[Solved] New HP Envy dv7255dx

Knightmare

• Replies 70
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, it's not wise to downgrade/upgrade - with special reference to an OS (it's a one way ticket to hell.) :(

Windows 8 is hell! There is no safe mode! If I get a virus, I'm screwed; and not every antivirus is going to protect against every single threat, so don't tell me to get a good AV.

I was kind of hoping to do it myself. I don't want to pay a company anymore than I have to.

Windows 8 is hell!

I have no interjections against that - was pissed off with Windows 8, myself (until I cohabited with it for some more time.) 8)

There is no safe mode!

That's a myth - the truth is that most folks have little idea how to boot into a Windows 8 Safe Mode. The issue is that those folks go by hearsay and talk the talk but neglect to walk the walk. :(

If I get a virus, I'm screwed; and not every antivirus is going to protect against every single threat, so don't tell me to get a good AV.

I don't believe in an AV - nonetheless, you'll never see me complaining of infections. ;)

I was kind of hoping to do it myself. I don't want to pay a company anymore than I have to.

Remember the Nike bottom-line. :)

IMHO, it's not wise to downgrade/upgrade - with special reference to an OS (it's a one way ticket to hell.) :(

It seems you misinterpreted what I said - I'm saying never perform an over-install (downgrade/upgrade.) It means that whatever OS you're fine with, go ahead, but - with a clean re-install. ;)

Okay, so delete all of the partitions and install it that way? I did notice that there is a partition called UEFI. If I delete that, what will happen?

Yeah, you can delete all the partitions and then make a clean install of the Windows 7. I'd retain the UEFI partition until the warranty lasts - and hey wait a moment, I suspect that partition is the hotbed for your new BIOS (better don't delete that.)

Yeah, you can delete all the partitions and then make a clean install of the Windows 7. I'd retain the UEFI partition until the warranty lasts - and hey wait a moment, I suspect that partition is the hotbed for your new BIOS (better don't delete that.)

But if I keep this BIOS, I won't be able to activate Windows 7. Wouldn't deleting the UEFI make my BIOS go back to normal?

I honestly have never come across this situation and would not like to place your brand new system in a compromising state - you could however execute a dry run without deleting the UEFI partition and then cross-check for activation. Report back, please.

I honestly have never come across this situation and would not like to place your brand new system in a compromising state - you could however execute a dry run without deleting the UEFI partition and then cross-check for activation. Report back, please.

What is the UEFI partition? From what I've read, it's just an extension to the BIOS.

Have never laid hands on a system with UEFI partition.

I suppose it's peculiar to very the latest systems that come pre-installed with Windows 8. :think:

Edit:-

I suspect it got something to do with this post.

I don't know if this site is an answer to my problem or not. It seems like a good idea, but it also seems like a lot of work.

EDIT: Just made a Windows 7 installation disc and the computer complains that it cannot read the CD.

EDIT: Just made a Windows 7 installation disc and the computer complains that it cannot read the CD.

Is there any other system on which you can test that Windows 7 installation disc - just for troubleshooting and to identify the culprit.

I just have an hunch and it's a wild one.

Can you pop your Windows 7 installation DVD into the drive and then instead of trying to boot from the CD/DVD ROM, exercise the boot options (for example by pressing F12) when the Boot Options show up, check whether you see an UEFI option - if yes, skip it and the non-UEFI should be able to detect read your Windows 7 installation fine.

There is no option to press anything when the computer boots. It just has the HP symbol and a spinning thing, then the computer boots into Windows 8.

Hey, I just upgraded my BIOS from Legacy to UEFI and oh boy is it kick-ass!!! :rockon:

There is no option to press anything when the computer boots. It just has the HP symbol and a spinning thing, then the computer boots into Windows 8.

You know what I meant was to un-select the UEFI option at the Boot Order - my Gigabyte requires F12 as the key-press for Boot Order choice just as soon as the very first screen comes up upon starting the system. Dunno why I suspect your motherboard is Gigabyte, too. :think:

unknownasphyxiated

Windows 8 is hell! There is no safe mode! If I get a virus, I'm screwed; and not every antivirus is going to protect against every single threat, so don't tell me to get a good AV.

Win 8 Safe Mode

act i just want to highlight this from the link that i've provided

HP told ZDNet that Windows 8 computers would still be protected by warranty in case the user decides to move to an older Windows version or even Linux, but the company won’t provide any driver for the installed operating system.

This means that once you downgrade or deploy any other operating system beside Windows 8, you’re on your own. There are plenty of drivers out there on the Internet, but those delivered by HP are obviously the ones you’re recommended to install.

^ Well I guess I'm on my own then. I removed all of the partitions and got Windows 7 to install. I successfully installed it, but when I ran Daz Loader, I got a disk read error when the computer tried to boot again. This doesn't look good. :(

Archived