Windows 7 testing

bearoninternet

• Replies 330
  • Views 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your info Wyrm.

I've got a PC with an AMD Dual-Core x64 4800+(OCed to 2,8 GHz), 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz (Timings: 4-4-4-15) RAM and a Nvidia 8600 GT. So I think Windows 7 should run smooth on my PC ;) Very glad to hear this.

Have u found anyway to switch to classic mode for the start menu and a quick shutdown method like with xp, thanks.

I haven't tried switching to a Classic Mode for the Start menu, as I really like the current Menu. But I will check it out,.

Thanks for these questions, it is giving me ideas and things to look at.

For Quick shutdown I have downloaded a Gadget that has "Shutdown" "Reboot" and "Sleep" and I use the hell out of it

Thanks for your info Wyrm.

I've got a PC with an AMD Dual-Core x64 4800+(OCed to 2,8 GHz), 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz (Timings: 4-4-4-15) RAM and a Nvidia 8600 GT. So I think Windows 7 should run smooth on my PC ;) Very glad to hear this.

Sounds like you have a nice setup there shought, yes it should run smooth as glass.

I should say that I am running a triple boot on both systems

Pentium D 3.00 GHz System

XP Media Center 2005 SP3

Windows 7 x64

Linux Mint 6 x64 (Felicia)

Pentium4 2.40 GHz System

XP Professional SP3

Windows 7 32 bit

#!CrunchBang 32 bit

it was a little tricky getting it all setup like I wanted it, but it was just me being picky.

I have a couple of 32 bit ver. Keys, and I think one x64 key, I might can pass along to someone that wants to have a look see at Windows 7

bearoninternet
I have been using Windows 7 x64 since Public release, (Even installed the 32 bit ver. onto my old P4 2.4 GHz runs like a charm.) and the only problem I have come across, and hope it gets fixed soon, is that Mozilla Thunderbird, does not send or receive email at all. I have to log onto XP and get my email.

other than that I have had no problems at all.

Oh there is one other problem. ESET ESS is not working with MursuFix_2.5 32 or 64 the countdown continues.

Strange, eset av with marsufix is working just great here (32bit).

I prefere the av instead of the suite, the firewall is crappy anyway.

About thunderbird, have you tried this yet?

I have been using Windows 7 x64 since Public release, (Even installed the 32 bit ver. onto my old P4 2.4 GHz runs like a charm.) and the only problem I have come across, and hope it gets fixed soon, is that Mozilla Thunderbird, does not send or receive email at all. I have to log onto XP and get my email.

other than that I have had no problems at all.

Oh there is one other problem. ESET ESS is not working with MursuFix_2.5 32 or 64 the countdown continues.

Strange, eset av with marsufix is working just great here (32bit).

I prefere the av instead of the suite, the firewall is crappy anyway.

About thunderbird, have you tried this yet?

Ok, tried that fix for thunderbird you linked,. and it was no help. But I do thank you for the link. it seems buggy all the way around. for some that seems to fix it, and others continue to have the same problem as me.

As for the MarsuFix,. I'm still battling that one. I may switch over to eset av.

Just a short update and clarification before I head to work.

Thunder was working, but not the way I wanted it to work, sorry for being unclear. I was having trouble with the web mail plugin sending and receiving my hotmail accounts and yahoo accounts.

after some tinkering and short investigating (i.e. Luck) It seems that ESET ESS was the culprit. I removed ESET ESS and install NOD32 AV with MarsuFix 2.5 x64, and Thunderbird is now working like "I" want it to work.

I was having a horrible time with the localhost portion of the smtp client section. This has since cleared up as of this post. and Thunderbird is working great.

bearoninternet
Just a short update and clarification before I head to work.

Thunder was working, but not the way I wanted it to work, sorry for being unclear. I was having trouble with the web mail plugin sending and receiving my hotmail accounts and yahoo accounts.

after some tinkering and short investigating (i.e. Luck) It seems that ESET ESS was the culprit. I removed ESET ESS and install NOD32 AV with MarsuFix 2.5 x64, and Thunderbird is now working like "I" want it to work.

