• Replies 70
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
unknownasphyxiated

Thanks! What do I do about the drivers?

^ Well I guess I'm on my own then.

:lol:

i've tried using win 7 driver in win 8 and it worked perfectly except for gpu and audio only(for my laptop only,i don't know other laptop) which i need to use generic driver from nvidia

i don't know if win 8 driver can be use in win 7 because obviously i don't have win 8 laptop/driver to test

try install win 8 driver first..if its not compatible, then use driver genius pro to find the suitable driver

for utilities application that come with win 8,i think it is compatible with win 7 unless it has os check

i don't know if win 8 driver can be use in win 7 because obviously i don't have win 8 laptop/driver to test

try install win 8 driver first..if its not compatible, then use driver genius pro to find the suitable driver

for utilities application that come with win 8,i think it is compatible with win 7 unless it has os check

I did try using Driverpack Solution with no luck. It was unable to find the correct drivers. I will try Driver Genius Pro.

• Administrator

Drivers should work fine. Just fool/bypass the installer.

Two ways to do it.

1. Make Device Manager search the folder where you have extracted the drivers.

2. Go into the drivers extracted folder, click on Setup.exe or something, doesn't work? Shows it's not made for this system? No problem. Inside that folder, there will be another folder named "Driver" or "Drivers" run the setup.exe that is inside it.

Two ways to do it.

2. Go into the drivers extracted folder, click on Setup.exe or something, doesn't work? Shows it's not made for this system? No problem. Inside that folder, there will be another folder named "Driver" or "Drivers" run the setup.exe that is inside it.

Are you talking about on my Windows 7 installation CD?

With Windows 7, you don't have to worry too much about drivers - it's carries within itself plenty of them (JFTR, Window 8 carries more drivers than Windows 7.) I generally find that I have to perform driver installation for just the audio, graphics card display and the Intel Chipset Device Software.

Please note UEFI is compatible with only x64-bit - not x32-bit.

I have heard that UEFI slows boot time down a bit..is that true?

With Windows 7, you don't have to worry too much about drivers - it's carries within itself plenty of them (JFTR, Window 8 carries more drivers than Windows 7.) I generally find that I have to perform driver installation for just the audio, graphics card display and the Intel Chipset Device Software.

I'm missing all of my drivers: mouse, graphics, network, and wireless! I wonder if I just install the wireless driver, will Windows Update find the rest? :think:

I know that HP doesn't support my drivers anymore, but do the driver updates from Windows Update come from the HP website or elsewhere?

Please note UEFI is compatible with only x64-bit - not x32-bit.

I have heard that UEFI slows boot time down a bit..is that true?
Nope, not true at all - I'm using it and to the contrary, the boot-time is perceptibly quicker (folks might want to use the newly acquired word - placebo.)

Just bought a new computer and it has Windows 8 on it.

I know that HP doesn't support my drivers anymore,

Hey, that's unbelievable. :think:

Edit:-

Please verify whether the following drivers are applicable to your particular system:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5327924#N186

Just bought a new computer and it has Windows 8 on it.

I know that HP doesn't support my drivers anymore,

Hey, that's unbelievable. :think:

Edit:-

Please verify whether the following drivers are applicable to your particular system:

http://h10025.www1.h...ct=5327924#N186

You mean, install them and see if they work? You do know that I have Windows 7, not 8, right? The only OS in the drop down menu is Windows 8.

• Administrator

Two ways to do it.

Are you talking about on my Windows 7 installation CD?

Nope. I'm talking about individual driver packages.

I know that HP doesn't support my drivers anymore, but do the driver updates from Windows Update come from the HP website or elsewhere?

Now, I can relate to what you were trying to say - just verified that HP has published drivers only for Windows 8 (that's idiotic.) :angry:

However, I believe that those same ( Windows 8 ) drivers will certainly work with your Windows 7, too - maybe you can test this by an installation with any one single downloaded driver of your choice.

Now, I can relate to what you were trying to say - just verified that HP has published drivers only for Windows 8 (that's idiotic.) :angry:

However, I believe that those same ( Windows 8 ) drivers will certainly work with your Windows 7, too - maybe you can test this by an installation with any one single downloaded driver of your choice.

What are you basing this belief on? I'll try it when I get home. I just don't want it to do any permanent damage.

What are you basing this belief on? I'll try it when I get home. I just don't want it to do any permanent damage.

When I was using Windows 7, the latest releases of COMODO were meant only for Windows 8, yet - when I installed the same on Windows 7, I had not found it detrimental in any way.

The only way to find out is to try it out - remember the joy UEFI brought to my computing life. :)

If you're scared, you can use the backup option of your choice - I'm afraid as far as the drivers are concerned, you don't have any. :(

When I was using Windows 7, the latest releases of COMODO were meant only for Windows 8, yet - when I installed the same on Windows 7, I had not found it detrimental in any way.

The only way to find out is to try it out - remember the joy UEFI brought to my computing life. :)

If you're scared, you can use the backup option of your choice - I'm afraid as far as the drivers are concerned, you don't have any. :(

I found this. I know that the driver for Windows 8 is Ralink 5.0.5.0. Does the driver have to be the right version, or does it just have to be from the same provider (Ralink)?

Grab the latest available version - the make (Ralink) is important.

But the latest version is for Windows 8.

Try it out (I already have) - it will take to Windows 7 (like fish to water) Windows 8 is just another implementation of Windows 7. ;)

Try it out (I already have) - it will take to Windows 7 (like fish to water) Windows 8 is just another implementation of Windows 7. ;)
So should I just get it from HP website?

So far, so good. The latest version of the wireless driver install successfully. I'm downloading updates now. Some of my settings look weird, but I'm hoping the updates will fix that. By weird, in the power settings that tell the computer what to do when I close the lid, there is no option for sleep and the field is blank. In the advanced options, there is no setting to dim the display or sleep; the only option is to turn off the display.

• Administrator

So far, so good. The latest version of the wireless driver install successfully. I'm downloading updates now. Some of my settings look weird, but I'm hoping the updates will fix that. By weird, in the power settings that tell the computer what to do when I close the lid, there is no option for sleep and the field is blank. In the advanced options, there is no setting to dim the display or sleep; the only option is to turn off the display.

I've never owned a laptop, and my information in it is very limited, but I do believe all the things you are asking for are directly connected to the drivers. Graphics drivers too might play a big role.

I've never owned a laptop, and my information in it is very limited, but I do believe all the things you are asking for are directly connected to the drivers. Graphics drivers too might play a big role.

That's what I read. I'm hoping that when the computer restarts to fully install the graphics driver that everything will be normal. By the way, would an incompatible driver make the computer give a disk read error? I do remember that when I installed Daz Loader, I also installed a network driver. I thought that the loader was the issue, but the readme says that if I formatted the whole drive (which I did) that it should work fine.

Archived