Xvid.

Guest Classified

Guest Classified

Hi... couldn't find where else to put this, but anyway... everytime I download an Xvid movie file it always seems to be in slow motion. At first, I thought it was some dickhead who can't copy correctly, but then everytime I get hold of an xvid file, it just plays in slow motion. So i'm just wondering wether you can tell me how this occurs and wether I can do anything about it. I use K-lite Mega Codec pack with the media player classic that comes with it. On the contrary... other movie files such as M-peg ect ect play fine. Thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Classified

It's happened with K-lite mega codec pack ever since I used it, right back to 1.29, so i guess it's not a uninstall issue. If it is an issue of half speed, as samurai mentioned, is it possible you can tell me where to correct this in media player classic, thanks.

try checking your xvid settings directly...

Start > Programs > K-Lite Codec Pack > Configuration > XviD decoding

...and make sure all boxes are unchecked (hit the reset button). also try running AVI Fixed thing under the Tools menu :shy:

Guest Classified

I'm on a rather standard PC at the moment... 1.8ghz Celeron, 256mb RAM and XP PRO corp. Though I've read up on some forums and found it's rather common my issue with Xvid's playing in slow motion, and found that it could well may be the BIOS set-up. One said that he got round the problem by going into the catche part of BIOS and changed it form ''write through'' to ''write back'' only problem is, is that I can't find catche in my BIOS.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe your RAM multiplier is wrong? This is also in your BIOS.

Also, try uninstalling the Mega Codec Pack (cleanly of course) and installing the K-Lite Full Pack instead. Any change?

Have you tried another media player such as WMP9 or 10?

Guest Classified

I've used all media players, and no luck. Used the other K-Lite pack and no joy. On the issue of RAM in BIOS, where is that? and is it an ''enable'' and disable'' issue, because I can't find any settings that aren't that, for instance I can't find a setting in BIOS that show ''write through'' and ''write back'' like i read in some forum about the Xvid problem.

another thing, have you lowered you video cards acceleration lately?

Right click desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot

make sure everything there is enabled and set to full :shy:

edit: is your PC an OEM (dell, gateway, etc.), they tend to have a restricted BIOS?

Guest Classified

It's a Matrox millenium Inc 2D graphics card. Gasp you may, but there's nothing wrong with it, it's just these damn Xvid's. On the issue of updating drivers, it's fine. So i'm still struggling on how to get this irritating problem solved.

Cheer up Classified.

I use BS Player and theres is an option to set how fast you want to watch your vids, why dont you try it out. Its also a popular "Low Ram usage" program :shy:

Download and i'll tell you how to do it if ya want :shy:

• Administrator

Start the Display applet in Control Panel (go to Start, Control Panel, then click Display).

From the General tab, click Advanced, then select the Troubleshoot tab.

Try moving the slider one setting lower at a time. Then playing the video. If you notice no improvements post back.

Guest Classified

Nothing whatsoever... I've used all media players in the player sector and they all play Xvid's in unbearable slow motion, all but one, that one being BSplayer, it plays no video, yet plays sound. On the contrary, as I've stated before... other video formats are fine, they play correctly and no problem at all, it's just these damn Xvid's. From the amount of forums I've read, it seems in most cases it's a common problem with so called 'standard' machines, and considering 99.9% of media players actually play the sound and video, it does not seem like a codec issue. On the issue of it being a common problem, one person said it was a BIOS setting which he said change the BIOS cache setting to ''write back instead of ''write through'' only problem with that, is, that I can't find a setting in my BIOS which has such terms. Please, someone help. Thank you.

Archived