I was having a horrible time with the localhost portion of the smtp client section. This has since cleared up as of this post. and Thunderbird is working great.

Yeah the suite can be a real pain in the @$$, good to hear you got thunderbird working now.

I had a real hard time configuring ports for gaming, untill i found out ess was killing me.

Good luck on 7, i am still pleased so far. Especially considering this is a beta.

snip.

Yeah the suite can be a real pain in the @$$, good to hear you got thunderbird working now.

I had a real hard time configuring ports for gaming, untill i found out ess was killing me.

Good luck on 7, i am still pleased so far. Especially considering this is a beta.

Well I can say, so many annoying little headaches are gone. NOD32 AV is so quite I hardly know its there. Having Thunderbird functioning 100% now, I am hard pressed to find anything to complain about.

I am about two shakes away from going full on Windows 7, and let XP rest in peace. What I mean is I am very close to going Dual Boot Windows 7 / Linux Mint only. I am that impressed with this version of windows.

Vista did not interest me at all, I installed it about 8-9 months ago and after the headaches of finally getting it installed onto my newest system, it was promptly removed without a blink of an eye. It was sluggish, clumsy, crashing often, and that was during the install.

Windows 7 so far, (and this is a BETA!!!!) has really impressed me. I feel a fresh install coming on, now that I have the bugs worked out(my bugs, not Windows 7's)

The issues I was having, when I thought a few of my programs weren't working, and thinking it was a "Beta OS" being the culprit, were all just a clash of a security suite, and an email client not wanting to play nice together in a new environment.

If you guys would like to help me out, by giving my things to test, "programs" "games"(if I can find them) "apps"

to check for compatibility or functionality, feel free to ask in this thread.

or

Maybe, shought could start a thread specifically for that.

anyway, I'll try to keep those interested in my findings, updated as often as I can.

;)

----------------

Now playing: Juliet - Avalon (Jacques Lu Cont Radio Edit) (181.FM - Energy 98 - Dance Hits)

via FoxyTunes

Maybe I could... But instead I'll just rename this thread, to keep everything together ;) (If you disagree for some reason I missed you can of course open your own thread if you think it's useful somehow ;)).

New title: Windows 7 testing, Post here and find out all you want to know. Is that worth something? I couldn't really find a suitable title, but I think this is close.

I've got some application requests:

- Winamp

- SRS Audio Sandbox

- COMODO Firewall

You can find them all on our frontpage, with proper fix, so that shouldn't be a problem :sneaky:

Another question, which codec pack would be ideal for Windows 7, I suppose KLCP and CCCP still own all other, or not?

Ha,ha,ha....well done.

Heard that Nod32 AV and NodEnabler works in windows 7(someone care to confirmed?). What about Nodlogin?

Anyone have MapleStory or AuditionSea installed and working? (both are online games)

What about VMware and Internet Download Manager?

Thanks

Maybe I could... But instead I'll just rename this thread, to keep everything together ;) (If you disagree for some reason I missed you can of course open your own thread if you think it's useful somehow :P).

New title: Windows 7 testing, Post here and find out all you want to know. Is that worth something? I couldn't really find a suitable title, but I think this is close.

I've got some application requests:

- Winamp

- SRS Audio Sandbox

- COMODO Firewall

You can find them all on our frontpage, with proper fix, so that shouldn't be a problem :pirate:

Another question, which codec pack would be ideal for Windows 7, I suppose KLCP and CCCP still own all other, or not?

Winamp 5.55 build 2353 Beta (x86) - Jan 28 2009: Working Great-Serialized

SRS Audio Sandbox: Testing : Working Great-Serialized

Adobe Acrobat 9: Testing: working 90% :Testing: started 02-11-09

COMODO Firewall: Not Installing on x64 version :Test Failed: started 02-13-09

Ha,ha,ha....well done.

Heard that Nod32 AV and NodEnabler works in windows 7(someone care to confirmed?). What about Nodlogin?

