights I & II

Fable: The Lost Chapters

I second DKT27 and Marik: Half-Life & Half-Life 2 are definitely a good choice. :)

I rarely play PC games, but when I do, I always try to test interesting new games, based on brand new technics / concepts.

A cool & tiny game which I can recommend to you (and to everyone who doesn't already knows it):

I can't really categorize it, so dunno if it fits your needs or not - all i know its created by an independent developer & believe me, it's just awesome. :)

Or another beautiful creation with chilling ambient music: Osmos (I just wasn't able to stop playing this game :D)

You can also try OpenLieroX, which is similar to Worms, but with real-time game mode (based on the good ol' concept of the original Liero).

System Shock 2

Diablo I/II

TES 1/2/3/4

Icewind Dale

Fallout 1/2

Most indie titles are also low on system requirements.

Man, your question really takes me back...

Half-life Series are the most preferable FPS, especially the Half-Life 2 series.

Other FPS one is Jedi Knight Series, though you might find only Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: jedi Academy are playable on Windows.

Best Hack and Slash of RPG I think are the Dungeon Siege Series. They're better than Diablo 1/2.

Best horror FPS: Clive Barker's Undying! Really loves the story, its visual effects on that era.

Best racing of course the Need for Speed, start from Underground up till Carbon. Next installment had poorer gameplay.

Sim City 4 also good if you're looking for sim building games.

Age of Empires series for the RTS, And also rhe unique: Age of Mythology.

I'll post the others once I've regained some of my memories.

• Administrator

Best racing of course the Need for Speed, start from Underground up till Carbon. Next installment had poorer gameplay.

NFS Hot Pursuit (2010) was great in my opinion. Only that it's too new.

Syberia 1 & 2. One of the best stories I've ever seen in a game. Period.

It's an Adventure / Puzzle game. I can give games as good as Syberia, but they all contain puzzle elements, that he may not like.

Firstly, I want to thank you all for giving your sugestions, keep 'em coming. I want to reply to everybody, but had to select only some to make a less mammoth post.

what about DMC Dante's Awakening, that's a good hack and slash :unsure:

used to play quite allot of chaos legion as well...had a shitty story but I played if for the sake of hacking and slashing :tehe:

Never understood the fascination with Japanese style games. Having said that, and looking it up a bit, I'll put it on my short-list! Thanks!

Mostly racing, arranged alphabetically:

• Dirt 3 (can turn down the quality for less system requirement).
  • Driver San Francisco (one of the most unique racing game ever).
  • Half Life and Half Life 2.
  • Need For Speed games (Underground 2, released in 2004 is a great game in my opinion).
  • TrackMania Nations (free game released in 2006).

Most of them need shader 3.0. ^^

Not enough? Go old-school with dos games like Doom, Wolf3D in DosBox. :tooth:

You sir, have excellent taste! It's practically the same as mine! XD Tried or completed all except Track Mania Nations (looking it up right now!). Thanks!

1216745938_dweep_gold.jpg
Dweep Gold 1.40

Maybe the best puzzle game

site: http://paste2.orgcode: /p/2899636

Because you recommended it, I'll give it a shot. xD

..you can also spend some minutes on Pokemon Black 2 White 2 US, using DeSmuME or No$Zoomer/GBA. :P

No go. xD Find Pokemons really really really annoying. xD

Racing

ReVolt

Shooters

Red Faction I & II

Max Payne I & II

Unreal Tournament

RPG

Titan Quest I & II

Fate I & II

Neverwinter Nights I & II

Fable: The Lost Chapters

You sir, have superb taste! Fable was the best RPG of its time, I was for a long while addicted to ReVolt, can't remember which Max payne I played, and Titan Quest is as of now on my shortlist! You reminded me of it! A great many thanks!

Old games - is it? :think:

Baba black sheep have you any wool

Jack-n-Jill went up the hill

Humpty dumpty

:rofl:

I second DKT27 and Marik: Half-Life & Half-Life 2 are definitely a good choice. :)

I rarely play PC games, but when I do, I always try to test interesting new games, based on brand new technics / concepts.

