Discussion about system resource usage

rudrax

• Administrator

Cleaning the thermal paste and pasting the new one is an entirely different and "handle with care" part of the cleaning IMO. If you are fine without doing it, then I personally recommend you to avoid doing it. Though, depending on the age of the product (more specifically, the last time the paste was applied) and the dirt/heat levels, doing the above may reduce the CPU temp by about 10C (just a wild guess, haven't done the process for some time now).

• Replies 62
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleaning the thermal paste and pasting the new one is an entirely different and "handle with care" part of the cleaning IMO. If you are fine without doing it, then I personally recommend you to avoid doing it. Though, depending on the age of the product (more specifically, the last time the paste was applied) and the dirt/heat levels, doing the above may reduce the CPU temp by about 10C (just a wild guess, haven't done the process for some time now).

I have seen that there are heat plates provided at the surface of the CPU, GPU and the south bridge and the old paste was pasted only at the plates.

@Filament, Installing from USB is not a big deal. The newer the OS, the easier it is to install from USB. And for my dead CD/DVD ROM, there gotta be some hardware level things to do. And, get well soon :)

No man, not the OS (which is child's play - was referring to a backup & recovery solution (Acronis) for those situations where the CD/DVD ROM is either dysfunctional or even missing.

@Filament, Installing from USB is not a big deal. The newer the OS, the easier it is to install from USB. And for my dead CD/DVD ROM, there gotta be some hardware level things to do. And, get well soon :)

No man, not the OS (which is child's play - was referring to a backup & recovery solution (Acronis) for those situations where the CD/DVD ROM is either dysfunctional or even missing.

Get it now. For you there is always a way (may be more).

• 3 months later...

Couldn't apply the thermal paste though cuz the thing is not available around here. Will that be crucial?

Coming back to this thread after a really long break - at this point-in-time, it's really crucial (buy the one in a mini-injection form - you'll get it for just INR 15/-.)

Read your update on the cooling-pad - thought this was an opportune time to post a reminder (I know that you wouldn't have bothered to apply the thermal paste.)

Yeah, I didn't applied the thermal paste after wiping the previous one out. What thermal paste does?

I guess, it improves the heat transfer from CPU, GPU and south bridge's heat sink to a copper strip where at the other end, a fan revolves.

Now, look at the fan's behavior. It revolves faster and makes noise when it senses the amount of heat necessary. Now from where it senses the heat? From the copper strip to which it is attached? or the mobo controls it?

Yeah, I didn't applied the thermal paste after wiping the previous one out.

Your CPU can suffer a wipeout if there's insufficient or no thermal paste.

or the mobo controls it?

The controls flows from the BIOS.

So the thermal paste is a must have kind of thingy?

• Administrator

1. Thermal paste, found only in computer parts stores, is really really necessary. It connects both the CPU and the fan/heatsink together. The thinner the layer, the better.

2. Sensors exist on the motherboard and the CPU (?) which detect the temperature of both the things and depending on your configuration in BIOS they increase / decrease in speed.

It's so easy to put a pea-sized drop thermal paste on your cpu, gpu and southbridge. Just drop it in the center in the size of a pea then press the heatsink as horizontal as you can and you're done.

The cleaning part with q-tip earbuds as suggested by DKT27 is quite time consuming, just get a smooth clothe and put a little alcohol in it and rub it GENTLY as not to break it! hehehe!

That's it and you're done with it. ;)

@dcs18, For laptops, the warning temperature may be a bit more than a desktop. Yet it can't be told till I apply the thermal paste.

So the thermal paste is a must have kind of thingy?

It insulates your CPU from the heat.

@dcs18, For laptops, the warning temperature may be a bit more than a desktop. Yet it can't be told till I apply the thermal paste.

The actual temperature differs from system to system (not just Laptop to Desktop) - so, the warning temperature needs to be configured accordingly. At 60 degrees centigrade, my threshold is pretty narrow (most badly maintained systems would max out at that setting.)

Archived