Anyone have MapleStory or AuditionSea installed and working? (both are online games)

What about VMware and Internet Download Manager?

Thanks

ESET ESS and NOD32 AV 3.0.684 (x64) and (x86): Passed : Trial mode: Works with Windows 7

MarsuFix 2.5: Failed : counted down from 31 down to 25 installed 2/8/09 uninstaled 2/14/09

MarsuFix 2.5: Failed : counted down from 31 down to 27 installed 2/10/09 uninstalled 2/14/09

ESET ESS and NOD32 AV both do there intended jobs and do them well like always.

MarsuFix 2.5 sets ESET ESS and NOD32 AV into Trial mode, but does not reset dates.

NOD32 AV 3.0.684 (x64) and (x86): Staged for Testing with NodEnabler

NodEnabler 2.81 (x64): Tested : Started 2/14/09 : Works Great

NodEnabler 2.81 (x86): Tested : Started 2/14/09 : Works Great

VMware Workstation 6.5.1 Build 126130: Tested : Started 2/15/09 : Works Great

Installed fine, working fine so far. Tested with my version of XP on a VM no problems.

Internet Download Manager 5.15 Build 6: Tested : Application works fine. Gag patch not doing its job. Can not test full abilities of software.

I will update this post as Stages are tested.

MapleStory: Tested : Failed due to GameGuard incompatibility: Installed 2/22/09

Bad News on MapleStory. Also did some digging and it looks like MapleStory will not work in W7 until retail release.

Looks like any game requiring GameGuard will not function atm.

I will add the Multiplayer games, VMware and Internet DL/Manager Stages tonight when I get home from work.

I would like to add that Running Winamp streaming Shoutcast, 2 instances of Guild Wars, 30 Tabs in Firefox 3.0.6,

uTorrent, and Thunderbird checking mail every one minute. I do not see any performance downgrade at all so far.

Edited to update Testing info 2/22/09

----------------

----------------

Now playing: Timmy Vegas & Bad Lay-dee - Another Dimension (Radio Edit) (Fusion Radio Chicago. The Future of Dance.)

via FoxyTunes

You're running the latest version of NOD32 right? 3.0.684? Does our beloved Marsufix 2.5 still work on that? Haven't had the time to test it myself yet.

Games that I've played, and work under Windows 7:

• Steam program
  • Warhammer4000: Dawn of War II beta
  • Anno 1404 Closed Beta
  • Sid Meier's Railroads!
  • Ages of Empires III (and expansions)
  • Sins of a Solar Empire

Overall Windows 7 has been the same, if not better than Vista (and its still in Beta).

bearoninternet
You're running the latest version of NOD32 right? 3.0.684? Does our beloved Marsufix 2.5 still work on that? Haven't had the time to test it myself yet.

That's affirmative, over. :P

bearoninternet
Games that I've played, and work under Windows 7:

• Steam program
  • Warhammer4000: Dawn of War II beta
  • Anno 1404 Closed Beta
  • Sid Meier's Railroads!
  • Ages of Empires III (and expansions)
  • Sins of a Solar Empire

Overall Windows 7 has been the same, if not better than Vista (and its still in Beta).

• Open TTD & Transport Tycoon Deluxe for windows
  • DOS-box 0.72
  • PKR and other online pokergames (partypoker, pokerstars etc.)
  • BigFishGames
  • Pontifex

Actually, i think any game will run just like on xp.

There's a list with compatible games here.

Also, there's a good incompatibility list (for programs) here.

That's affirmative, over. :P

What he said. ^^

MarsuFix 2.5 is working without a hitch on 3.0.684 NOD32 AV x64

I am going to try again with ESS just to make sure,. but ESS is being very difficult on many levels in Windows 7

PsychoticxBloodxLust

the latest of nod32x64 with nodlogin9.7 is working fine i just did a step install from the second to last stable version

Testing Updates Post

I have made some corrections and updates to my Post (Link above)

Green Text = Great

Orange Text=Observing over time, can't jump to a quick conclusion.

MX518 Logitech Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse - Software installed last night. Mouse functions all seem to be working fine without any Problems.