A cool & tiny game which I can recommend to you (and to everyone who doesn't already knows it):

I can't really categorize it, so dunno if it fits your needs or not - all i know its created by an independent developer & believe me, it's just awesome. :)

Or another beautiful creation with chilling ambient music: Osmos (I just wasn't able to stop playing this game :D)

You can also try OpenLieroX, which is similar to Worms, but with real-time game mode (based on the good ol' concept of the original Liero).

Love indie games from time to time, and you've made a great selection of them. As OpenLieroX is the only one I haven't played, it's on my list from now on. Thanks!

System Shock 2

Diablo I/II

TES 1/2/3/4

Icewind Dale

Fallout 1/2

Most indie titles are also low on system requirements.

I don't know if I'm a minority, but I find I always have a problem with TES. I'm an obsessive freak who played Dragon Age through all Origins campaigns, and I've never had three lifetimes to do that in Oblivion or Morrowind. Might try again these days, with Morrowind. It was always my favourite of the series... Thanks! ;)

Man, your question really takes me back...

Half-life Series are the most preferable FPS, especially the Half-Life 2 series.

Other FPS one is Jedi Knight Series, though you might find only Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: jedi Academy are playable on Windows.

Best Hack and Slash of RPG I think are the Dungeon Siege Series. They're better than Diablo 1/2.

Best horror FPS: Clive Barker's Undying! Really loves the story, its visual effects on that era.

Sim City 4 also good if you're looking for sim building games.

Age of Empires series for the RTS, And also rhe unique: Age of Mythology.

I'll post the others once I've regained some of my memories.

Agree with everything you've said, from experience (except RTS, I don't play them much :P).

Syberia 1 & 2. One of the best stories I've ever seen in a game. Period.

Well, if you recommend the story, I'll suffer some puzzle annoyances. I'll place it on the list! Thanks!

Once again, thanks to all suggesters for their attention, time and imagination. Keep 'em coming! ;)

first thing that came to mind for me is Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed and Counter-Strike v1.6

but hey why don't you consider getting an emulator installed Like Super Nintendo or Dreamcast etc ?

its easy to find tons of games for those too

then you could do some classics like the old Final Fantasy RPG games + much more

• Administrator

first thing that came to mind for me is Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed and Counter-Strike v1.6

but hey why don't you consider getting an emulator installed Like Super Nintendo or Dreamcast etc ?

its easy to find tons of games for those too

then you could some classics like the old Final Fantasy games + much more

I personally found Porsche Unleashed to be very very hard to control. Cars spun-out in no time, was really frustrating. That and Shift 2 were the only (modern) NFS games I couldn't complete.

Agree with the console emulators. :)

@Alanon: Thanks. :D If you are ready to pirate, Trackmania United Forever is even better than original Nations. :)

You sir, have superb taste! Fable was the best RPG of its time, I was for a long while addicted to ReVolt, can't remember which Max payne I played, and Titan Quest is as of now on my shortlist! You reminded me of it! A great many thanks!

Glad I could help :D

If you liked ReVolt so much then you should definitely play Rollcage (1999), it remains one of my favorites racing games of all times.

And if you like Star Wars then you should check Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (2005), it's an excellent RPG.

Also, another good shooter from 2007 is TimeShift.

One last suggestion is Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (2004) or any of its latest releases that you can play. It's a pretty good game with fun action/strategy (not the kind you hate, trust me).

Well, enjoy ^^

• Administrator

If you liked ReVolt so much then you should definitely play Rollcage (1999), it remains one of my favorites racing games of all times.

I loved ReVolt too. Will try Rollcage myself. :)

Man, they knew how to make them. From looking at this, it might actually be better than ReVolt! :o

Man, they knew how to make them. From looking at this, it might actually be better than ReVolt! :o

I love Re-Volt but Rollcage is much better.

Archived