[Solved] New HP Envy dv7255dx

Knightmare

I mentioned somewhere in these pages that the writing is on the wall for Windows 7 - did not realize that the moment would arrive so soon.

Systems are being rolled out pre-installed with Windows 8, but - without supported drivers for Windows 7 (in fact, no other OS is supported.) :(

• Replies 70
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of my settings look weird, but I'm hoping the updates will fix that. By weird, in the power settings that tell the computer what to do when I close the lid, there is no option for sleep and the field is blank. In the advanced options, there is no setting to dim the display or sleep; the only option is to turn off the display.

That's because Windows 8 has made some pathbreaking advancements in the Hybrid Sleep department - Windows 7 does not figure in that technology and hence those Windows 8 drivers are drawing a blank in that functionality (perfectly understandable.)

Okay, the settings are normally, all of my drivers installed successfully. I think that I'm good to go from here. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Thank you, too Knightmare - would have never thought of upgrading to UEFI, but for this thread. :)

For me, it made things difficult, but if you like it, more power to ya.

Well it looks like the HDD in my system is dying. The settings for my programs won't save and it's making a grinding noise. :sui:

Is this the new laptop you're referring to? :wtf:

Yep. I'm pretty upset to say the least. Can't send it back because I put Windows 7 on it.

Well it looks like the HDD in my system is dying. The settings for my programs won't save and it's making a grinding noise. :sui:

Did you encrypt the drive, by mistake. :think:

Did you encrypt the drive, by mistake. :think:
No. It was making noise too. My spin up value is 177.

Is this the new laptop you're referring to? :wtf:

Yep. I'm pretty upset to say the least. Can't send it back because I put Windows 7 on it.
Don't worry about that - we can always re-install Windows 8 (just to qualify it for a RMA.)

I'm not a huge fan of the HDD anyway, so I can just buy a better one.

EDIT: Found a solution to my problem--don't know if it's temporary or permanent: I turned off my system restore and it works fine now. Don't know why my computer doesn't like system restore but I don't care. If that's how it has to be, then that's how it has to be.

Okay, one last paranoid thing: if you go to Start, right-click Computer, and go click on Manage, does the position of the window save if you move it, close it, then reopen it?

EDIT: Found a solution to my problem--don't know if it's temporary or permanent: I turned off my system restore and it works fine now. Don't know why my computer doesn't like system restore but I don't care. If that's how it has to be, then that's how it has to be.

Not at all surprising - you can check here and also, here!!!

Okay, one last paranoid thing: if you go to Start, right-click Computer, and go click on Manage, does the position of the window save if you move it, close it, then reopen it?

Nope, not by default.

Wow! It's just one problem after the next. Now the wireless network is not showing up on my list of available networks. I looked on the computer with the router and it looks like the password for the router has been removed and the name of the network has been changed. Is this just a simple fix of going into the router settings and changing everything back to normal? If so, how do I find the IP address to get into the router? Isn't the default usually 192.168.1.1?

Now the wireless network is not showing up on my list of available networks.

I'd upgrade the BIOS. ;)

Isn't the default usually 192.168.1.1?

Righto.

Now the wireless network is not showing up on my list of available networks.

I'd upgrade the BIOS. ;)
Very funny. :P

I fixed my problem though. Just hate to restart the router/computer. I did both; not sure which one fixed the issue. I hate when the solution is that simple.

Go through any BIOS forums and you'll be surprised to learn that (mice, keyboards and networking) functions are dictated at BIOS level.

Go through any BIOS forums and you'll be surprised to learn that (mice, keyboards and networking) functions are dictated at BIOS level.
Well I tested it on my old computer and it still wouldn't work. So I know it wasn't something with the computer.

Archived