I used the Vista X64 Drivers: Setpoint v4.70

EDIT: Cool! I just Stepped off the n00b bus and on to the Member Train with this post :blink:

----------------

Now playing: Kim Sozzi - Feel Your Love (Fusion Radio Chicago. The Future of Dance.)

via FoxyTunes

Hehe, great job :blink:

I've also got a Logitech mouse, so thanks for that!

Don't worry about the Marsufix, the lowest I have seen it go at my house is 27, but I can assure you it'll never reach 10 or anything :lol: (Unless if it isn't working of course)

bearoninternet
EDIT: Cool! I just Stepped off the n00b bus and on to the Member Train with this post :lol:

Hello member, goodbye n00b. :blink:

EDIT: Cool! snip

Hello member, goodbye n00b. :)

Thanks bearoninternet

Well looks Like I jumped the gun earlier by saying that NOD32 AV with MursuFix 2.5 was working great.

It's not.

It continues to count down in Windows 7, while it stays at 30-31 in XP. I also ran a quick test by Installing Vista(bleh)x64 SP1 on a third PC, single boot, only Vista with full installation, NOD32 AV and MarsuFix 2.5 and well, it worked on Vista 30-31 days over 2+ days of testing. (after MarsuFix kicked in, the count was 30 days, and on the second day after start up it was 31.)

I will go to the next step and try NodEnabler later this weekend. I have a busy weekend ahead of me and I really want to test more programs on Win7.

I added to my Test list Adobe Acrobat 9, and it doesn't completely work for me. The Software seems to view and save pdf's without problems,. but Win7 does not seem to let it set up a printer to print to PDF. I think it may have something to due with Windows 7 having its own kind of Software printer, the XPS Document Printer that sets up automatically when you install Win7. XPS printer looks nice,. but it is definitely not as good as working with PDF's.

I installed Acrobat on Win7 and XP, and it works flawlessly on XP.

I am adding the Acrobat testing info to my Testing Updates Post here

----------------

Now playing: Energy Club House - Bit Error (181.FM - Energy 98 - Dance Hits)

via FoxyTunes

2/15/09 Testing Updates in my Post here

In my last post, (above) I stated that Adobe Acrobat 9.0 wasn't working for me. Well is wasn't quite working on Windows 7 (x64). I plan on trying again and watching what I do more closely. I don't see why it didn't work right.

Testing on Windows 7 (x86) everything installed correctly and it works fine, also pretty fast.

Just finished installing VMWare and about to reboot the PC to complete installation and begin testing.

After installing NodEnabler onto both Test PC's running Windows 7 (x86) & x(64), I'm all set. I will be observing this install for the next two weeks and I will report anything out of the ordinary. I like how NodEnabler set my license until date on both machines to 4/20/2009, just thought it was funny.

I was disappointed that Comodo Firewall would not install. It would be nice to see if it might work for someone else. I have not ran Comodo FW on the (x86) machine, I plan on doing that test soon.

On Saturday, I downloaded some wallpapers from one of my favorite Pittsburgh Steelers websites, and made my own desktop theme with wallpaper rotation. the customizations you can do on Windows 7 without third party software is really nice.

If anyone would like for me to give a program a quick run through on either versions of Windows 7. just let me know, because I am having a great time testing this :frusty:

I can hardly wait for the RC if they release one. Hell I can't wait for the Full Retail Release now.

Disclaimer: I have been for many years the worlds biggest XP supporter. and testing out W7 makes me feel like I am cheating, for the last week I have only booted into XP once, and that was this morning just to say hello :)

----------------

Now playing: BT - Simply Being Loved (Somnambulist) (Radio Edit) (181.FM - Energy 98 - Dance Hits)

via FoxyTunes

Oh 7022!

I couldn't find a (x64) version out there yet, but I think I'll go grab the (x86) ver. at least.

Thanks Lee for the heads up. Been so busy testing I didn't even think to check for spilled verions. I guess I was waiting for it to auto update :) :frusty:

Archived