Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anuraag

Start Is Back - 1.1

anuraag

Start is back!

Congratulations! You've just found the way to relieve your (and your users) Windows 8 pain.

StartIsBack returns Windows 8 a real fully featured start menu and start button, behaving exactly like the ones in Windows 7.

StartIsBack radically improves desktop usability and makes new Start screen clutter-free.

StartIsBack is fully native lightweight zero-privileges program, cheap and fair, fast, stable and secure.

• Boot to desktop

Posted Image

Your session would start with the desktop. Always. Unlike other solutions, StartIsBack goes directly to desktop every time without flashing Start Screen even for a millisecond.

• Original fully-featured Windows 7 start menu

Posted Image

StartIsBack restores original Windows 7 start menu with all its features: search, drag&drop, pinned and recently used apps, fully customizable settings. Start button and Start menu look and behave exactly as they used to in Windows 7.

• Desktop and Modern interfaces are clearly separated

Posted Image

StartIsBack is the only tool which is able to provide consistency in Windows 8 by separating desktop and modern programs. Real work is done on desktop while new Start screen turns into launcher for modern apps only.

• Make Start screen clutter-free

Posted Image

Windows 8 forces you to organize new Start screen which can quickly become a long list of mess with automatically pinned programs. This is no longer the case with StartIsBack. If you turn Start screen into Apps screen, you won't have the pain to manage two Start places.

• Totally native

Posted Image

StartIsBack does not run any additional services or programs. It integrates into your computer smoothly. It does not require any other tools or frameworks to install and can be installed without administrative privileges. Start menu is fully localized into your language with same metrics and names Windows 7 had.

• Rich customization and configuration

Posted Image

StartIsBack allows you to configure many aspects of appearance and behavior of Start menu and Modern UI elements. This is done in most reliable way, within attractive and easy configuration UI.

• More to come!
Version History

Version 1.1,

• Fixed: uninstall could fail to remove settings / license
  • Fixed: taskbar unhide didn't work in start button area
  • New: silent install (/silent for user install; /elevated /silent for machine install; if machine install must be run with admin rights; does not start explorer back); (i would recommend using RecImg instead)
  • New: option to start with Metro start screen
  • New alternate orb (by PainteR)
  • Less restrictions (same as Win7) on items which can be pinned to start menu
  • Start button menu shows same menu items as in Win7
  • Fix: opening start button context menu did not prevent autohide
  • New: option to invoke start screen with Win key
  • New translations

Also made sure that setup executable is no longer flagged by some bizzare AVs

Homepage

DOWNLOAD: 30days trial

Precracked Credits to Lord Spectre for crack and new_age_messiah for sharing.

Site: http://ge.tt

Sharecode: /api/1/files/4TdQ4zR/0/blob?download [?]

Trial reset

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage3]

I have created exe using autoit to delete above key. schedule it using Windows task scheduler

Site: http://ge.tt

Sharecode: /api/1/files/6GUSsxQ/0/blob?download [?]

kk007

Its really awesome and best among all other start button options released so far... working completely...though my NORTON detected it as virus 2 times I ignored and installed it disabling Norton and its really clean and best

-Smallest program for start button/menu.

-All required Windows 7 and Windows 8 functionality are maintained as it is.

-Unlike others (Start menu 8; start 8 etc...) it doesn't affect system performance at all... exactly same boot up time and that too without any glitches of windows 8 start menu.

Must give it a try and you will forget others... :) :rolleyes: :showoff: :showoff: :rolleyes:

new_age_messiah

Thank you.

You right better than Start8 :D

Tell me anuraag this trick will make "start is back" forever 30 days??

anuraag

Yes you need to delete that key every 30 days.

House_maniac

its better than start8 it feels more like seven but i went back to start8 as till now no medecine is available for this one sadly! i can see as soon as its medecine will be available so many will ditch start8

Luke77

its better than start8 it feels more like seven but i went back to start8 as till now no medecine is available for this one sadly! i can see as soon as its medecine will be available so many will ditch start8

but it's cost only 3$ for two pc ... if it's so good, why don't buy it? :(

House_maniac

because if i were to buy it i would never be on warezforums man ;) i would use legit windows 8 and everything legit

Stig

For the people who have tried both Start8 (which I think is superb) and StartIsBack.

What gives StartIsBack the edge over Start8?

Start8 replicates the Windows 7 menu superbly. And it is very configurable.

What does StartIsBack do that Start8 doesn't?

anuraag

All things which makes startisback better from any other start menu is in first post.

new_age_messiah

I made a test and startisback is faster and made the boot to desktop better than start8

Stig

All things which makes startisback different from any other start menu is in first post.

OK.

I guess I will just have to try it for myself, because the first post doesn't appear to highlight the differences from Start8.

By the way... When you search from the start button, does StartIsBack search through Microsoft Outlook email, calendar etc like Windows 7 did?

Windows 8 and Start8 does NOT.

anuraag

OK.

I guess I will just have to try it for myself, because the first post doesn't appear to highlight the differences from Start8.

I will tell you the major difference, other differences are minor.

Your session would start with the desktop. Always. Unlike other solutions, StartIsBack goes directly to desktop every time without flashing Start Screen even for a millisecond.

StartIsBack is the only tool which is able to provide consistency in Windows 8 by separating desktop and modern programs. Real work is done on desktop while new Start screen turns into launcher for modern apps only.

StartIsBack does not run any additional services or programs. It integrates into your computer smoothly. It does not require any other tools or frameworks to install and can be installed without administrative privileges. Start menu is fully localized into your language with same metrics and names Windows 7 had.

By the way... When you search from the start button, does StartIsBack search through Microsoft Outlook email, calendar etc like Windows 7 did?

Windows 8 and Start8 does NOT.

I don't use any of them. So don't know.

kk007

@anuraag as I've already mentioned...-Unlike others (Start menu 8; start 8 etc...) it doesn't affect system performance at all... exactly same boot up time and that too without any glitches of windows 8 start menu. While start8 lags during boot and direct booting to desktop...startisback does the job perfectly well!!

tezza

Start is Back :showoff: , just tried this after removing Start8 and this is a keeper, thanks anuraag .

jamesDDI

start is back is best, i have purchased license for 5 pc, price is so small ;)

kien_vip

sound so good, i'll remove start 8 to try start is back. hope my decision is true

calguyhunk

because if i were to buy it i would never be on warezforums man ;) i would use legit windows 8 and everything legit

Things are different for Microsoft, Adobe, Symantec etc. - The big fat software companies. Most of us have no love lost for 'em. But small devs who actually make useful programs and price them sensibly need to be encouraged. I don't use the leaked keys for WinRar, say for instance. I either use the Reshack trick or endure the pop-up saying that my evaluation time is over. ;)

There's a pride in doing things the right way. I'd have bought the $15 Win8 upgrade (only ~ $13 in India) if they were not making things so difficult for their to-be customers. I have bought moderately priced AV before. (Kaspersky prices their products in India at a fraction of the European/American prices). I'd have bought it again, but unfortunately, they can't make certain features work on 64 bit Windows :(

Win7 explorer for Win8 is a wonderful abridged version of SiB, and I'm loving it to bits. If I really like SiB and it's not buggy, I'll definitely consider buying it. Till then, Anuraag's trick is gonna be just fine :)

Congrats to Denzel. I hope some of you who genuinely like it will have it in your hearts to buy it if you genuinely think that it has made your W8 experience a little bit better. $1 (Rs. 50) for each PC is surely not too much to ask for ;)

What gives StartIsBack the edge over Start8?

Start8 replicates the Windows 7 menu superbly. And it is very configurable.

What does StartIsBack do that Start8 doesn't?

Therein lies the point. Start is Back doesn't replicate the Win 7 menu. It is the Win 7 menu. It is Microsoft's own code which is why it integrates perfectly into the OS without any additional resource usage. In fact SiB stops the loading of Metro (according to the developer), thereby reducing RAM usage :yes:

It uses the Win 7 explorer.exe and integrates in into Win8. That gives it authentic translucency and you don't get the 'Metro flash' at every boot-up unlike other Start Menu replacements/replicators. It doesn't add any extra processes to your start up either. It's not a Start Menu Emulator unlike Classic Shell or Start8. It is the lost Start Menu from Windows 7.

Ehsan

You're right :)

but believe me.....money is not always the problem!

for example "sanction" between the countries doesn't let people of some countries have ANY international account, so even if a great software costs 1$ for life-time, they can't pay!

DKT27

The reason I can't buy it is I don't have credit card access. So even if it's 50 cents, I can't. :)

But yea, one of the bottom lines (pun intended) of all the file sharing rules is, "Support the developers. If you can afford it, buy it.". ;)

WebMan

How to add transparency to start menu and taskbar ?

Thank you...

calguyhunk

How to add transparency to start menu and taskbar ?

Thank you...

The Start Menu will be transparent automatically, seeing as this is the exact same one as in Win7. The taskbar will be semi-transparent, but in general Aero Glass will not be enabled. This is what happens when you try to run an OS essentially created for low powered ultrabooks and tablets on high powered Desktops :(

DKT27

A small question. You guys say it uses the Windows 7 start menu from explorer.exe, but the Explorer and other things looks to remain the same (from the description and the screenshots). How come?

calguyhunk

A small question. You guys say it uses the Windows 7 start menu from explorer.exe, but the Explorer and other things looks to remain the same (from the description and the screenshots). How come?

Explorer Ribbon is still there, it's not explorer.exe related!